May 4th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

A common mock for the New York Giants in the 2014 NFL Draft has been North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron, who is known for his explosive play-making ability in the passing game. Whether or not the Giants ultimately select him with the No. 12 pick remains to be seen, but General Manager Jerry Reese admitted earlier this week that every team league-wide wants a tight end who can change a game.

"Everybody needs a play-making tight end. I think all offenses… you want a playmaker at every position if you can," Reese said. "I think every team wants a Pro Bowl-style tight end, they want a couple of Pro Bowl wide receivers, they want a Pro Bowl running back. Sure, you’d like a big, strapping tight end. Sure."

But the real question is "do the Giants currently have one?" And if not, is that a target area in the upcoming NFL Draft?

Reese seemed relatively reluctant to answer or directly address either inquiry, expressing some clear annoyance with the line of questioning.

"We have a couple young tight ends and it’s time for those guys to develop and play. Obviously we’ll continue to look as we move forward. We want to get good players at every position," Reese said. "Everyone wants big, fast tight ends who can block and catch balls. It’s the same thing all over the league. Everybody wants those guys."

As it stands, the Giants feature tight end depth that includes Kellen Davis, Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell and Daniel Fells — not exactly murderer's row of game-changing tight ends. However, Reese sounded like a man who may be content with that going into the season as he skirted questions about options in the NFL Draft.

"There are good tight ends in the draft. We’re going to evaluate them all the same. If somebody’s up there for us to pick, if it’s a tight end, if it’s a receiver… we could use a good player at any position," he added.

Although a tight end may eventually be selected, Reese didn't sound like someone who planned to go that direction with the team's first-round pick.

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Daniel Fells, Eric Ebron, Football, Jerry Reese, Kellen Davis, Larry Donnell, New York, New York Giants, NFL

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jerry Reese Noncommittal on Current Tight Ends, Potential Plans to Draft One”

1.  dremac82 says:

Dude is so hard to read. On another note, some serious ads on this site today. As soon as I got on, two loud ads started playing at the same time, took me a while to find them and get them closed and then another one started.

2.  kujo says:

When it was all said and done, the downfall of the 2013-2014 New York Giants was NOT a lack of production out of the tight end position. It was similarly not a lack of playmaking out of the group of Hakeem Nicks, Ruben Randle, David Wilson or any other skill positions on the offense.

No, the issue was essentially the same thing it has been in every non-Super Bowl year: the terrible offensive f’n line.

We’ve made some good strides towards reducing this deficit this offseason, but let’s be serious here– our offensive line is still riddled with question marks–can Beatty return to 2013 form? Has Snee’s recent decline been the result of now-healed injuries, or is he just washed up? Will this Walton guy play as well as he did before his own injury streak, or be yet another Reese bust signing? Finally, are we ever going to get anything out of the Dynamic Duo of 4th round picks, James Brewer and Brandon Mosley?

These questions have been around for years, by the way; as anyone who’s been on Giants 101 for any length of time can tell you, I’ve been railing hard for a sort of wholesale change to the entire process of acquiring offensive linemen, be it via the draft OR free agency. The whole thing has always been far too predicated on the assumption that OL coach Pat Flaherty could turn nuggets of sh*t into nuggets of gold. As we’ve seen, that simply hasn’t been the case in well over 3 years.

Thus, when Reese drafted Pugh last year, and spent big money on Schwartz this year, he’s essentially agreeing with me.

So, what do I expect on Thursday, Friday and Saturday? I expect us to draft no less than 2 OL in the top 4 rounds. Who will they be? While I have always been on-record as wanting a WR or DB in the first, it sure seems like this Zack Martin could be the guy at 12–he’s versatile, athletic, mean and he’s never threatened to rape someone. But if they don’t go that route at 12, there’s a litany of interior linemen available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The important thing to realize is that Reese knows where his bread is buttered. This team goes precisely nowhere without Eli, and he’s currently slated to miss spring OTAs because of an injury suffered behind a historically-bad offensive line. I may not be his biggest fan, but Jerry Reese isn’t a fool, and don’t be surprised when he does in one offseason what he SHOULD have been doing the last several: invest premium money AND draft picks into the most important non-QB group on any football team.

3.  kujo says:

Oh, and does anyone know if Aaron Donald has any special non-football talents? I want to know so that I can create a pun about how mad I’ll be if Reese does the unthinkable and drafts an undersized, “athletic” defensive tackle “with a high motor” at #12.

•  BillyS says:

Even if I could think of one I wouldn’t tell you since I’m in the draft Aaron Donald bandwagon.

But I do agree about the offensive line. My dream scenario would be Jake Matthews falling to us because I think he’s the most solid of the OTs available. I think Robinson has more upside, but I want the sure thing right now with this pick. I’ve always loved Lewan’s talent, but the off-field stuff really will make him less appealing to the Giants. Then there’s Zack Martin. I’m torn on him, but in the end I think he’d be solid. I’m leaning away from grabbing a TE and WR early on. This is a deep draft and there are definitely some good prospects later on.

•  kujo says:

Donald is going to be yet another undersized DT, taken in the 1st round, only to bust before his rookie deal is up. You can throw out comparisons to other DTs who are similar in size and game-type to him, and I’ll just lean back on the DOZENS of similar players whose names you DON’T know because they were too small and couldn’t hack it in the NFL, “motor” and “athleticism” notwithstanding.

If he’s the pick, I will unleash flurry of profanity and rage unseen since I “flipped a sh*t” about JPP.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I fear he is Marvin Austin part 2 and a clone of what we have on the roster already, Cullen Jenkins.

•  skinnydoogan says:

285 is real small for a DT in the NFL.

•  kujo says:

One of those players you listed is an excellent player.

The other is Marvin Austin.

If he turns out to be a Cullen Jenkins, I’d be wrong…but he’d STILL not be worth a top-15 pick. His game is based on his ability to overcome his smaller frame (6’0, 284) with his speed and his athleticism. And that usually works in college, but it rarely does in the NFL.

He’s a fine prospect, but I wouldn’t go near him in the 1st round.

•  kujo says:

FWIW, Jenkins has 2 inches and 20+ pounds on Donald. Austin was also 6’2, but at least he weighed north of 310 lbs!

•  skinnydoogan says:

I was referring to the fact that Jenkins is more of a rush the passer guy, who relies on finesse.

•  rlhjr says:

LMFAO…………………………..

Good to see a post from you. Someone asked about a draft selection poll.
      I know you are up to your ears in work “teach”.

I think the offensive line will be well served by Reese selecting NFL caliber talent.
      To be kind, he’s basically selected project and bottom of the heap type players for offensive line since he’s been here. Same for Accorsi so don’t anyone go there.

It’s just organizational policy and has been when the team has won more than 6 games in a season. And they have been very dependent on the OL coach to do alchemy on the pieces of lead that have been thrown his way.

I think with the players in place, grabbing like Yankey and Bitonio will do just fine.
      Because those kids can play and there is something to work with.

The team still needs a receiving complement to Cruz. A pass rushing/run stopping defensive end. Linebacking insurance Will Hill insurance, David Wilson insurance.
      You get the picture. One thing is for sure, the young offensive linemen already on the Giants roster just will not do. Because if they could play, even a deaf dumb and blind coaching staff would have put them in the game. They suck and it’s time Reese started picking of the top/middle of the stack instead of the bottom.

And that goes for just about every position with the exception of defensive line and safety. I do see a scenario where Lewan could fall and be the pick. I’m just not sure they would select Martin if he were to fall. I am sure however that offensive line will be represented at least in rounds two and three.