In the first week of free agency, the New York Giants had a two-year, $8 million deal almost wrapped up with Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker/defensive end O'Brien Schofield, but a failed physical halted the deal.
Because of previous knee issues, the Giants decided to pull the plug completely on the agreement with Schofield and moved on, which eventually lead to the Giants signing Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Jameel McClain.
On Friday, Schofield announced via his own Twitter account that he was re-signing with the Seahawks on a one-year deal.
After failing his physical with the Giants, Schofield waited almost a month before doing anything with other teams; he worked out for and passed a physical with the Tennessee Titans on April 10 but didn't sign with them and continued to wait for an opportunity to sign on with a team in 2014. Schofield chose to return to the team in which he won a Super Bowl with back in February.
In 15 games for the Seahawks, Schofield had one sack and nine tackles in 15 games, two of which he started in while playing both at the outside linebacker and defensive end spots. The year before with the Arizona Cardinals, Schofield had four sacks to go along with 34 tackles in nine games.
Some people never understood why the Giants actually signed Schofield to begin with and called it a questionable move by Jerry Reese, but given that there were issues with his physical due to knee problems, the Giants may have avoided disaster and find themselves fortunate if the knee problems persist in 2014. So instead of Schofield being the Giants problem this year, he's Seattle's issue to deal with.
Schofield and the Seahawks will see the Giants at CenturyLink Field in Week 10 on November 9; the Giants were shutout by the Seahawks 23-0 this past December in Week 15 at MetLife Stadium.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- LB O’Brien Schofield, Who Nearly Signed with Giants, Worked Out for Titans & Passed Physical
- Sidney Rice Re-Signs with Seattle Seahawks; New York Giants Had Some Interest
- New York Giants Agree to Terms with Former Seattle Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond
- New York Giants Deal with O’Brien Schofield Now Dead: Report
- New York Giants Agree to Terms with Linebacker O’Brien Schofield
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1an3