May 2nd, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

In the first week of free agency, the New York Giants had a two-year, $8 million deal almost wrapped up with Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker/defensive end O'Brien Schofield, but a failed physical halted the deal.

Because of previous knee issues, the Giants decided to pull the plug completely on the agreement with Schofield and moved on, which eventually lead to the Giants signing Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Jameel McClain.

On Friday, Schofield announced via his own Twitter account that he was re-signing with the Seahawks on a one-year deal.

After failing his physical with the Giants, Schofield waited almost a month before doing anything with other teams; he worked out for and passed a physical with the Tennessee Titans on April 10 but didn't sign with them and continued to wait for an opportunity to sign on with a team in 2014. Schofield chose to return to the team in which he won a Super Bowl with back in February.

In 15 games for the Seahawks, Schofield had one sack and nine tackles in 15 games, two of which he started in while playing both at the outside linebacker and defensive end spots. The year before with the Arizona Cardinals, Schofield had four sacks to go along with 34 tackles in nine games.

Some people never understood why the Giants actually signed Schofield to begin with and called it a questionable move by Jerry Reese, but given that there were issues with his physical due to knee problems, the Giants may have avoided disaster and find themselves fortunate if the knee problems persist in 2014. So instead of Schofield being the Giants problem this year, he's Seattle's issue to deal with.

Schofield and the Seahawks will see the Giants at CenturyLink Field in Week 10 on November 9; the Giants were shutout by the Seahawks 23-0 this past December in Week 15 at MetLife Stadium.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, O'Brien Schofield, Seattle Seahawks

20 Responses to “O’Brien Schofield, Who Nearly Signed with New York Giants, Re-Signs with Seattle Seahawks”

1.  Nosh.0 says:

I have to disagree with the people that think skill positions right now are a bigger need than the O-Line.

I understand people aren’t sold on Randle, Jurnigan, and Robinson. But lets make sure we don’t mistake unknowns for bad players. The 3 above mentioned players are exactly that, unknown. And in the case of the WR’s, unknowns with clear ability that has not yet translated into production. But it is certainly a fair bet to think that all 3 players can and will produce heading into their 3rd and 4th seasons.

OL on the other hand is a known weakness. It was one of the worst units in football last season and for all the free agent signings we made, we only signed one starter along the OL. Currently we are set to start Will Beatty at LT, JD (I haven’t played in 2 seasons) Walton at Center, and Chris “I seriously considered retiring” Snee. That’s not a group you can win with. And it’s certainly not a group that can compete with teams like Seattle and San Fran.

We have young unknowns at WR and TE right now. But both WR’s have flashed skills, and given the relatively high draft choices we used to select them and their low salaries, it would be foolish to not give them every opportunity to contribute.

OL on the other hand we have known commodities. Snee and Walton being healthy for 16 games and playing well is the plan of a fool. Those 2 are only on the roster for insurance. The Giants will select 2 OL in the first 3 rounds next weekend, completing the overhaul of a unit that desperately needed it. Book it.

•  ERICHONIUS says:

I agree with you that we need OL over WR/TE. However, I dont think we will go with 2 OL in the first 3 rounds. We will try to pick up a second OL (think center) with a mid-late pick, and hope that one of the other linemen on the roster will step up. I have a feeling that Coughlin will try to roll into the season with the OL as it is today. He will drag his feet on playing any rookie along the line. That includes if we draft Zack Martin or Lewan.

2.  JT Jumbo says:

Just because an olineman is graded in the 1st round doesn’t mean they are worth it. Oline is overrated. There is no skill involved in those positions either you can block or you cant and it just so happened that our guys last year could not. There is however a huge difference is skill position players from the 1st to the 2nd round. It is clear when a player can ball or cant ball. The Dolphins in my opinion wasted a 1st overall pick on Jake Long because they let him leave. I think that was the same year Matt Ryan was picked? Can you imagine if they picked him instead where their team might be? Mike Evans can make a difference for the Giants just being on the field. Matchup problems, double coverage, leaping ability combined with speed. None of those olineman will change the Giants in the way Mike Evans would I 100% guarantee.

•  JT Jumbo says:

I fully understand the oline issues and there are some holes remaining. However, oline isn’t something that should be addressed via high in the draft. Theres a reason those guys out wide get paid a lot and will leave when their rookie deals expire. Its better to invest in every 4 years of young hungry and healthy talent in the skill positions than it is to waste picks on things that grow on trees in the NFL and lurk in FA.

•  Nosh.0 says:

We’re just on total opposite sides of the spectrum on this one. We’ll agree to disagree.

•  Eric S says:

Your jake Long vs Matt Ryan analogy is not relevant here. If the choice is between a franchise QB and a LT you take the franchise QB assuming of course you’re sold on him which Miami obviously wasn’t. We are not in need of a Franchise QB and the debate is OLine vs “skill position” players. By the way understanding angles, leverage, hand placement et al are just some of the skills along the OLine. Just because you and I are not so sophisticated as to understand all the intricacies of positions few pay close attention to doesn’t mean no skill is required. This draft is deep at WR. We can grab a stud at OLine or dline(Donald) at 12 and a WR in the 2nd.

No on Evans for me by the way. He’s big but he’s not a burner and he lacks short area burst to separate.

•  Nosh.0 says:

You know what Mike Evans will be for whatever team takes him in the top 10? The Wide Receiver version of Ron Dayne.

•  NM-GIANT says:

Nosh, Did you happen to watch some Oddis Beckum Jr Highlights? I think he is better then Evans. I’m not sure i would add another Oline in the first though, if everyone is healthy that pick is going to be sitting behind Beatty or Snee. We need a play maker who can score at anytime when on the field, Beckum or Ebron are my picks.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I like him. I still like Lee more but OBJ can ball. Really any WR is better than Evans. Every time I watch him I can’t help but notice how stiff he is. Dude is a Tight End. But I liked what I saw from Beckum.

Also, I realize TC has a bad history with sitting talented rookies behind washed up vets. But that’s not enough of a reason to draft or not draft a player. Plus, Mara and JR won’t let that s-h>i-t fly this year. If we take a Tackle at 12 he’s starting week 1.

3.  norm says:

Really looking forward to watching the meltdown here when Reese selects Anthony Barr at #12. It’ will make Chernobyl look like a Chanukah menorah.

•  Nosh.0 says:

If they make Barr a DE I can talk myself into that pick. Still think OT is the pick, but an athletic DE like Barr who is still raw I can get behind. Really anyone other than Ebron, Evans or Gilbert I can talk myself into.

•  NM-GIANT says:

Im thinking the player we select in round 1 will need to be able to start day 1. We need starters, and in my opinion we can get one in round 1 (WR or TE) and 1 with our second pick (oline). That will make everyone happy.

•  aikitim says:

It’s alright, Barr will be the JPP of DE’s….

•  Sintexo says:

Put me firmly in the camp that if Lewan or Martin are there (maybe Donald), that they are the pick. Grab one of ASJ or the best WR available in the 2nd. With the WR depth it’s looking like they could even put off WR until the 3rd.

•  Begiant says:

Imagine if Reese selects Easly

4.  Begiant says:

Q: Is J.D. Walton your starting center, or any possibility you might move Pugh inside?

JR: Yeah, I read Big Blue View, too, and I can’t comment on any speculation about Justin moving to center. We just want to play the best 5 guys. We like football players and we like versatile guys.
    ——————–
    BBV?…Dammit Jerry how could you!
    - Dan Benton

5.  BillyS says:

I’ve gone back and forth on the whole Ebron decision. Sometimes I like the thought of him, but other times I think we can get a solid enough guy a few rounds later. I think he’d be good, but I don’t know if we’d utilize him enough. I think that with Eli we’d be better suited getting a bigger TE since he seems to have more success throwing to guys who are about 6’7″ instead of 6’3″-4″. I don’t think I’d hate Ebron, but I guess what I’m trying to say is ……. maybe Donald wouldn’t be the worst pick at #12. I watched more tape on him and I won’t lie…the guy is terrific. He may be “small”, but he plays bigger. He actually reminds me of when we used to play Tuck on the inside. He is a disruptor. He penetrates. The guy actually uses his hands and is flat out STRONG.

I was originally one preaching for Taylor Lewan. I love a great offensive line, and there’s no denying we need help, but I think the red flags (assault) will scare the Giants away. If Jake Matthews is available then I’d love him, but guys…Aaron Donald. That’s my guy.

•  norm says:

I’m on record as predicting a pass rusher as the selection at 12 so Donald would hardly surprise me. However, I think that Barr’s measureables are more in line with the prototypical Jerry Reese pass rusher.

I also think that Reese will be seduced by Barr’s upside. I know that many are of the belief that the selection at 12 should be expected to step in and start right away and that Barr likely won’t be a plug ‘n’ play addition in a 4-3 defense. I doubt that will deter Reese. That Barr has vaulted himself into top-10 conversation as a DE/OLB just two years after making the switch from RB suggests that he’s the kind of high ceiling pass rusher that makes Jerry Reese wet himself.

Unless he has undergone a substantial philosophical shift, I just can’t see Reese passing on a potential home run hitting pass rusher in favor of an OT (Martin) who sounds like Justin Pugh V 2.0, i.e. someone whom will enjoy a solid but unspectacular pro career. The only way he passes on Barr/Donald for an OT is if Matthews unexpectedly falls to 12.

•  aikitim says:

I was high on Barr early in the off season. I think I would be on board with the pick if we were considering using him in a true Joker role, a la Von Miller, with the caveat that we retained Jon Beason to help him in the transition to the nuances of an NFL linebacker.

The Giants defensive staff, however, don’t exactly have the best track record of putting people in that kind of a position and setting them up to succeed. (See: Sintim, Clint, Kiwanuka, Mathais, etc.)

Though we retained Beason, it seems Barr is now being pigeon holed as a DE, and I’m not so hot on him in that role. I think he’s weak against the run and doesn’t set the edge well enough for an NFL defensive end. I think DaMontre was a better prospect out of college especially at DE, and hopefully if he is healthy and gets on the field he will shine across from JPP, healthy or not.

I would prefer, if we go pass rusher, that we look at Donald at 12, or look at a Tuitt or Crichton in the 2nd round.

I am sick of speculating though, and next weekend can not come any sooner….