Shortly after it was announced that quarterback Eli Manning underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his left ankle, the New York Giants released a statement saying the timeframe for his return would be roughly six weeks. That timetable would have put Manning back on the field in time for mini-camp on June 17th, but General Manager Jerry Reese poured cold water on those hopes Thursday afternoon, saying Easy E will likely not return to the field until training camp.
"He'll be back when he gets back. We're not going to rush him back. We know he'll be back in the summer. That's important to us," Reese said. "If he can do something in the spring we'll be happy to see him out there."
Despite the setback that has been caused by his injured left ankle, Reese maintains that 2013 was an anomaly for his franchise quarterback and that Manning not only appears determined to bounce back in 2014, but that the team fully expects him to return to elite status.
"I believe he'll bounce back and have a terrific season," Reese added. "Eli's a smart guy. I think he's driven to prove that last year was an odd year."
Meanwhile, Reese noted that all newly signed quarterbacks will compete for the back-up role behind Manning and that Ryan Nassib is expected to receive the bulk of the Spring playing time.
"We'll take a real good look at him," Reese said of Nassib. "He didn't have the chance to play. He'll get a lot of work this spring."
It may also be worth noting that Reese would also not rule out potentially trading Nassib if the right opportunity presented itself.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning Healing Quickly from Ankle Surgery; Expects to Be Ready for Camp
- New York Giants QB Coach Danny Langsdorf: Eli Manning is “Motivated” to Bounce Back
- Quarterback J.R. Reese, Son of New York Giants GM Jerry Reese, to Walk on at Rutgers
- Jerry Reese: New York Giants “Not Afraid” to Draft Another QB in 2014 NFL Draft — Even at No. 12
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese: We Did Our Homework on John Jerry Before Signing Him
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1amb