With less than 10 days remaining until the 2014 NFL Draft, an overwhelming amount of uncertainty still exists. The New York Giants are clearly in need of a tight end, but also remain in need of some talented young offensive linemen. And although they've been tied to names like Erin Ebron (TE, North Carolina) and Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan), a recent Star-Ledger report would seem to suggest they value Zack Martin (OT, Notre Dame) above all others.
Word on the street is that the Giants prefer Martin to Lewan. The Notre Dame product comes with less baggage and, despite common perception, is more physical in the run game.
In addition to Martin apparently topping the Giants' draft board, The Star-Ledger also reports the team has "cooled" on Eric Ebron and now appear unlikely to seriously consider him with the No. 12 overall pick.
Everything I've heard in recent months and weeks indicates the Giants aren't especially high on him, and that they won't draft him at No. 12. Even though misdirection is common this time of the year, that disqualified him for this list.
The full Star-Ledger list (which does not include players not expected to be available at No. 12) goes as follows:
- Zack Martin (OT, Notre Dame)
- Jake Matthews (OT, Texas A&M)
- Ha-Ha Clinton Dix (S, Alabama)
- Mike Evans (WR, Texas A&M)
- Odell Beckham Jr. (WR, LSU)
- Aaron Donald (DT, Pittsburgh)
- Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan)
- C.J. Mosley (LB, Alabama)
- Anthony Barr (DE, UCLA)
- Ryan Shazier (LB, Ohio State)
The Giants very rarely let their draft plans/draft board slip into the public forum, so fans should take this with a grain of salt. But assuming it is accurate, how would you feel about the board shaping up this way? Chime in!
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ak5