April 29th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

With less than 10 days remaining until the 2014 NFL Draft, an overwhelming amount of uncertainty still exists. The New York Giants are clearly in need of a tight end, but also remain in need of some talented young offensive linemen. And although they've been tied to names like Erin Ebron (TE, North Carolina) and Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan), a recent Star-Ledger report would seem to suggest they value Zack Martin (OT, Notre Dame) above all others.

Word on the street is that the Giants prefer Martin to Lewan. The Notre Dame product comes with less baggage and, despite common perception, is more physical in the run game.

In addition to Martin apparently topping the Giants' draft board, The Star-Ledger also reports the team has "cooled" on Eric Ebron and now appear unlikely to seriously consider him with the No. 12 overall pick.

Everything I've heard in recent months and weeks indicates the Giants aren't especially high on him, and that they won't draft him at No. 12. Even though misdirection is common this time of the year, that disqualified him for this list.

The full Star-Ledger list (which does not include players not expected to be available at No. 12) goes as follows:

1. Zack Martin (OT, Notre Dame)
  2. Jake Matthews (OT, Texas A&M)
  3. Ha-Ha Clinton Dix (S, Alabama)
  4. Mike Evans (WR, Texas A&M)
  5. Odell Beckham Jr. (WR, LSU)
  6. Aaron Donald (DT, Pittsburgh)
  7. Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan)
  8. C.J. Mosley (LB, Alabama)
  9. Anthony Barr (DE, UCLA)
  10. Ryan Shazier (LB, Ohio State)

The Giants very rarely let their draft plans/draft board slip into the public forum, so fans should take this with a grain of salt. But assuming it is accurate, how would you feel about the board shaping up this way? Chime in!

Tags: Aaron Donald, Anthony Barr, C.J. Mosley, Eric Ebron, Football, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham, Ryan Shazier, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin

11 Responses to “New York Giants Prefer Zack Martin Over Taylor Lewan; “Cooling” on Eric Ebron: Report”

1.  GIANTT says:

So , I just want to make it clear for myself , this is a list of players the Giants like AND they think will be available when they pick ?

•  Sintexo says:

I think it’s just the author’s top 10 most likely draft selections for the giants. The article says they left off Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins because they won’t be available, and Ebron because he’s heard they’re not high on him.

•  GIANTT says:

So , this list is assuming that all the GMs picking ahead of the Giants do exactly as Kiper and Mcshay say and the GMs behind the Giants dont try and move up . so it sounds like theres a very small chance of the Giants picking any one of these .
        I guess Im officially bored as most of us are right now – cant wait to get this over with

2.  Sintexo says:

Word on the street is the Giants are one of three teams still being discussed for hard knocks, the others being the Bears and Steelers.

3.  aikitim says:

As much as I dislike the idea from a purely football standpoint, I for one would Love to see the Giants on Hard Knocks. Sure its a distraction, but it would make for great television.

I don’t think Matthews will be available at #12 unless things get very bizarre. Any of the others could still be on the board.

I’m sticking with my long-stated preference for Martin (unless Matthews falls, in which case I’d take him before the Commish had a chance to finish saying we’re on the board). The Giants MUST build that offensive line for now and the future. They got started with Pugh and Schwartz and they can hope that they have something in Mosley and pray that Beatty can at least get back to “decent” (but if they count on that they’re nuts). But they need to come out of this deep draft (including depth at offensive line positions) with two solid O-linemen. Martin is perfect because he can play four positions, he comes from a very solid college program where he played against good competition, and he didn’t really have any “bad” games (whereas Lewan did….he looked pretty lousy against Ohio State for at least the first half). You can count on Martin for a decade and that’s what this team needs.

If I’m Reese I’m taking the best available offensive lineman next month (or even contemplating trading up if for some reason there’s a run on quarterbacks and Robinson or Matthews drops a little) with my first pick and then I’m taking another one by the end of the fourth round (probably earlier if I believe a tight end or a wide receiver I like will make it to my 4th pick).

Give me Martin followed by Robinson, Moncrief or Matthews to play the X-receiver spot; Richburg (C) or Gabe Jackson (G) with the next pick; and Fiedorowicz (TE) with the 4th pick. In reality, though, I’ll trust our scouts to have, this time, found some solid offensive linemen and tight ends who can be had deeper in the draft if necessary. John Mara has spoken and people in the organization know that if the O-line doesn’t improve, fast, their jobs won’t be there much longer. So we may get a very good offensive lineman as late as the 6th round this year. On the other hand, it would be a coup to come out of May with Martin and Richburg, one a potential starter in 2014 and the other the heir apparent at center a few years down the line.

None of the guys listed will be there when we pick at #12.

•  aikitim says:

Indeed. I hope we scouted the 2nd round hopeful prospects well, because by all media and community output seems to indicate there will no longer be any 1st round prospects available when the Giants pick at #12.

Oops, I forgot. Actually, word has it that Jerry Jones has figured out a way to trade up in each of the first two rounds and pick the player Reese was about to take, after which Reese will take a very distant second choice, go to the microphone and announce that our pick was “our highest guy on the board and we’re surprised he was still there” followed by a “we think he may be the JPP of (fill in the position here) and we really like this kid”.

Meanwhile, by the third round the Giants’ draft room will be in such disarray that they will forget to get their pick to the commissioner on time and will lose sit befuddled while each of 20 teams proceed to rush their picks to the podium and eliminate the Giants from succeeding rounds.

We wind up having picked Alan Robinson (thinking we had picked the “other” Robinson) and some kid from East Nebraska Polytech whom Ross anounces “has a lot of upside so we like this guy as a solid project”.

Tom Coughlin is quoted as saying “I’m looking forward to bringing in these two young men to camp and then sitting their butts until they learn how to block, though I don’t intend to give them any snaps in preseason games so we’ll have to evaluate their blocking based strictly on the three or four opportunities we gave them against JPP in camp”.

6.  ERICHONIUS says: