Over the first month of the NFL offseason, the New York Giants were one of the most active teams and spent well over $100 million in free agent talent.
Players like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Rashad Jennings, Mario Manningham and Geoff Schwartz were just some of the talent that the Giants signed in the first couple of days in free agency and just recently, the team even added quarterbacks Josh Freeman and Rusty Smith due to the injuries to Eli Manning and Curtis Painter; injuries that will likely keep them on the sidelines for the team's OTA's next month.
With the Giants spending spree, the team currently has about $3.92 million left in salary cap space, as Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted out on Tuesday.
Giants now have ,920,088 in salary cap space after QB Josh Freeman's one-year deal was officially added to their total.— Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoNYDN) April 29, 2014
That number will eventually go up after June 1st when the Giants get $5 million back when David Baas' contract is officially off the books for the team, which would then increase that number to $8.92 million.
Two contracts that have been subject as to being restructured to give the Giants more salary cap space this offseason still have yet to be re-done by the Giants; those of Antrel Rolle and Eli Manning. Rolle's contract expires at the end of the 2014 season while Manning's deal is set to expire after 2015 if they do not get extensions from the Giants.
Note: This cap number does not include Rusty Smith's deal, which is likely to be the veteran minimum.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Were 2013 Salary Cap Problems a Result of New York Giants Being Loyal to a Fault?
- New York Giants’ Mathias Kiwanuka Takes Pay Cut; Will Make $1.5 Million in 2014
- Evan Dietrich-Smith, Buccaneers Agree to Four-Year, $14.25 Million Deal; Giants were Interested
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aka