New York Giants Have Approximately $3.92 Million Remaining in Salary Cap Space

April 29th, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

Over the first month of the NFL offseason, the New York Giants were one of the most active teams and spent well over $100 million in free agent talent.

Players like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Rashad Jennings, Mario Manningham and Geoff Schwartz were just some of the talent that the Giants signed in the first couple of days in free agency and just recently, the team even added quarterbacks Josh Freeman and Rusty Smith due to the injuries to Eli Manning and Curtis Painter; injuries that will likely keep them on the sidelines for the team's OTA's next month.

With the Giants spending spree, the team currently has about $3.92 million left in salary cap space, as Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted out on Tuesday.

That number will eventually go up after June 1st when the Giants get $5 million back when David Baas' contract is officially off the books for the team, which would then increase that number to $8.92 million.

Two contracts that have been subject as to being restructured to give the Giants more salary cap space this offseason still have yet to be re-done by the Giants; those of Antrel Rolle and Eli Manning. Rolle's contract expires at the end of the 2014 season while Manning's deal is set to expire after 2015 if they do not get extensions from the Giants.

Note: This cap number does not include Rusty Smith's deal, which is likely to be the veteran minimum.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Curtis Painter, David Baas, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Eli Manning, Football, Geoff Schwartz, Josh Freeman, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rashad Jennings, Rusty Smith

13 Responses to “New York Giants Have Approximately $3.92 Million Remaining in Salary Cap Space”

1.  ERICHONIUS says:

continuing the conversation from the last thread:
    Isnt it obvious! Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Lewan, Mathews, Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Beckham, Ebron, Clinton-Dix, Donald, Pryor, Dannard, Fuller, Mosley, Manziel, Bortles; are all GUARANTEED to go in the top 10! We are at the 12th pick so we sure as heck arent getting any of those players, and thats without considering teams trading ahead of us which will, obviously, ensure that the rams, bears, steelers, cowboys, ravens, jets, dolphins, cardinals, packers, and the eagles will ALSO pick ahead of us… probably the rest of the teams too! So, realistically, we will be left with the 249-256 picks, theres no way we are even getting close to [insert draft prospect here] !!!

•  GIANTT says:

You know that Jerruh and the ghost of Al Davis are going to trade up to get their surefire picks forcing a couple of these guys down the list to the Giants who wont waste a second nabbing one of them . Im with ff55y , I want a sure 10 year starter on the Oline and somewhere down the line someone to kick Shadys butt when the Giants play them

•  ERICHONIUS says:

You do realize my post was pure sarcasm right? I named 18 prospects that would be top 10 picks.

2.  Kettles78 says:

That is just enough room if the Giants wanted to pick me up. I can run a 4.3 4 foot dash and I am a tall 5’10 and not so solid 220lbs. I know the madden playbook pretty well….. Let me stop. Good to see they have some money left for the draft picks and possibly another filler down the road. Can’t wait for the draft and this season to get going

•  ERICHONIUS says:

Kettles, that is a good idea IF you are still around at the 12th pick. I have looked at the draft boards… and it isnt looking good.

•  Kettles78 says:

Good point. Cleveland had me in and liked my GM skills from my techmo bowl days and I think is keeping me on speed dial in case they decide to blow things up again next year

How much of the cap goes to the rookies? I seem to remember the cap allocation is something like $3MM (that isn’t what the rookies get paid, but how much they’d count against the team’s cap). If so, then they have only about $5.4MM after signing Smith. They’ll probably sign a few UDFAs and use a little of that space that way. And they’ll want a little room for signings that have to be made if someone gets injured. Sounds to me like they only have a few million remaining with which to sign anyone who is currently a free agent. That COULD get them a veteran tight end if they don’t get what they want out of the draft.

I don’t recall the exact number but the key to remember doing the offseason is that the cap is only the top 51. That’s why signing a Rusty Smith has little to no effect on the cap. So basically a vet minimum contact is always in play.

4.  rlhjr says:

The list from the last article is truly as wish list. I freely admit to favoring Ebron.
    However, no one on that list will be on the board when the 12th selection comes.
    I certainly hope Martin and other might be available for Reese.

And I am on board for snagging two quality offensive linemen. But Reese may have to get one this year and one next year.

I just think of all the names on the Giants board, Ebron stands the best chance of being around when they pick. And I don’t think for one minute Jerry Reese has cooled on a freak like Ebron. Ebron like Martin can line up at multiple positions.

•  Sintexo says:

Considering that list is 10 people long, and Mack, Clowney, Watkins, and Robinson are not on it, nor are any QBs, I can guarantee you someone on that list will be available.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

I’m going to agree with aikitim in regards to Hard Knocks. Sure it could very likely be a distraction. But, after seeing the Jets make the AFC title game in 2010 and the Bengals make the playoffs last year, it shows that a successful season is not impossible while doing hard knocks.

As a Giants fan I would love us to be on the show. It’s a great show regardless of team but would be 10 times more enjoyable if your franchise of choice is being featured.

But we all know Roger Goodell is John Mara’s b-i.t>ch. Mara says jump and Roger asks how high. Or in this particular case it will just be Mara telling Roger to put some less important franchise on.

•  G-MenFan says:

“But we all know Roger Goodell is John Mara’s b-i.t>ch.”

True dat. Which is probably the reason the draft is so late this year…wanted to give the Giants as much time as possible to take advantage of the FA signing season. That aside….

The Giants would be totally boring on this show. Coughlin would filter everything to the point of boredom. As it should be…

6.  Remy says:

Inside of the last 2 weeks before the draft, I’m going to believe “the Giants have reportedly cooled on x prospect” talk as either a smokescreen, or someone straight spinning their own speculation as something more. Don’t be misled.