New York Giants Sign QB Rusty Smith

April 28th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Despite having previously signed Josh Freeman, the New York Giants increased their quarterback talent pool to five on Monday, officially announcing that they had signed former Tennessee Titans quarterback Rusty Smith.

Smith, a former sixth-round pick of the Titans in 2010, spent four seasons in Tennessee, appearing in four games with one start. In total, he completed 23 of his 45 pass attempts for 234 yards, zero touchdowns and four interceptions. He did however, play much better during the 2013 preseason where he completed 24 of his 39 passes for 278 yards, two touchdown and one interception.

The addition of Smith could be a lot of nothing or a little more of something. And while it likely doesn't indicate any sort of setback with Eli Manning, the signing could have been made in preparation for a potential trade including 2013 fourth-round pick, Ryan Nassib. Then again, maybe the Giants are merely looking to create a pool of back-up quarterbacks so they are free to select whomever performs the best to carry into the 2014 regular season.

Details on Smith's contract were not immediately made available.

Update: Smith's addition now appears to be as a result of Curtis Painter undergoing right knee surgery. He is expected to miss four weeks.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Josh Freeman, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rusty Smith, Ryan Nassib, Tennessee, Tennessee Titans

14 Responses to “New York Giants Sign QB Rusty Smith”

QBs are like Pokemon … you must collect them all.

2.  BBWC says:

OK…….I was pretty sure something was up when they signed Freeman to a one year deal…..Now I’m positive somethings up.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I was just going to say the same thing. Maybe there is something to the Nassib trade thing……

•  Sintexo says:

I still find it hard to believe that a team that wasn’t willing to use a 1-3 pick last year on the guy is all of a sudden willing to give something of value up for him now, after getting almost zero playing time last year. I’d be real happy with getting another pick, or perhaps packaging him and our number one to move into the top 10, just find it hard to imagine.

3.  Kettles78 says:

Yeah I don’t see the Giants getting any value in return for Nassib. I think this is just stock pile as many bodies as you can for camp competition and then go with Eli plus 1 or worst case 2 (nassib and freeman)

I don’t see them cutting Nassib after using a 4th round pick on him and I don’t see how another team would possibly value somebody with no in game experience in the NFL. Even Kolb when he got traded had started a few games

Looking forward to the draft and this season

4.  GIANTT says:

So Painter had surgery – explains the signing . Figure the Giants are being cautious and are not going to push Eli . So now they have Smith , Freeman and Nassib for camp .

5.  Since 1963 says:

As I recall, John Mara said he expected Nassib to get a good look during training camp and preseason games. Unless something has happened to alter that picture that we don’t know about, I can’t see how Nassib has lost favor. And since he hasn’t actually proven that he’s better than Bridgewater, Bortles, et al., I don’t see why another team would be willing to trade for him in lieu of drafting one of them.

Well, I have no idea what is going to happen but I AM convinced that one way or the other, Freeman is a one-year rental so not a long-term solution. He wants to resurrect his career and prove he deserves a shot at a starting job. If he can prove it he’ll be gone after this season. If he cannot prove it he’ll almost certainly be gone because the Giants wouldn’t want him.

Either way it would appear that the plan is to have Nassib win the back-up job but to have Freeman in camp just in case someone proposes a crazy deal for Nassib that Reese cannot reject. Nassib has a little Bortles in him, and a little Carr too. It isn’t inconceivable that someone wants him as an alternative to using a first pick on a quarterback he isn’t sure about. Only a crazy GM would be SURE about any of this year’s crop of QBs eligible for the draft. I said it yesterday, I don’t think it’s nuts for a GM to propose trading his second pick for Nassib. He gets a question mark with a lot of the strengths of the other top prospects and the knowledge that this one spent a year in the film room with Eli learning NFL Quarterback 101.

My expectation, though, is that Nassib and Freeman see a lot of snaps in preseason and the better of them becomes the back-up for this season with the other likely on the roster too.

7.  Begiant says:

The Smith singing is most likely related to the Painter injury. I still expect to see Nassib ore in training camp and preseason. I still think the Giants QB depth chart will look like Manning, Freeman and Nassib. While it would be fantastic if a GM offered a high pick for Nassib, I highly doubt it happens.

8.  BBWC says:

Some teams had Nassib as a first rounder last year…he slipped through the cracks, that’s why the Giants moved up to get him. Now he has a year experience in the NFL under Eli, which should give him an edge over this years college prospects IMO. The fact that Nassib didn’t prove anything last year was simply because he was never given the opportunity to succeed, NOT because he didn’t play well. The Giants only gave him a series or two behind an absolutely horrid offensive line….the guy barely dropped back and was getting mauled before he could even set his feet, you can’t gage anything from that. IMO Nassib has as much chance to succeed as any of the top QB’s coming out this year given the right situation. To say he doesn’t have any trade value, I think is ridiculous. Now the Giants just signed another QB “which makes five QB’s on the roster” leads me to believe they already have a deal in the works or at least are trying to work a deal……..Five QB’s??? come on…..I don’t buy it! something is up….

•  Begiant says:

Well Painter can’t play for the next four months, so Rusty Smith is probably just filling in for him during camp. Additionally McAdoo was with the packers last year. If you recall, the Packers cut all the QBs on their roster prior to September, and signed Seneca Wallace to a one year deal and had Tolzien on he PS. We might just be worried about getting caught with our pants down if there is an injury to Eli.

•  BBWC says:

You may be right, we’ll see… I like Nassib and was looking forward to seeing him play this preseason but I still think that they are trying to shop him to see what they can get.