Despite having previously signed Josh Freeman, the New York Giants increased their quarterback talent pool to five on Monday, officially announcing that they had signed former Tennessee Titans quarterback Rusty Smith.
Smith, a former sixth-round pick of the Titans in 2010, spent four seasons in Tennessee, appearing in four games with one start. In total, he completed 23 of his 45 pass attempts for 234 yards, zero touchdowns and four interceptions. He did however, play much better during the 2013 preseason where he completed 24 of his 39 passes for 278 yards, two touchdown and one interception.
The addition of Smith could be a lot of nothing or a little more of something. And while it likely doesn't indicate any sort of setback with Eli Manning, the signing could have been made in preparation for a potential trade including 2013 fourth-round pick, Ryan Nassib. Then again, maybe the Giants are merely looking to create a pool of back-up quarterbacks so they are free to select whomever performs the best to carry into the 2014 regular season.
Details on Smith's contract were not immediately made available.
Update: Smith's addition now appears to be as a result of Curtis Painter undergoing right knee surgery. He is expected to miss four weeks.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Saturday Morning Storylines: Big Blue Works Out Free Agent QB Rusty Smith
- New York Giants Could Still Look to Sign Packers C Evan Dietrich-Smith, Saints C Brian De La Puente
- New York Giants Official on Signing Mark Sanchez: We’ll Sign Joe Namath Before We Sign Him
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Steve Smith Thrilled for Brother Malcolm Smith
- New York Giants Officially Re-Sign QB Curtis Painter
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ajd