New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning took a big step in his recovery from a surgically repaired ankle over the weekend, shedding his walking boot so that he could take part in the March of Dimes' charity walk at Lincoln Center. But despite his first steps sans the walking boot, Manning expressed some legitimate concern and urgency over the necessity of picking up Ben McAdoo's new offensive system as quickly as possible.
"[The changes] bring a sense of urgency to this time of year, to the offseason," Manning said. "For me, [it's] getting healthy, meeting teammates and learning a new playbook. We have a lot of work to do. But I'm enjoying the competition of it all, the urgency we're having right now."
Manning had previously stated it was a bit overwhelming seeing all the new faces and meeting all the new people — noting that team continuity is a must — but that's only magnified by the team's need to learn a new playbook, new terminology and, perhaps most importantly of all, developing a chemistry amongst the players both on and off the field.
"We have a lot of work to do learning the new offense," Manning said. "We have a lot of new players also. I'm trying to put a lot of faces with names and getting to know your teammates on a personal side. I thought we had a good first week."
While Manning still has plenty of time to learn the new offense and it's terminology, his ankle surgery still puts him at an unfortunate disadvantage. He'll have a lot of work to do when he is ultimately cleared to return to football activities.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning “Excited” to Learn New Offense, Work with Ben McAdoo
- Ex-Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride Feels It’s “Ludicrous” to Say Eli Manning is Declining
- New York Giants Saturday Morning Storylines: Justin Pugh Eager to Learn Big Blue’s New Offense
- Archie Manning: Lawsuit, Allegations a “Bombshell” to Eli Manning
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aj8