April 28th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning took a big step in his recovery from a surgically repaired ankle over the weekend, shedding his walking boot so that he could take part in the March of Dimes' charity walk at Lincoln Center. But despite his first steps sans the walking boot, Manning expressed some legitimate concern and urgency over the necessity of picking up Ben McAdoo's new offensive system as quickly as possible.

"[The changes] bring a sense of urgency to this time of year, to the offseason," Manning said. "For me, [it's] getting healthy, meeting teammates and learning a new playbook. We have a lot of work to do. But I'm enjoying the competition of it all, the urgency we're having right now."

Manning had previously stated it was a bit overwhelming seeing all the new faces and meeting all the new people — noting that team continuity is a must — but that's only magnified by the team's need to learn a new playbook, new terminology and, perhaps most importantly of all, developing a chemistry amongst the players both on and off the field.

"We have a lot of work to do learning the new offense," Manning said. "We have a lot of new players also. I'm trying to put a lot of faces with names and getting to know your teammates on a personal side. I thought we had a good first week."

While Manning still has plenty of time to learn the new offense and it's terminology, his ankle surgery still puts him at an unfortunate disadvantage. He'll have a lot of work to do when he is ultimately cleared to return to football activities.

Tags: Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

7 Responses to “New York Giants’ Eli Manning Says There’s a “Sense of Urgency” to Learn New Offensive System”

1.  Eric S says:

I’m sorry to hear about your father Skinnydoogan.

2.  GIANTT says:

Skinnydoogan – sorry to hear about your father , I hope that we can take your mind off things for a few moments and ease the stress

Ditto from me to skinnydoogan.

Believe me, life brings us all big bumps. In the course of just about 100 days my father died, my 61-year-old cousin died, my mother found out she has a severely-blocked carotid artery, and my first grandchild was born. Deep sorrows, great joys. That’s what we get and it’s all we get. Gotta enjoy it while we can.

I hope Giants 101 gives you something to enjoy while you go through this horrible stuff.

•  skinnydoogan says:

to add to that FF, it was your words a few months ago about spending as much time as you can with loved ones after your Dad had passed that helped me to realize that I needed to focus all my time on my Dad while I still can. I have had him for 46 years and whatever is left. I am still here “lurking” in the backround though……

Well then I did some good in this world, and for that I am thankful. And thank you for sharing that.

It really is true that all the power and monetary wealth and admiration and accomplishments do not amount to a pile of beans compared to spending time with those you love. One of the phrases I constantly try to reinforce to my children is from the preface to E.M. Forster’s Howards End (a great novel, by the way). It is simple. “Only connect”. In those two words are the secret to a fulfilling life. The rest is noise.

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Thanks, its part of life unfortunately. I just did not want anyone thinking I had bailed or crossed over to the “dark side”

I’d like to add my condolences to the list as well. Hang in there.