April 26th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

After one of the busiest offseasons in recent memory and with the 2014 NFL Draft yet to come, it's clear that the 2014 New York Giants will be vastly different than the 2013 New York Giants. But while speaking with TMZ Sports earlier this week, co-owner Steve Tisch took that to the next level, saying not only will the team be drastically different in 2014, but so will the results.

"Nothing from last year will look anything like this year," Tisch said told TMZ Sports. "This year will look like nothing from last year."

After eight straight non-losing seasons, a 7-9 finish is not something anyone in the Giants organization is proud of. The team has worked hard to create a culture of success and, for the most part, they've been able to capitalize on that. But the 2013 hiccup, which included an 0-6 start to the season, cost many their jobs and that's a testament to how serious the team is about returning to their winning ways.

But not all was talk about the comparisons between what 2014 may bring and how 2013 ended, as TMZ Sports also peppered Tisch with questions about Eli Manning, his health and the organization's decision to trade for him 10 years ago. And while Tisch stopped short of calling Eli the best pick-up league-wide of the last decade, he did acknowledge that it was the franchise's best decision over the last 10 years.

"He is certainly the Giants' best [acquisition] in the last decade," Tisch said. "And he is recovering and recuperating very nicely."

Manning, of course, is expected to be a full-go once training camp begins in June.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Tisch

8 Responses to “New York Giants Co-Owner Steve Tisch: 2014 Will Be Drastically Different than 2013”

1.  BBWC says:

I was looking at how many teams that pick ahead of us actually need QB’s and there is six of them… Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, Vikings and the Titans… Taking into consideration that a QB is the most important position, it’s really going to be interesting to see how many of those teams are willing to risk waiting to get their QB. I don’t believe the QB’s are going to last as long as some people do. Possibly 3 or 4 QB’s could be gone before we pick, which would be good news for us. It’s also going to be interesting to see if the Giants deal Nassib at some point. I just think it’s strange that the Giants signed Painter and than turned around and signed Freeman. Something is up with that…..See if I’m right and the Giants do deal Nassib at some point…. write that down!

•  BBWC says:

I was really excited to see what McAdoo could do with Nassib this year… but the more I think about the Josh Freeman signing, the more I think Giants got something up their sleeve. Nassib has a step up on any of the QB’s coming out of college this year. He has a year experience in the NFL, which could be a good bargaining chip for the Giants.

•  BBWC says:

I’m not saying that I hope the Giants trade Nassib…. I really liked Nassib coming out of college and was hoping that he would develop into a really good QB for us and maybe that will still happen.. I just have a feeling that the Giants are looking to deal Nassib if the price is right.

•  Krow says:

I think they’re actually a bit worried about Eli.

First off … please insert the usual disclaimer about Eli Manning here. Fill in the usual responses to the usual questions so we can move on.

Now … Eli is 33. At the end of his contract (2015) he’ll be within spitting distance of 35. It’s not unrealistic for a team to take steps to cover themselves in case a 35-year-old athlete starts to see his skills diminish. Many a player is done at that age. They’re probably worried … just a little. And being a prudent team they’re making contingency plans … plans they hope they don’t need … but ones they’ll be damn glad they had IF they do need them.

•  Krow says:

Noted …

Well I certainly hope that a lot of teams grab quarterbacks early, but I’m just not sure about this crop of QBs and I suspect that plenty of front offices feel the same way. Bortles and Savage may be the two that are physically most likely to be good pros, but both have huge question marks surrounding them. Manziel has been deemed everything from a potential great one to a sure-fire bust. Bridgewater and Carr have not quelled doubts about them among some very savvy observers. There are a few scouts who insist that Mettenberger and Garopollo are the most promising of them all. But the one thing that is a constant through this entire group is that none have the combination of skills, tape, size and intangibles that would make them a sure-fire thing.

I think the single thing that MIGHT lead to a run on quarterbacks that would give the Giants a big leg up when players start dropping toward our draft position is that the rookie salary structure now allows a GM to pick a quarterback without completely ruining his team’s salary cap by having to allocate an outrageous amount to an unproven QB who could cost him his job.

As to Nassib, sorry Krow but the Giants aren’t worrying about Eli yet and Nassib’s contract will end before Eli starts showing signs of decline. It is highly unlikely that they will or can keep him until he becomes a real possibility as Eli’s successor. He was taken because of Reese’s commitment to BPA and because the Giants feel they can eventually get at least a second-round pick for him versus the two lower round picks he cost them. And frankly, if I were one of those GMs with a need at quarterback I might be a lot happier trying to trade my second pick for Nassib than using my first pick on one of those very unproven commodities. That way I’d know I was getting a blue-chip player with my first pick and taking a similar risk with Nassib to what I’d be taking with the QBs who are considered the top of the heap in the draft, but at a much cheaper price and after having secured an excellent player first.

Let me say that I don’t expect Nassib to be traded during the draft. But I think it makes a lot of sense for a team to trade away their second pick to get a kid with all the physical tools, a year of working with Eli, Nassib’s reputed toughness, and in the bargain avoid taking a flyer with their first pick in a very good draft where the players at lots of positions other than quarterback are thought to be nearly sure things.

Easy translation: Give me Clowney, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Matthews, Lewan or Gilbert, plus Nassib, over any quarterback in this draft plus whomever I could get with my second pick.

•  Krow says:

Hey … I added the usual disclaimers. I’m not trying to imply that Eli isn’t going to play forever. We all know he’s the exception to the rule.