New York Giants Considered “Extreme Longshots” to Land WR Sidney Rice

April 16th, 2014 at 8:55 AM

By now it's clear that the New York Giants are not done addressing the wide receiver position. Whether they opt to sign another veteran free agent or if they decide to address the position in the draft (or both) remains to be seen, but one thing is for certain: they're looking at all available options.

Those options include former Arizona Cardinals wide receiver LaRon Byrd, who visited with the team on Tuesday, and former Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice, whom they've reportedly expressed some interest in recently. However, Byrd came and went without a contract and The Star-Ledger is now reporting that Big Blue should be considered an "extreme longshot" to land Rice.

Depending on how you would view the odds, it does seem somewhat unlikely that the Giants would engage in a bidding war — should it come to that — for Rice, but as of earlier this week, only three other teams had expressed interest in Rice: the Seattle Seahawks, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints.

While the Panthers appear to have the greatest need and willingness to spend on a wide receiver, you certainly can't count out the Saints, Seahawks or Giants.

Tags: Football, LaRon Byrd, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seahawks, Seattle Seahawks, Sidney Rice

10 Responses to “New York Giants Considered “Extreme Longshots” to Land WR Sidney Rice”

1.  GIANTT says:

These guys should all be glad that the Giants show an interest – even if they leave without a contract , it drives up their price to somebody who is also looking at them .
    Does anyone see enough money under the cap to pay him anyway ?

Given Carolina’s need and cap space I cannot see how the Giants could get Rice. But I was always more intrigued by Byrd, the very potential bust but a very athletically talented kid.

If we were to sign Byrd he would not expect any promises that he was at the top of the depth chart as the X-receiver going into camp. We’re going to draft someone who can play out there, and we’re also going to give Randle and Manningham real shots at proving they can be the guy. There will be serious competition. Signing Rice would probably have to come with an implicit guarantee that it was his job to lose, and I don’t think that would be wise.

Yeah Rice is just hopeful but after DRC I’m not totally writing it off. If I’m Rice I rather play for Carolina or Seattle because I have a fairly easy path to being the #1 WR and starter at worse. Even not considering the money.

Bryd would be a nice addition. I felt like the 6-8 WRs we had last year never had a chance to be good. I want to add WRs like Byrd that at least have a chance to be good. Maybe you add a Bryd then more of a Tyree – special teams type of WR like Stainbeck from 2 years ago.

Agreed.

I really don’t think the depth receivers ever got much of a chance last season. I still cannot understand why Murphy wasn’t at least used to stretch the defense with his raw speed. Sure, the offensive line wasn’t giving Eli time to find receivers deep, but put Murphy out wide, force the corner to cover him deep, and use the space created to throw some underneath throws that would be easy completions.

I still wonder how much of the problem with those receivers was Gilbride, Jr.

Murphy was our 4th WR so I wasn’t talking about him. But I think his issue of being him not being used much was Nicks not being the Nicks we expected, no running game and the OL. Murphy was suppose to be a deep threat but with those factors it was hard for him to contribute. From what I saw from him in blue I’m not sure he would have had the impact we both expected but given these factors he didn’t really have a chance.

Was talking to a few remaining Stanford connections and it seems the Giants have been nosing around a lot about Cameron Fleming, their big right tackle, and seem more interested in him than any of the other 3-4 prospects from the Cardinal. Interesting. He’s a quality player but pretty much a right tackle (doesn’t really have the foot speed for left tackle), which would mean that if the Giants take him (probably a 2-3 round pick) they plan on moving Pugh. I say that because I’d bet that Fleming could play right tackle right now in the NFL. He’s been in a pro-style offense his entire career and knows what he’s doing. He could start for the Giants if they moved Pugh elsewhere and Fleming would probably be a long-term solution at the position.

If Reese were shooting for a receiver with the #12 pick I am pretty sure Fleming would still be available at #43 because he’s a bit under-the-radar from what I know. Good player though.

From everything I have seen he’s more of a 3rd day (4th-7th round) type of prospect. The RT prospects are deep in this draft.

Yeah, but he has been a very consistent performer in a true pro-style offense and is a smart kid. He won’t set the world on fire but he could easily become a McKenzie-like player who can give a team a decade of very good play that can be absolutely counted upon.

If the Giants want him I think they’ll have to use their #75 pick to get him.

Of course, their inquiries might well be intended to get back to the Niners (who have a direct pipeline into Stanford football) and others to throw them off the scent of someone in whom the Giants are more interested but don’t want to show their hand. This is the time of year when everything can be a ruse.

And speaking of Stanford, another solid player who can help someone is Trent Murphy. Not an outstanding athlete but very savvy, very tough, and plays “responsibly” by almost never making the wrong read or taking himself out of position to make a play.

He could be a great fourth round pick if he lasts that long (unlikely) and would help them at the defensive end position.

He’s seems light for a DE but he does have a frame that you would think he could put on weight. I’m not in love with him but in the 4th I wouldn’t mind. He’s kind of has some similar questions football wise as Sam as a DE prospect. But Murphy has more upside to be a complete DE.