New York Giants Friday Morning Storylines: Jerry Reese Attends LSU Pro Day

April 11th, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Friday is finally here, a long week is coming to an end and, as always, we have a few New York Giants headlines for all of you to enjoy. So for the last time this work week, kick back, relax and sip your coffee as you read the following stories.

Chiceaux / Foter / Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)

Phil Simms is Not Impressed with the 2014 NFL Draft QB Class

For 10 years, one highlight leading up to the NFL Draft is talking with Phil Simms about the quarterbacks. We prepare by watching as much game tape as possible before discussing the candidates.

Simms has strong opinions about the signal callers and, as always, came up with some "wild card" candidates who aren't projected particularly high. In a few weeks, Simms will rank his top 10 and assign a round for each.

Simms says he doesn't see any of the QBs as sure-fire locks worthy of going in the first round nor does he see an elite NFL arm. When it comes to pro days, Simms said, "I expect a quarterback to really show off, his workout should look really good. … It should kind of look like Tiger Woods would on a driving range or Kobe Bryant alone in a gym shooting 3s." When it doesn't look like that, Simms has a problem with the passer. He added that the private workout is the only way to go and applauded Cleveland for working out QBs that way.

NFL Draft 2014: LSU Pro Day Attracts Giants GM Jerry Reese

Giants general manager Jerry Reese made an appearance at Alabama's pro day last month, but made sure to book a second trip to SEC country to see the best talent out of Louisiana State.

According to the NFL Network, Reese, along with John Idzik, Doug Whaley (Bills), Ruston Webber (Titans), Rick Smith (Houston), Rick Spielman (Vikings) and Kevin Colbert (Steelers) made up the general manager contingent at Wednesday's Pro Day.

Having Reese down there is a no-brainer for the Giants. Some of the best talent in the country is working out. Reese is one of the team's best scouts.

Kate Mara Still "Geeks Out" Over Meeting Giants

Kate revealed that despite the fact that her two great grandfathers founded the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers, she still gets a little shaky when she comes face to face with football players.

'I don't get nervous meeting most actors,' she said, 'but whenever I see certain football players I get really kind of crazy.'

When Kimmel pressed to find out who made Kate shake the most, she was quick to respond 'Michael Strahan.'

'I've known for such a long time – I've been on his show – but still every time I see him at a party and he recognizes me I geek out!'

Five Lingering Questions: The Pass Rush

Can the pass rush bounce back?

Only five teams in the NFL had fewer sacks than the 34 the Giants had in 2013, and 14 of those 34 walked out the door with the free-agent departures of Justin Tuck and Linval Joseph. The only addition they have made to the defensive line is former Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers, who's known as a strong edge defender against the run but has only 12 sacks in five NFL seasons so far and was mainly a part-time player in Denver in spite of having been a first-round pick in 2009.

The Giants did beef up on the back end of the defense, adding cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond and Zack Bowman and bringing back Trumaine McBride to go with Prince Amukamara. The hope there is that better coverage down the field will help enable their pass-rushers to get to the quarterback more quickly. That could represent a big philosophy shift for an organization that's always believed in building a defense front to back, but the Giants have spent a fair amount of time over the past two years lamenting teams' ability to get the ball out quickly against them and neutralize their pass rush.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Kate Mara, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers

12 Responses to “New York Giants Friday Morning Storylines: Jerry Reese Attends LSU Pro Day”

Yes, the new back of the defense will greatly help the pass rush IF we see Fewell stop instructing his corners to lay off the receivers, making quick passes very easy completions for the opposing quarterback.

We have the players now who can tighten up coverage. Do it and sack totals will soar. Fail to do so and Reggie White and Michael Strahan wouldn’t look great.

And oh, thank you Tom for again leaving Eli in a game when the snaps were meaningless so he can now fall behind on preparation for the season.

He may be a terrific coach but his blind spots are enormous. Those who worship him are fools. He was dead wrong on this one and most fans know it now and knew it then BEFORE Eli was hurt. I’m sure many of you, just like me, desperately wanted Eli sitting on the bench toward the end of that last game of the season and feared exactly what happened. Those who say “Well, that’s part of football and you can get hurt on any play” are dead wrong. You take your franchise QB out of a meaningless situation in order to protect the future. Coughlin doesn’t believe in that. He’s a stubborn fool in this instance.

I disagree. I’s no Coughlin worshiper but I think he’s completely right for playing Eli. It’s a play that can happen anytime. No one sits their QB because he could get hurt. Look at Atlanta with Matt Ryan in a similar case. I don’t believe you sit Eli just because something could happen. I under you stance isn’t a second guess because I remember the discussion but my view hasn’t changed either.

Now what I could agree on is that we could have played Nassib. I don’t have a problem playing Eli but if he let’s say played the first quarter to keep the streak going and then Nassib came in I would have been fine with that as well.

3.  GIANTT says:

In light of Simms’ comments about the quality of this years QB class . is it time to offer up Nassib for say a second and fourth round pick ?

•  Sintexo says:

Doubtful any team would go for this, considering the nonexistent playing time he received last season.

•  GIANTT says:

They have just as much tape on Nassib as they do any of this years class . Put one beside the other and I bet Nassib comes out looking better

•  BBWC says:

No way! IMO overall Nassib is as good or better than any of the QB’s coming out this year. Especially at short and intermediate passes, I love his quick release,…..I’m waiting to see what McAdoo can do with him.

4.  Dirt says:

fanfor55years says:
    April 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM

—-

Just wanted to repost this because nothing ever said here has ever been more true. I’ll probably repost again at some point.

Repost:

I disagree. I’m no Coughlin worshiper but I think he’s completely right for playing Eli. It’s a play that can happen anytime. No one sits their QB because he could get hurt. Look at Atlanta with Matt Ryan in a similar case. I don’t believe you sit Eli just because something could happen. I under you stance isn’t a second guess because I remember the discussion but my view hasn’t changed either.

I agree with Simms about this year’s draft class except that I do think there are lots of quality talents if not exceptional. I think the move for teams that need QBs is to take advantage of the elite non QB talent at the top of the draft. Then take a QB at the top of the second round who’s probably just as good as the QBs at the top of the first.

Maybe we can get the Saints #1 for Nassib ?

7.  Fran2Eli says:

Somewhere in the archives of this site is an article that quotes an unnamed GM as saying that Nassib is better than any of the QB’s in this draft. Apparently Phil isn’t the only one unimpressed with this years level of talent.