Andre Brown had been on the free agent market for well over a month and some fans had wondered with him being available on the market longer if he would make a return to the team. On Monday, any speculation of that possibility ended.
Done deal pic.twitter.com/ytcRogiCjN— Andre Brown (@drebrown35) April 7, 2014
Brown agreed to a one-year, $645,000 deal with the Houston Texans, which he posted a picture of him signing the deal with the team on his own Twitter account that confirmed him signing.
Brown will take the place of the departed Ben Tate, who signed a free agent deal with the Cleveland Browns and cashed in on his playing opportunity in 2013 with Arian Foster on the sideline. Now, it will be Brown playing alongside of Foster as the change of pace and short-yardage back.
Brown began the season on the temporary injured reserve and didn't play his first game of the year until Week 10 against the Oakland Raiders. In eight games played, Brown had 139 carries for 492 yards and three touchdowns for the Giants. Because of the injuries to the Giants running backs, Brown lead the team in rushing without even cracking 500 yards; something that forced Jerry Reese to make changes to the position's depth before next season.
The year before in 2012, Brown stepped into the role for Brandon Jacobs who had left in free agency and had 385 yards and eight touchdowns in 10 games played before being placed on season-ending injured reserve with a broken leg. Brown hurt the same leg in the final game of the preseason against the New England Patriots and many thought he would be lost again for the season if the leg was re-broken, but it wasn't broken and just needed rest and rehab, which allowed him to return for Week 10.
The Giants have already prepared for Brown's departure with their signing of Rashad Jennings of the the Oakland Raiders, plus the re-signing of Peyton Hillis, who became the team's short-yardage back in 2013. David Wilson is recovering from neck surgery and Michael Cox didn't play enough to be considered a factor in the offense. The Giants have also been linked to interest in recently released Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants RB Andre Brown to Meet with Houston Texans on Monday
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sign Former Giants TE Brandon Myers to 2-Year, $4M Deal
- Oakland Raiders Sign Justin Tuck to Two-Year, $11 Million Deal
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sign Former New York Giants WR Louis Murphy to One-Year Deal
- Stevie Brown Progressing Well from ACL Surgery; Hopes to Sign Deal with New York Giants Soon
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/19xw