New York Giants Re-Sign DT Mike Patterson

March 31st, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The New York Giants announced on Monday that they have re-signed defensive tackle Mike Patterson. The deal is reportedly for one year.

Ed Yourdon / Foter / CC BY-SA

Since the onset of free agency, the return of Patterson seemed inevitable for Big Blue. He played well as part of a rotation in 2013, and having lost Linval Joseph to the Minnesota Vikings, bringing back the veteran defensive tackle seemed like the most sensible option for depth. Of course, Patterson legitimately wanted to return, too.

“I waited a long time to get into this locker room," Patterson said in February. “Hopefully I’m back next season.”

With Patterson back, the Giants now have four defensive tackles on their roster along with Cullen Jenkins, Johnathan Hankins and Markus Kuhn.

Financial details on Patterson's new contract were not immediately made available.

Tags: Cullen Jenkins, Football, Johnathan Hankins, Linval Joseph, Markus Kuhn, Mike Patterson, New York, New York Giants, NFL

17 Responses to “New York Giants Re-Sign DT Mike Patterson”

1.  jfunk says:

Barring injury, were going to be cutting a couple quite serviceable corners this summer.

2.  BBWC says:

Now that we signed Patterson, I don’t think we’ll be taking a DT in the first round. There is still too many question marks surrounding the OL. I would really be surprised if we pick anyone besides Martin in the first round. He’s just to valuable to pass up, he’s the kind of guy you can plug in almost anywhere along OL and he’ll do well. Martin will be….what Diehl once was for us. I can’t see taking Ebron simply because he’s a TE, one that needs work on his blocking at that. Ebron is going to be very good, I don’t doubt that at all, and I would love to have him….. but all things considered, I just don’t see us taking a top pass catching TE over a top versatile offensive lineman.

•  wlubake says:

Maybe, but I don’t see this changing anything. JR wants a depth chart filled with vets going into the draft so he can be flexible in his drafting. If there’s a DT he likes at 12, Patterson won’t keep him from being the pick.

•  BBWC says:

Taylor Lewan may be the pick over Martin if he falls to us.

3.  NC Giant says:

Lewan or Martin in the 1st and I will be thrilled!!!

…However I still think there is an outside chance that we select one of the top 2 corners (whoever is left…I think one of them will be selected in top 11) depending on if we fall in love with them. Many of these corners are on one/two year deals…Prince is in his last year, as is Hosley I think. Bowman is a one year. McBride two years etc…CB is a friendly contract in the first round given the 5th year option? I don’t think it is “likely” but it would not shock me.

I still like the idea of Martin and how he fits “Today’s Roster”

4.  ERICHONIUS says:

With our depth at safety and all these new CB’s, Fewell is finally going to be able transition from the 4-3 defense to his dream, the 0-0-11 defense. Just think of all the zones!!!!!!

Sounds like we need a DE more than we do a DT.

•  BBWC says:

I was thinking the same thing….
      As it stands right now, I suspect the draft will go as follows:
      1st rd – OL
      2nd rd -DE/WR
      3rd rd – DE/WR whichever is not taken in the 2nd.
      4th rd – TE
      5th rd – DT
      5th rd – Center
      6th rd – LB or RB

I got a feeling that JR is going to sign a veteran TE before the draft.

6.  JBeast3 says:

Kind of a busy day for me today and it seems for the Giants. I love the Mike Patterson signing, the Brown signing seems geared to the ST unit.

I agree with some here with the draft positions; its between OL, WR and TE. If Lewan is gone and no trade down available i think Reese goes TE at 12.

7.  Dirt says:

Here’s my draft prediction:

No matter who Reese selects, some armchair keyboard scout will deem the player as the best player on the board at the time proclaim “see, he always selects BPA!”

Someone else will simultaneously point out that the player taken is at a position of need such as OL, WR, TE or DL. That person will also point out that Reese always selects based on need.

•  Krow says:

And if anyone trades up ahead of us … the player they select is the player we were going to take … and they somehow knew that which is why they traded up.

8.  rlhjr says:

The deal is as follows: The Giants never give up a #1, 2 or 3 draft pick.

In order to obtain one of the coveted offensive linemen in this draft, the Giants may have to give up either a number one, two or three draft pick next year or possibly this year. The organization just doesn’t follow that MO.

All of the OT’s of note and most of the guards will be gone when the Giants pick.
    So again, who will be left on the board who can have the most impact on the way the Giants play football either offensively or defensively is the question.
    Answer: Ebron