New York Giants Sign CB Zack Bowman to One-Year Deal

March 31st, 2014 at 1:00 PM

It's taken longer than expected, but the New York Giants and cornerback Zack Bowman (Chicago Bears), who is in East Rutherford today, have finally agreed on a one-year deal.

Although it remains somewhat unclear as to why it's taken the two sides so long to come to this agreement, it has seemed inevitable since late March when it was reported they were "close to a deal" that Bowman would, ultimately, be a Giant in 2014. And now, pending a physical, that's exactly how things will shake out.

Bowman will join a revamped Giants secondary that has also seen the additions of fellow cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond III and the return of Trumaine McBride. The team also has Prince Amukamara — a projected starter — and depth cornerbacks such as Jayron Hosley and Charles James, who took the addition of Bowman as a challenge.

The 29-year-old Bowman started in seven games for the Bears last season when top cornerback Charles Tillman went down with an injury. In all 16 games played, Bowman had 48 total tackles with three interceptions; one of which was returned for a touchdown against the Cleveland Browns.

The former fifth-round pick (2008) also offers the Giants a little versatility as he, too, can contribute on Special Teams — an area of emphasis for the Giants throughout free agency thus far.

Terms on the one-year deal were not immediately released.

Photo credit: 4screens via Flickr cc

Tags: Charles James, Chicago, Chicago Bears, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, Jayron Hosley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Trumaine McBride, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman

9 Responses to “New York Giants Sign CB Zack Bowman to One-Year Deal”

1.  Dirt says:

Dirt says:
    March 31, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    Here’s my $0.02 on Beatty/Jerry:

Graziano is opinionated. I like him, a lot. But I think a bit too much is being read into Jerry being insurance for him. Because, quite frankly, OF COURSE YOU SIGN INSURANCE WHEN YOUR LEFT TACKLE IS COMING OFF OF A SIGNIFICANT LEG INJURY.

Now, with that being said, I think Beatty is not that special, I have said many times here that Reese paid way too much for him (though that’s life in the markets when you need something), and I’d love to see his replacement found sooner rather than later. And maybe that guy comes in the draft.

But make no mistake: Jerry is here because he was cheap, and Beatty’s hurt. Pretty much a standard move for any position on the roster, especially a left tackle.

Tl;dr: nothing to see here.

Agreed about Jerry. Not a fan of Graziano at all. I feel like Jim is more positive than him about the Giants. I understand journalism but no beat writer has been close to as negative as him IMO.

•  Dirt says:

I don’t think he’s negative as much as he’s brutally honest and sarcastic as can be – two of my favorite things.

The last thing we need, after two embarassing displays following a championship, is a local media fighting over themselves to write Coughlin’s HOF induction speech. We need writers displaying how sh|tty things have gotten and keeping the pressure on.

I don’t him as that at all. He’s just being negative, not a fan or person that wants us to win so he puts the pressure on. Ohm was way better.

I don’t know much about Bowman. Anyone have thoughts in that regard? Is he a slot corner? Outside? Why did we sign him versus other choices?

•  Kevros says:

From a Bears beat writer on Bowman:

Bowman is one of those players who had always done very well on special teams, but not quite enough on defense to keep a starting DB spot.

On special teams, he’s a guy that is ALWAYS around the ball on kickoff and punt coverage… if his name isn’t being called specifically for making the tackle, he’s still a part of helping make that tackle happen.

On defense, he was always a solid backup, and had a few chances to lock down a starting position… Lovie Smith gave him a few chances to start and make some things happen, but that defense was so productive that Bowman couldn’t quite rise to the level of play that everyone else was at. When inserted into the starting lineup due to injuries, he was serviceable, but just couldn’t quite get over that hump of being an everyday guy.

His value definitely comes on ST’s, and providing depth as a defensive back, but he can be a liability in the passing game when put on an island. In run support, he’s good, and can thrive when part of a gang mentality.

Yes!! The signing of Patterson is not only as I predicted and insisted made a huge amount of sense, but it absolutely allows Reese to pass up ANY defensive tackle unless he thinks he’s the BPA at the time.

Reese has really put himself in a great position going into the draft. The “needs” are increasingly looking like #1 WR, a tight end, and an offensive lineman.

I agree that the Patterson signing was needed but disagree it changes our needs. We have 2 old DTs, a promising unproven young guy and an another unproven young guy. We still need help at DT. What Patterson does is not make us as desperate for additional DT help.

I would like us to add a DE like Ayers which much like Patterson doesn’t solve everything but it gives us depth and allows us to be more on the true BPA idea when drafting.

I think that what our OL signings and Mannginham provided as well. Given the draft and our needs I think we are fairly free to draft BPA at 12. I’m for draftig an offensive weapon like many at 12 because I don’t like the players for the value of pick. If we are going offensive weapon I prefer Ebron over Evans. It seems no one else is worth a pick in that area.

I think the safest value pick is Lewan if he’s on the board. A LT that athletic that’s physical enough to play RT is rarely a bust.

4.  PittsburghJim says:

Goat,

I agree completely….with the FAs still lingering out there….I look longingly (hetero-ly!) at Ayers & KBritt as come-on-the-cheap one year deal types who could REALLY free up the draft. But I’m getting WAY too greedy!!!

If we ‘freed” up some Eli $$, we actually could do these things. But how many 1 yr deals do you do without becoming barren next year?