The NFL awarded teams compensatory picks on Monday evening, and the Giants were awarded a fifth-round pick. The actual pick will be the 34th pick in the round and the 174th overall in the draft.
The Giants had traded one of their picks back in October, their seventh-round pick in the deal that landed them middle linebacker Jon Beason from the Carolina Panthers, which is why they went from their original seven down to six.
But with this trade, the Giants are back to seven picks again, something that Giants general manager Jerry Reese is excited about.
“I’m excited about this fifth-round comp pick we got. That’s huge,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “We thought we’d get a seventh. It’s a complicated formula. I’m not sure all the math but we’re happy about it. That’s awesome. That is the best thing that happened today in all these long meetings. It was worth the wait. It was worth the wait.”
The compensation picks are awarded based on an undisclosed formula that weighs players lost with players gained. With the Giants, theirs were determined from losing Martellus Bennett, Chase Blackburn, Domenik Hixon and Osi Umenyiora, but gaining Ryan Mundy, Josh Brown and Brandon Myers, thus, the team landing the fifth round pick.
With the Giants likely looking to focus on their offense in the draft, getting another pick in the draft is a good thing. And considering the team was expecting to get a seventh round pick and got one two rounds higher, it's very easy to see why Reese was extremely happy about the announcement.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants May Receive at Least a 5th Round Compensatory Pick: Projections
- Jerry Reese: New York Giants “Not Afraid” to Draft Another QB in 2014 NFL Draft — Even at No. 12
- New York Giants May Target WR Mike Evans in 2014 NFL Draft: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/19im