New York Giants Awarded 5th Round Compensatory Pick in 2014 NFL Draft

March 24th, 2014 at 6:26 PM
By Doug Rush

Before Monday, the New York Giants had six picks in the upcoming 2014 NFL Draft. Now they will have seven.

The NFL awarded teams compensatory picks on Monday evening, and the Giants were awarded a fifth-round pick. The actual pick will be the 34th pick in the round and the 174th overall in the draft.

The Giants had traded one of their picks back in October, their seventh-round pick in the deal that landed them middle linebacker Jon Beason from the Carolina Panthers, which is why they went from their original seven down to six.

But with this trade, the Giants are back to seven picks again, something that Giants general manager Jerry Reese is excited about.

“I’m excited about this fifth-round comp pick we got. That’s huge,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “We thought we’d get a seventh. It’s a complicated formula. I’m not sure all the math but we’re happy about it. That’s awesome. That is the best thing that happened today in all these long meetings. It was worth the wait. It was worth the wait.”

The compensation picks are awarded based on an undisclosed formula that weighs players lost with players gained. With the Giants, theirs were determined from losing Martellus Bennett, Chase Blackburn, Domenik Hixon and Osi Umenyiora, but gaining Ryan Mundy, Josh Brown and Brandon Myers, thus, the team landing the fifth round pick.

With the Giants likely looking to focus on their offense in the draft, getting another pick in the draft is a good thing. And considering the team was expecting to get a seventh round pick and got one two rounds higher, it's very easy to see why Reese was extremely happy about the announcement.

Photo credit: Marianne O'Leary / Foter / CC BY

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL

12 Responses to “New York Giants Awarded 5th Round Compensatory Pick in 2014 NFL Draft”

Let’s enjoy this extra pick … cause we’re getting nothing next year.

2.  Kettles78 says:

Man even the NFL thinks the Giants got hosed with that Meyers signing

On Sanchez I’m against it only because Nassib needs to be given a real chance to show if he can be the backup or not. I didn’t like the Painter signing for that reason and also because he sucks and might be the worse QB on an NFL roster. No matter all the jokes Sanchez is at least a good backup QB and if Nassib is pretty good it’s hard for me to see him beating out Sanchez for the backup job. If we want to bring in a vet that’s fine but I think Sanchez is too good of a vet to bring in if the idea is for Nassib to win the job. Plus I don’t see us cutting Nassib so we would then again be stuck with 3 QBs on the roster. If we were considering cutting Nassib then Sanchez makes a lot more sense and I would be for it.

The extra 5th round pick was something that was predicted so I’m surprised JR was surprised. But in this draft it’s valuable and certainly a bonus. We have enough areas to plug that another 5th round pick is really a help.

4.  rlhjr says:

I suspect it will be worth while to take note of that fifth pick.
    Because Jerry Reese is as hot as a firecracker. No joke.

5.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

We lost nicks tuck and Joseph amount others that will sign elsewhere I’m sure we will get at least a 6th next year.

6.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Ravens are the best at getting comp picks . They have like 35+ in their history opposed to our 23 comp picks . They only sign guys that were cut like Steve smith this year. We should have signed Steve smith he is like another Cruz in terms if energy and emotion .

7.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

So the 12th pick is up and you got Ebron, Donald , Gilbert and Evans on the board, who do you take ?

•  BillyS says:

We’re pretty stacked at CB so I don’t think they’ll go that route. I also don’t think Evans is worth it. We need a WR, but I don’t think it’s a 1st round need. The only way I’d agree is if Watkins somehow falls to us which won’t happen. We’re thin at DT and TE. I like Ebron, but this is actually a pretty deep TE class. I also think Donald would be a fantastic fit. Look at his #’s and watch some highlights…he’d do well. I’m sort of leaning towards Ebron because he’s the consensus top TE this year — in a deep class — and that really is pretty appealing. It would be nice to have a stud TE on this team and would give Eli a HUGEEEE security net that he lacked last year.