With the New York Giants missing out on several options to upgrade their secondary on the very first day of free agency, they are exploring other options on the second day of free agency.
Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network has reported that the Giants had in veteran cornerback Tracy Porter for a visit with the team on late Tuesday night and could look to add him due to their lack of depth at the position.
Porter is most famous for being a Super Bowl hero on the New Orleans Saints back in Super Bowl XLIV when he intercepted Peyton Manning for a 74-yard touchdown return that sealed the Saints first ever championship over the Indianapolis four years ago.
Last season, Porter played with the Oakland Raiders, starting in all 16 games last year and had 66 total tackles with two interceptions and 1.5 sacks; one of his two interceptions game in the Raiders 24-20 loss against the Giants back in November, a 43-yard interception return off of Eli Manning.
With Corey Webster, Aaron Ross and Terrell Thomas all free agents and Webster and Ross both unlikely to return, the Giants are looking at all possible options to bolster the secondary depth and if Thomas doesn't return to the Giants either, then it puts the Giants in an even bigger hole in their secondary and will have a stronger need.
Along with Porter, the Giants were also interested in Baltimore Ravens cornerback Corey Graham. The Giants were in on Tennessee Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner before he signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, likewise with Sam Shield who re-signed with the Green Bay Packers. Vontae Davis who re-signed with the Indianapolis Colts and Aqib Talib who signed with the Denver Broncos.
Other Notes: CBS Sports is reporting that the Giants have released linebacker Marcus Dowtin.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Linebacker Jon Beason Reportedly Pricing Himself Out of New York Giants’ Range
- New York Giants Reportedly in the Mix for Running Back Rashad Jennings
- New York Giants’ Will Hill, Marcus Harris Working Hard During Their “Off Time”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1951