New York Giants May Target WR Mike Evans in 2014 NFL Draft: Report

February 26th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

As the new league year rapidly approaches, the New York Giants are faced with a plethora of issues and decisions. Among them is what to do with their aging and oft-injured offensive line and how they plan to rebuild it. Originally, it was thought that Big Blue would target talented offensive lineman in the draft, but Tony Pauline of Draft Insider is now reporting that General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. may, instead, target Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans.

mjpeacecorps / Foter / CC BY-NC

"I’m told Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans is a real possibility for the New York Giants with the draft’s 12th selection if available. The team is expected to lose veteran wide out Hakeen Nicks to free agency and there’s not much production on the depth chart after Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle. I’m also told if one of the top offensive tackles (Greg Robinson or Taylor Lewan) happen to slip to the 12th pick the Giants would look in that direction. Otherwise expect the team to initially look for guards in free agency," Pauline wrote.

With Hakeem Nicks likely to depart via free agency, and some uncertainty surrounding Rueben Randle and how he'll adjust to an increased role in 2014, adding a top-end wide receiver through the draft isn't really an outlandish thought. And although they have a variety of other and, potentially, more pressing needs, the addition of another wideout is a must for the Giants.

As it stands, the Giants would go into the 2014 season with a top three of Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle and Jerrel Jernigan. And while a very young and talented group, inconsistency has been a constant battle for two of them, while the third — Victor Cruz — does not fit the mold of a tall, dominant, beat-all-defenders type of No. 1. Whereas, at 6'5'', 225 lbs, Evans would fit that bill.

Still, none of that talent at wide receiver will matter if the Giants don't fix their offensive line.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Greg Robinson, Hakeem Nicks, Jerrel Jernigan, Jerry Reese, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Taylor Lewan, Victor Cruz

12 Responses to “New York Giants May Target WR Mike Evans in 2014 NFL Draft: Report”

Repost:

BBG – I think the jury is still out on Ware as a 4-3 DE. No doubt that has still has pass rushing abilities but as a 4-5 DE starter I don’t know if he’s worth high end money. It could very well be more like signing Osi from 2-3 years ago.

But besides all of that Ware just doesn’t make sense because of his age and appearing to decline last year. If we are going to pay a DE, guys like Bennett make much more sense.

axr29 nice write up but the DE that really intrigues me in the 3rd round area is Martin from UNC. His measurables are very good and he’s productive. CBSsportsline compares him to Tuck and I agree. I think he’s a 2nd round pick that for some reason is being underrated. He was somewhat hyped coming into the year and seemed to live up to it but his stock just has no momentum right now. For a 2 way 4-3 DE he’s top 5 in my view.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Goat Ware played as a 4-3 end pretty much his whole life. Jury isn’t out on him at that position. And they also moved him out of the dirt alot. For someone who played in a 3-4 the past few years i think he was pretty successful his first year back at a 4-3 end.

2.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

If snee is back next year for anything more than 2.5 million then I lost faith in JR and TC. I can understand not wanting to extend Eli but rolle needs to be extended at least 2 years to drop his cap number to 4-5 mil. Cut baas and kiwi after June 1 if we get depth in FA and draft.

As for our first round pick I have a feeling one of the QBs will drop and we trade down for a few extra 2nd and 3rd round picks . Don’t be surprised if redskins call us to get in the first round .

Here are the players I would love to draft if available at #12.
    Justin Gilbert (4.35), Ebron , matthews, Robinson (tackle ), Watson, dennard, Evans, Mack, lewan.

I DO NOT WANT CLOWNEY EVEN IF HE FALLS TO US At #12!!!!
    His obsession with being the first pick is all about the money which gives me a feeling he doesn’t have that passion for football and he will probably be a diva drama player. mark my words !

You’re wilding about Clowney. All these guys want to be the first pick. It’s really not that much more under the new CBA. At worse he’s an Osi type of player. Plenty of these guys are divas, look at Deion. Clowney likely won’t make it out of the top 3.

3.  Eric S says:

We should have a G101 game during draft season. Anybody who says player X won’t be there when we pick whether its a guy they like or in response to a guy someone else likes has to post a their mock draft of the first 11 picks.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

i’ve been on with this pick for a long time now.

also, this might be a ploy to try and get a team that is in love with Mike Evans to try and trade up to grab him if he’s still there at 12.

A lot of things happen come draft day.

I think trading down is our best option, but if we can’t and Robinson and Matthews are gone I will be more than happy with the Following: Mack, Dennard, Gilbert, Evans, Lee, Ebron, Lewen.

5.  JT Jumbo says:

Yes please pick Mike Evans. I will seriously mark out in my living room like fans doing a Daniel Bryan yes chant if they pick Mike Evans. If they fix Oline in FA, pick Evans, and find a way to get Jace Amaro and Tre Mason, I will never **** again

Though evans showed to be a better athlete than I thought, I would hate him at 12. He looks like he might struggle with press coverage. But more than that WR is way way too deep of position to use our first round pick when other positions are way higher needs. We can get a WR very close to as good at #42 if we deemed WR such a high priority.

If we keep our pick at #12 to the picks that seem to make the most sense are Lewan and Gilbert. Gilbert is made to play in our zone based system and his upside with his athletic ability is very high. Denard was a better college player but gilbert was an excellent player as well so we are not drafting a project. I like Hosley and think he could easily be our starter this year but you need 3 CBs are adding a guy like Gilbert could solve CB with low salary cap investment for the next 2 years.

Some sleeper picks depending on our free agent moves are Mosley, Ealy, Jernigan and Donald. As those positions could end up having much larger holes than it appears now. Ebron is also possible because his skill set is unique to the TE group though I don’t believe it’s unique enough for the #12 pick.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i think it’s a ploy to lure some teams that really love this kid to trade with us.

If we’re sticking with the pick at #12, and we’re not drafting a lineman, i think Ebron is the way to go over Evans, And i think Evans will be terrific in this league.

•  buljos says:

Wholeheartedly agree. Too many good WRs to grab at 12 with so many other needs. Would be great if a desired QB fell to 12 and JR traded down to get a few more early picks. I think Snee’s too proud to deliver mediocre play on rebuilt hips, so he reluctantly retires… and therefore we need a starting caliber no late round project Guard in the bottom half of the 1st to go along with the top shelf Guard JR will pick up in FA (and I’m not talking Boothe). Xavier Su’a-Filo, David Yankey, or Zack Martin would do nicely. Otherwise Gilbert with 12 to play opposite Prince would be an acceptable acquisition… I like Matt Miller (Pro Football Writers of America) comments on Gilbert: “Would have drafted him over any CB not named Patrick Peterson in last 3 classes.” While I try to talk myself out of Donald for various reasons, his play against arguably top talent over and over again just stays with you.