As the new league year rapidly approaches, the New York Giants are faced with a plethora of issues and decisions. Among them is what to do with their aging and oft-injured offensive line and how they plan to rebuild it. Originally, it was thought that Big Blue would target talented offensive lineman in the draft, but Tony Pauline of Draft Insider is now reporting that General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. may, instead, target Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans.
"I’m told Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans is a real possibility for the New York Giants with the draft’s 12th selection if available. The team is expected to lose veteran wide out Hakeen Nicks to free agency and there’s not much production on the depth chart after Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle. I’m also told if one of the top offensive tackles (Greg Robinson or Taylor Lewan) happen to slip to the 12th pick the Giants would look in that direction. Otherwise expect the team to initially look for guards in free agency," Pauline wrote.
With Hakeem Nicks likely to depart via free agency, and some uncertainty surrounding Rueben Randle and how he'll adjust to an increased role in 2014, adding a top-end wide receiver through the draft isn't really an outlandish thought. And although they have a variety of other and, potentially, more pressing needs, the addition of another wideout is a must for the Giants.
As it stands, the Giants would go into the 2014 season with a top three of Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle and Jerrel Jernigan. And while a very young and talented group, inconsistency has been a constant battle for two of them, while the third — Victor Cruz — does not fit the mold of a tall, dominant, beat-all-defenders type of No. 1. Whereas, at 6'5'', 225 lbs, Evans would fit that bill.
Still, none of that talent at wide receiver will matter if the Giants don't fix their offensive line.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Football, Greg Robinson, Hakeem Nicks, Jerrel Jernigan, Jerry Reese, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Taylor Lewan, Victor Cruz
- New York Giants Plan to Target Guards in Free Agency: Report
- Jerry Reese: New York Giants “Not Afraid” to Draft Another QB in 2014 NFL Draft — Even at No. 12
- Hakeem Nicks Has ‘Close to Zero Chance’ of Returning to New York Giants in 2014 Season: Report
- Mike Patterson Would Like to Return to New York Giants in 2014
- 2014 NFL Draft Rankings and Scouting Reports: Wide Receivers
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18nn