New York Giants Meet with Missouri DE Michael Sam at NFL Combine

February 24th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Over the weekend while meeting with members of the media for the first time since coming out, Missouri defensive end Michael Sam said he wanted to be seen as "Michael Sam the football player, not Michael Sam the gay football player." That wish was granted by New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese, who flat-out refused to discuss Sam's sexual orientation.

mmtzjr69out / Foter / CC BY

"I'm not talking about that. If you want to talk about him as a football player that's fine," Reese said. "What people do in their personal life, I'm not concerned about that."

Reese made sure to point out that Sam winning SEC Defensive Player of the year was a testament to his ability on the field, adding that his sexual preferences do no factor into his athletic ability.

"You gotta be a pretty good football player if you win that, it seems to me," Reese said. "So our evaluation is that he's a good football player."

Unfortunately for Sam, his athletic ability came under fire after running a 4.91 40-yard dash. However, it wasn't enough to stop the Giants from sitting down with him, as they held a private meeting with the Missouri product shortly after Jerry Reese's press conference.

Sam joins a list of 15+ players who have met with the Giants at the NFL Combine. A list of all confirmed meetings can be found on the Giants 101 2014 Prospect Meeting Scorecard.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Michael Sam, New York, New York Giants, NFL

36 Responses to “New York Giants Meet with Missouri DE Michael Sam at NFL Combine”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

this is all the media’s doing. I don’t care for this story in all honesty.

I actually think that Michael Sam will be a good player in this league. And I would certainly be happy with him as a 5th round pick.

Reese talking about being willing to take a quarterback is good business. If a good one drops let the teams that might want him have to worry about whether the Giants will take him. That could create a trade-down partner, which would be great for us.

As for Sam, I’d love him in the 6th round, but I can’t see him before that. We have bigger needs and I’m not sure he’s going to prove better than Tracy or Trattou.

Someone sent me a tape of the tight end workouts at the Combine. I was really unimpressed. Ebron looks good, but anyone trying to say he’s the next Vernon Davis is smoking something. Not even close. Same guy sent me a tape of the WR workouts. Holy cow! Looks to me like we could get a good one five rounds deep in this draft, certainly in the fourth round. No way I’m using the #12 pick on a receiver.

And since I think that there is no shutdown corner in this draft (I actually think Robey could prove the best of them in a a few years, but he has his weaknesses too) I wouldn’t use my #12 pick on any of them either.

Our first pick should be an offensive lineman, a linebacker, or a defensive lineman (if we haven’t retained Joseph). And I’m all-in for one of those elite offensive linemen. I’d prefer to get one by trading down, but I wouldn’t wait until pick #43 to draft one so my first pick, regardless of where it falls, would be one of them.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Sam will be much better than Trattou or Adrian Tracy. The kid can ball.

Don;t let the combine fool you, see; Burfict, Vontaze.

I think though guys are totally different profiles than Sam. He’s first team all american. Even with some position and athletic questions he’s much more a sure thing coming out than those guys were. He’s 260 so he’s not that undersized. I wouldn’t be upset at him in the 4th but definitely in the 5th. With Tuck looking like he’s not going to return we are going to need another young DE in the mid to later rounds.

A DE I like that I think is being a little underrated is Martin from UNC. He was productive and has good size but just looked at as a 3rd-4th round type guy. I like him in the 3rd and love him in the 4th.

I admit that Lewan and Evans showed to be much better athletes than I thought. Both definitely deserve to 10-15 picks. But there’s still no way I take Evans at #12. One thing that was apparent is there as a lot of WRs that can play. Evans while impressive wasn’t that much better than the guys we can get in the 3rd round. WR isn’t the need like OL or even CB IMO so to take a WR they have to be that much better of a prospect than the other WRs we could get later and I don’t see that.

Lewan on the other hand appeared to be that much better than the OT we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus he appeared to be an elite OT prospect that’s worth moving Pugh. I have long been against moving Pugh just because he could play guard but I did say for an elite OT it would be worth it and Lewan at least on the field has proved to be elite.

I’m still not on the Ebron bang wagon because to TE take at #12 he needs to be a freak athlete. Ebron while a good athlete and a very good football player isn’t on the level you take a TE that high. I think there are better talents at more important positions that will be there at #12.

JR’s statement means to me our focus is on Joseph and there’s a decent chance even Beason will not return. I know some are up and arms about Beason being a must have. While I agree it’s important if we are really pointing towards 2015 like some of us think then maybe going younger or drafting a MLB makes sense if Beason is going to be expensive. At minimum I think we should pay attention to the MLB draft prospects. I think a 3rd to 4th round sleeper guy is Smallwood from Uconn.

Like I’ve been saying, take Lewan or Martin at #12 (if we couldn’t trade down and still grab Martin later in Round 1), plan on playing him at RT in 2014, move Pugh to LG to help Beatty keep power rushers from killing Eli, give Beatty a chance for a comeback season at LT, pick up a quality RG or center in free agency, play Baas if he’s healthy at the other of the two positions, hope that Brewer or Mosley grows into a starter (or at least quality depth in 2014), draft another O-lineman later in this draft who needs a year to get ready to compete for a starting spot, and go from there.

In 2015 get rid of Baas and Beatty unless they proved themselves in 2014 and build around Pugh and the top draftee of 2014 plus the free agent acquired, draft another starting O-lineman high, and plan on Mosley or Brewer or the other 2014 draftee starting in 2015.

Good for protecting Eli. Good for the run game. Good for the future of this team as they build toward another shot at a championship before Eli’s gone.

I don’t like Martin at 12. But trading down I like him or the UCLA kid. I think we still need to add another interior OL player doing the draft. It can be later especially as a center prospect.

Beatty contract wise is very likely here next year too. There’s just too much dead money to cut him. It’s more expensive to cut him than to have him on the roster.

I like Lewan a lot more than I did before because he’s a high level LT prospect that also fits at RT. Not all LT prospects fit at RT but Lewan and the top 2 OTs do. I don’t think Beatty fits at RT. And his contract dictates he will be here this year and next year.

6.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Michael Sam is not a fit for the Giants. The guy is a situational pass rusher with zero coverage skills, which is needed to play LB in a 4-3. He said himself that he is pretty much strictly a pass rusher. I believe that he would really excel as a situational rusher as a 3-4 OLB. We tried this with Sintim and it was a disservice to him and the team. Wish him well, but not a fit for our system. I actually think for MANY reasons that the Seahawks are a PERFECT fit for Michael Sam; he would be able to replace one of the situational pass rushers that they’re going to lose to FA/cuts and ease him in, the whole media situation would be less in the Seattle market which is pretty liberal and accepting of same-sex marriage, they have strong leadership and this is a classic Pete Carroll pick – a productive guy who may slip to the 4-5 round range who will come in and play with a chip on his shoulder. I wish him well, but I think we’ve got too many holes to fill to waste another pick on a Sintim 2.0 type pick, where our coaching staff would probably try to utilize his skillset in the wrong way.

For me, I would be happy with any of the following at 12: Darqueze Dennard, Kahlil Mack, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins or Zach Martin. I think any of these guys could come in and play from day 1 and make an impact. I really like every one of these guys and would be extremely happy with any of them. And FF55 said it; Reese stating that they’re not afraid to take a QB at 12 is a chess move and will make teams really think if a guy like Johnny Football, Bortles or Carr are somehow sitting there at 12. I personally wouldn’t mind sliding back a few spots and grabbing Martin, while at the same time picking up a few extra picks.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

To expand on this, really…Mack would be my ideal pick at 12. If we could land Mack and then a CB like Robey/Jean-Baptise in the 2nd round and are able to retain Beason…our defense would be SCARY! We could then focus on OL in rounds 3-4 by targeting OG’s like Dakota Dozier, Chris Watt or Brandon Thomas and still likely grab a top tier C in round 4.

Gotta say, based on the tape of the Combine I’m not as in love with Watkins as most are, and I like Lee a lot. I also thought Evans looked like he’d been heavily coached to run like a sprinter, which means nothing once you’re out on the field. He doesn’t play as fast as he ran. But my major conclusion was that the depth of the WR class is incredible and the best of them could well prove to be the 15-17th guys picked when their careers are over. If I’m Reese I’d start looking for a receiver in Round 3 but assume I could still get a good one in Round 4.

I expect I’ll like whomever we pick with our first pick, but if what we get is a trade-down, an extra pick in the 2nd, and Martin with our first pick I will be ecstatic. I think if we trade down a much more likely scenario is getting either Yankey or the UCLA guard, which would be fine. I’d also very much like Mack or one of the top corners, but I think the offensive lineman would give the Giants more value.

The Bills are looking to change their conditioning coach/program. Too ‘old school’ and too many injuries.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Where did you see this? Man, I really wish Mara and company would take notice of this! I really like the conditioning that Chip Kelly has put into place in Philthy; it really is a science and that team, for the most part, was very healthy all of last season.

8.  TroyThorne says:

- I’ve been on the Mack hype train for a while but he honestly might not make it to us at this point.

- The WR class is loaded with talent but you’re going to see a lot of them fly off the board in the 2nd round. There will still be some good players around later but I think you’re going to see a big time run in the bottom of the 1st/2nd.

- Mike Evans still scares me just a bit. He really didn’t get a ton of separation in college and although he ran a real nice 40, that doesn’t do enough to assuage my fears. I think I like Kelvin Benjamin more.

- If Aaron Donald was 2 inches taller he’d be a top 5 pick a la Suh/McCoy/Dorsey. The guy does every single thing you want from a DT and came a few tackles short from breaking the all time NCAA record of TFLs. Rushes the passer better than any DT in the draft (and almost every DL period), can play the run, is strong as an ox, and consistently beats double teams. His only knock is he’s 6 foot. One of my favorite players in the draft.

- Lewan is a better athlete than expected and he’s a good player on the field but I simply cannot get over the whole Brendan Gibbons rape fiasco. I understand we want nasty guys on the field and everything but there’s a line imo.

•  kujo says:

Agreed about Lewan.

I mean, he’s a beast, and I think he’s going to be really good.

But the rape thing just sticks in my craw.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I agree in regards to Mack. At this point, he is who I want the most at #12, but I think he probably goes at #7 to Tampa Bay or to Buffalo. If he’s there at 12, it really should be a no-brainer. If we can retain Beason and add a guy like this to play next to him…and add another starter at CB…our defense will be truly scary.

The WR class IS loaded! One kid that I LOVE is Jordan Matthews out of Vanderbilt. The kid is a flat stud, a student of the game (requested film on every DB at the Senior Bowl to prep for it – was the only player to do this) and has great lineage (his cousin is Jerry Rice.) He is probably a late first-early second round guy…but I like his skill set a lot. I think you nailed it – outside of guys like Watkins, Evans and maybe Lee…I think the true “value” and run on WR’s will be the end of the 1st round through the 3rd round.

One guy who I have banged the table for this offseason is Colt Lyerla, the troubled TE out of Oregon. I think this kid warrants utilizing our final draft pick to select. The kid absolutely blew up the Combine this weekend…and I really do think that he has learned from his mistake in Oregon. We need help at TE…and this kid is a playmaker. To me, worth the gamble.

9.  kujo says:

Reese “isn’t scared” to take a QB at #12?

Well, he should be. Because incompetent mother f***ers get fired. And he’d be an incompetent mother f***er if he drafted a QB at #12–which he won’t, and no one will believe that he would because we have Eli and Nassib. Bulls*** it’s “good for business.”

•  kujo says:

God….the more I think of this, the more I just f***ing laugh. He’s gotta be sh**ing everyone, right? I mean, he can’t POSSIBLY be so arrogant as to think that that sort of “smoke screen” would actually WORK, right?

Reminds me of that episode of South Park, where the parents of the town all start driving Hybrids and farting into cups that they’d smell afterwards.

10.  kujo says:

Mack is….what exactly? My knowledge about him is that he’s a particularly good pass-rusher, but beyond that, I’ve got nothing. Does he project to a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE in the NFL? How big is he? I know Mayock was slobbin’ his knob this weekend, but what’s the hype all about?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

he’s good at everything dude. He’s Von Miller’ish. Pass Rush, coverage… Can play in the dirt.

6’3″, 251.

some people have him mocked as high as #1. he’s the surest thing in this draft. IMO.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Yeah, he really is a VERY complete player. He has the skill set to be a pass rushing LB in a 3-4 and an OLB in a 4-3.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Some of the people at the Combine were describing him as a “more athletic Navarro Bowman.”