Over the weekend while meeting with members of the media for the first time since coming out, Missouri defensive end Michael Sam said he wanted to be seen as "Michael Sam the football player, not Michael Sam the gay football player." That wish was granted by New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese, who flat-out refused to discuss Sam's sexual orientation.
"I'm not talking about that. If you want to talk about him as a football player that's fine," Reese said. "What people do in their personal life, I'm not concerned about that."
Reese made sure to point out that Sam winning SEC Defensive Player of the year was a testament to his ability on the field, adding that his sexual preferences do no factor into his athletic ability.
Unfortunately for Sam, his athletic ability came under fire after running a 4.91 40-yard dash. However, it wasn't enough to stop the Giants from sitting down with him, as they held a private meeting with the Missouri product shortly after Jerry Reese's press conference.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Football, Jerry Reese, Michael Sam, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Days After Challenging Michael Strahan to Meet Him, Warren Sapp Pleads for His Forgiveness
- Giants’ Jerry Reese Couldn’t Care Less About Michael Sam’s Sexual Orientation: ‘Let’s Talk Football’
- John Mara Says Announcement by Michael Sam Will “Not Affect” His Position on Giants’ Draft Board
- New York Giants Saturday Morning Storylines: Big Blue Has Specific Plan for NFL Combine
- Giants Co-Owner Steve Tisch Praises Michael Sam Following Announcement That He’s Gay
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18ky