The New York Giants already have a franchise quarterback in Eli Manning, and only a year ago, they also traded up to take Ryan Nassib in the fourth-round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Despite that, General Manager Jerry Reese admitted over the weekend that Big Blue would "not be afraid" to draft another quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft — even with the 12th overall selection.
"If there is a quarterback up there when we're picking at the right time, we won't be afraid to pick him," Reese said. "I don't think it's going to present itself in the first round. But we're not afraid."
There are any number of potential first-round quarterbacks in the upcoming draft, but it's no guarantee that any of them will make it to the Giants. And, even in the event they do, the Giants would be faced with a tough decision: take the QB or trade back.
Both options are something Reese said the Giants would legitimately consider, but whichever direction they decide to take in the first-round wouldn't rule out a quarterback in later rounds.
“I think that is a reach for us to have a quarterback at 12 that we like well enough to pick at 12," Reese said. "But in the later rounds, if there is a quarterback there that we really like and people are passing over him, we won’t be afraid to pick him.”
On major consideration the Giants would have to face if presented with an opportunity for a big-named quarterback is the value of Nassib in comparison. Despite what many view as one of the deepest drafts in recent memory, at least one NFL executive believes the Giants already have a better talent in Nassib than what will be available come May.
At the end of the day, their lack of fear aside, it seems unlikely the Giants would draft yet another quarterback — in the first round or otherwise. And with Curtis Painter the sole remaining veteran back-up, the Giants will, instead, likely look to free agency to find some veteran training camp competition. Perhaps even, dare we say it again, Tim Tebow?
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Eli Manning, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib, Tim Tebow
- New York Giants GM Jerry Reese: We Can’t Count on David Wilson Yet for 2014
- Quarterback J.R. Reese, Son of New York Giants GM Jerry Reese, to Walk on at Rutgers
- Giants’ Jerry Reese Couldn’t Care Less About Michael Sam’s Sexual Orientation: ‘Let’s Talk Football’
- Jerry Reese Sends Message to New York Giants Players, Fans with Trade for Jon Beason
- New York Giants GM Jerry Reese Says “The Jury is Still Out” on WR Rueben Randle
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18ku