Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Admits New York Giants Once Made Him Cry

February 24th, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Few things in life are sweeter for a fan of the New York Giants than looking at the dejected face of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones following a loss. It's a face that's become increasingly common in recent years and something that never seems to get old. But, as Jones admitted this past weekend, that face was once taken to the next level — to the level of tears following a 21-17 divisional playoff loss to the Giants in 2007.

{algo+rhythm} | Labs / Foter / CC BY-ND

“That’s where I went to the place I used to go to when they would call and tell me that I had just lost all of my money on a dry hole," Jones said.

In the exclusive interview with The Dallas Morning News, Jones acknowledged that it was one of three times he's cried following a loss. The other two each came prior to that divisional loss in 2007: a 19-10 loss to the NFL expansion Houston Texans in 2002 and an NFC Championship Game loss to the San Francisco 49ers in 1995.

“I couldn’t hold it in there in San Francisco that day," Jones recalls. “I knew we had the better team."

Following the divisional win over the Cowboys in 2007, the Giants would go on to beat the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game before upsetting the then undefeated New England Patriots (18-0) to win Super Bowl XLII.

Fan might remember, Terrell Owens also cried after that loss — "That's my quarterback!"

As if that playoff run wasn't spectacular enough, Giants fans can now add this to their memory banks. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jerry Jones, New York, New York Giants, NFL

36 Responses to “Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Admits New York Giants Once Made Him Cry”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

RIP Harold Ramis.

The world lost one of the greatest comic mind to every roam this earth.

69 is way too young.

I have to admit that if I were a Cowboys fan, much less an Owner, and I had seen my team push the Giants all around the field for 27 minutes of the first half and totally dominate them, and then had to deal with the fact that they had beaten me, while playing with a practically fresh-off-the-street defensive backfield in the fourth quarter, ending with an interception on a desperation pass at game-end, I would have cried too.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

FF55, read your comment about Watkins. If he’s left you unimpressed than you’ve never seen kid actually play.

He’s shined on every stage he’s been on so far, and what’s even more impressive is his play. He’s a terrific football player.

I haven’t seen a Clemson game this season. So I’m just going from the tape of the Combine. He looked good, but not overwhelmingly so. We won’t get him anyway, but my point wasn’t so much that as to say I do think we can get a very good wide receiver beyond the first two rounds (certainly by the end of the second round if we had picked up an extra pick there).

I’m not knocking the kid. I just wasn’t impressed by his drills. Obviously, what really counts is what someone does on the field, against real opponents. I take the Combine for what it is: a somewhat useful exercise but a relatively small part of the puzzle when all is said and done.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

well, that’s what they are. Drills.

i’m way more impressed with these kids when they’re playing.

They should evaluate them in pads. guess that’s what pro day is for?

•  LUZZ says:

Did he shine in the FSU game? I’m not being a wiseguy, I’m honestly asking and can’t remember if he played that night. I was flipping between playoff baseball and the FSU/Clemson game so I really can’t say I watched it closely, plus it was a Saturday night so we were cocktailing hard.

Watkins was awesome at Clemson for his whole career there. My issue with him is that he seems like a guy that is great when he’s the best athlete on the field, which throughout most of his college career was true. But I have my concerns with what he will do when he’s not the best athlete on the field, which we all know is the story in the NFL. He doesn’t seem like the kind of guy that is going to compliment his “all-world talent” with “all-world work ethic”.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

he had 8 rec. for 68 and as TD. Vs. FSU.

but noone shined vs. FSU this year.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I meant to say, noone on clemson really “shined” in that game.

•  LUZZ says:

Those are good numbers for that game, you’re right. He’s a player for sure. Do you have him rated similar to Percy Harvin when he was coming out? That’s how I see him. I wouldn’t call Harvin a bust, just not worthy of #12.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

personally, i think he’s better than Harvin was coming out. Similar game though.

He’s not like Harvin IMO. Harvin was never a pure WR. Watkins is more like a faster Nicks as a prospect. I have always thought Harvin has been overrated.

•  LUZZ says:

Watkins doesn’t have Nicks size, hands, and I don’t know for a fact, but I don’t think he’s as polished a route runner either.

Harvin and Watkins have the same speed and elusiveness to me which is why I group them together. But your right, Harvin was never half the down field threat that Watkins is

•  Kettles78 says:

Just asking but what sends you the message that he doesn’t have an all world work ethic? I haven’t heard anything like that about him yet

•  LUZZ says:

He disappeared for a stretch during the season. The whole team went into full pout mode after they got blown up by FSU. Similar to Oregon.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Only game I saw him was against OSU in the Orange Bowl. He took over that game.

16 Rec, 227 yards, 2 Td’s.

3.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

This is gold! The perfect illustration why I always say that the Cowboys are my second favorite team in the NFL.

JBeast – I share your sentiments about not needing a tackle, I don’t believe we need one. But if an elite OT like Lewan appears to be is there at #12 I don’t believe you can turn that down. Next to QB LT and pass rusher are probably the 2 most valuable players. Lewan in this case would just provide too much value. I would prefer to keep Pugh at RT but for an elite player that can eventually play LT but start from day one as a pretty high level RT moving Pugh would be worth it.

Kujo – I think JR simply meant he wouldn’t shy away from drafting a QB this draft, I don’t think he was trying to apply we were considering a QB at #12. We drafted a 4th round QB, that’s way different than a 1st round QB.

•  Kettles78 says:

I wouldn’t call Lewan an elite tackle prospect. The kid got burned by speed rushers but is a monster in the run game.

I think in the 2nd they should try to grab Yankey if he is around

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i’d agree to this. Yankey is a sure thing at Guard. And he may not be there in the 2nd.

They might trade back and grab him in the 1st. which im cool with.

Relax Jerrah … the Giants usually make us fans cry a lot more than that every game.

6.  jerseyrich says:

In this draft, with as many needs as we have and as deep as the draft is, the BEST thing the Giants can do is somehow trade down to 19-21 and get an extra 2nd round pick (not a 3rd…a 2nd….which is what the value board dictates we should get). Ive personally limited my choices at 12….unless Robinson, Mathews, Clowney, or Mack are there, I hope we trade out. I wouldn’t even take Watkins over trading down 8 spots and getting another 2nd rounder. There WILL be teams 8-10 spots away from us who are going to be desperate to get their hands on guys like evans, jernigan, ebron, barr, and mosley.

This is a draft where you can make huge strides in rebuilding your team on the cheap.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

great post.

i do agree that the thing is to trade back in this draft. BUT, if we can’t reach a deal with a team, there are players at 12 that i really wouldn’t mind at all.

7.  jerseyrich says:

Thanks. Yeah, definitely some great guys at 12….but this draft is looking REALLY deep….if we could get 3 players out of the top 54 or so, that would be great.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

It seems like Lewan has solidified himself as a guy that could step right in and play a good right tackle with a chance at developing as a LT in a few years. Which would work out for us since we can’t move on from Beatty for at least 2 years. The problem is morally can you draft him because of the harassment of the rape victim. However I don’t think this will be a problem for an organization that once employed Christian Peter.

Have to say I was surprised by how fast Mike Evans ran. He looked like an athlete running that 40. Unfortunately he doesn’t look like a great athlete on tape, like Lee and Watkins do. I’ll eat some crow because I didm’t think he would run that fast but I still think Marquise Lee will be the much better NFL WR. I still prefer OL with the #12 pick, but I could live with other positions. Evans is the one guy I’ll be really upset about if we draft him. Hopefully JR won’t get too enamored with the fact he’s 6’5.

9.  Nosh.0 says:

I like the Mack/Von Miller comparisons. I’ve also heard Clay Mathews. Problem is, Perry Fewell wouldn’t know what to do with a pass rusher at OLB. He’d just have him in coverage for 95% of his snaps.

But what pass rusher have we had at OLB that was held back by Fewell? The guys we have had have been nothing like Mack. Mack is the one LB I have said I wouldn’t be against. But there’s no way he’s there at #12 though.

I have been talking about trading our pick for weeks. I think most would agree that’s the way to go since we are in the need of several quality players not just one great player. I just don’t know if that will be available. Teams might be hesitant to trade considering how deep this draft is according to all the experts.

If we are at #12 to me it seems Lewan or a CB are the options that make the most sense. Our need at WR isn’t that strong and the draft is so deep at WR that one just doesn’t make sense at #12. Ebron just doesn’t seem like a prospect worth the #12 pick. He’s quality player but much like the guard prospects it’s just too high. DE makes more sense than many realize I just don’t think Ealy is worth our pick @12. He’s not special athlete nor was his production great.

Two positions that seem unlikely today could be more likely draft in DT and MLB. I could see a player like Donald or Jernigan being BPA if Joseph isn’t re-signed. Also a player to keep an eye on is Mosley if we don’t re-sign Beason. Herzlich has proven he’s not starting material and Mosley could very highly rated by us. The teams in front of us seem to have higher needs than MLB. I know we don’t value MLB highly but Mosley could be rated way higher than any LB available when we have picked in years.

It will be interesting if Denard and/or Gilbert separate themselves from the field or if CB looks a lot like WR after tomorrow.