Few things in life are sweeter for a fan of the New York Giants than looking at the dejected face of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones following a loss. It's a face that's become increasingly common in recent years and something that never seems to get old. But, as Jones admitted this past weekend, that face was once taken to the next level — to the level of tears following a 21-17 divisional playoff loss to the Giants in 2007.
“That’s where I went to the place I used to go to when they would call and tell me that I had just lost all of my money on a dry hole," Jones said.
In the exclusive interview with The Dallas Morning News, Jones acknowledged that it was one of three times he's cried following a loss. The other two each came prior to that divisional loss in 2007: a 19-10 loss to the NFL expansion Houston Texans in 2002 and an NFC Championship Game loss to the San Francisco 49ers in 1995.
“I couldn’t hold it in there in San Francisco that day," Jones recalls. “I knew we had the better team."
Following the divisional win over the Cowboys in 2007, the Giants would go on to beat the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game before upsetting the then undefeated New England Patriots (18-0) to win Super Bowl XLII.
Fan might remember, Terrell Owens also cried after that loss — "That's my quarterback!"
As if that playoff run wasn't spectacular enough, Giants fans can now add this to their memory banks. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jerry Jones, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Unhappy with Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Over “Faking Injury” Accusations
- Legendary Dallas Cowboys Coach, Tom Landry, Died a New York Giants Fan Thanks to Jerry Jones
- New York Giants’ Cullen Jenkins Takes Exception to Jerry Jones’ Comments as Dan Connor Lands on IR
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18l8