February 23rd, 2014 at 10:00 AM

New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese confirmed on Saturday what most had already known: wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, defensive end Justin Tuck and linebacker Jon Beason are all expected to become unrestricted free agents when the NFL free agency period begins on March 11th.

"You never know [about them returning], but those guys deserve to see what the market is," Reese said. "We think it's best for us right now to wait and see what the market is and make our moves from there."

Although Tuck and Nicks reaching free agency seemed like a foregone conclusion, there was at least some minor expectation that the Giants would be able to re-sign Beason prior to the start of free agency. But with the long-time veteran now representing himself, Reese says it's only fair that he gets an opportunity to see what's out there.

“Free agency is free agency, which means you go out and try to get as much money as you can,” Reese added. “I’m always in favor of guys getting as much money as they can.”

Of course, Reese's answer is of the PC variety. Had he expressed interest in re-signing any of the three players or said the team was interested in bringing them back, it would have created a shifting advantage once free agency began — something the Giants often steer clear of. However, he also made it a point to note that the Giants' roster in 2014 will be drastically different and that major changes are coming.

Whether that was in direct reference to any of the three aforementioned free agents or the pool of 20+ is unclear, but given the current makeup of the team, a major overhaul was an essential inevitability.

“It’s going to be a significant difference on our roster,” Reese said. “It’s going to be a lot of young players. And obviously, we’ll go into free agency and see where we can find some guys that can fill some holes for us. And we’ll take our picks in the draft.”

Even with Beason hitting the open market, it's still safe to assume the Giants will do whatever they deem is "fair" in an effort to bring him back. The same will likely apply to Justin Tuck. But Hakeem Nicks? Probably not so much.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, Jon Beason, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL

58 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks, Justin Tuck & Jon Beason All Expected to Become Free Agents”

1 2 3
  1.  rlhjr says:

“It’s going to be a significant difference on our roster,” Reese said. “It’s going to be a lot of young players.”

Why do I have feeling that younger was the direction the team was headed, until the “Over the Hill Gang” mentality took over.

The wonderful thing about this season is going to be seeing how Coughlin deals with youth. He may decide to walk prior to 2015. “DAMNED KIDS”.

It’s only the future Tom, calm down pop’s.

2.  rlhjr says:

Any doubts about taking Mike Evans due to lack of speed (6ft 6in 225lbs) were just erased. 4.47 40yrd dash. Jesus Christ.

•  BillyS says:

And he looked terrific in the drills so far. Great hands and the hips don’t look nearly as stiff as some critics have mentioned. Hands down the #2 WR off the board IMHO.

•  MD Wright says:

There was never any doubt about Evans’ physical makeup and speed. That was present all season. I still prefer Kelvin Benjamin.

3.  BillyS says:

I really do find it mind boggling how little faith Coughlin has in his young players. I understand how rookies will make mistakes, a lot, but it’s something that they have to get out of their system eventually. They’re going to make mistakes so the sooner they deal with them the sooner they’ll be productive.

•  Dirt says:

Ironically, few guys on the team make more mistakes in a game than Coughlin, who sports some generally horrific time management and situational skills.

•  rlhjr says:

George Allen was the same way to the extreme. The man gave up 5 years worth of draft picks to acquire his oldie but goodie teams back in the 70′s. I simply could not put up with kids and the mistakes they invariably made. Granted he had some pretty damn good “mature” players……………….

Have a feeling the Giants may get a shot at Benjamin. Evans will be long gone by the second round. And he could be gone by the 12th pick. If no outstanding offensive or defensive line players are available at 12 and Evans or Ebron are, I think one of the two will be wearing blue. I’ don’t see that being a bad thing.

Still the elephant in the room is the Giant offensive line.

4.  rlhjr says:

………. He simply…………

I love kids, honest…………

5.  JBeast3 says:

JT Jumbo says:
    February 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    I hope they fix the oline via free agency. Nothing is more waste of draft picks than lineman. I strongly believe, teams should use high draft picks on skill position players (WR,TE,RB,CB,QB). Every other position is pretty easy to fix in free agency. How many times are the Giants going to get a chance at Mike Evans? Lineman are such a waste pick that the Dolphins wasted a 1st overall pick on Jake Long and let him walk for free. Im hoping for the Giants to try and find a way to get Mike Evans, Jace Amaro, and Tre Mason. That will give them talent on their offense, something they clearly lacked last year

I dont know about OL being a waste when drafted, we kept Snee and DD and now we have Pugh. Fixing the OL only by FA is too expensive and prob not the best idea. I think we need a mixture of FA and draft of OL to fix that unit. Sign a good G like Asamoah and draft OL in the second and 3rd or 4th.

As for me, i would much rather go with Dennard or Gilbert at 12 ( providing Mathews, Watkins and Robinson are all gone), a OG like Richardson or Gabe in the second and a C in the 4th like Stork.

I like your idea of mason in the 3rd would love to get him in the third. I want NOTHING to do with Evans he looks great in college but i think in theNFL he will be a bust i could be wrong.

6.  kujo says:

If Beason leaves, and Snee stays, and Eli and Rolle aren’t restructured, that’ll just about be a wrap for Reese in my mind. I’d love for Linval to return, and I happen to think Tuck will be back, but if Beason isn’t retained, any vestigial “In Reese We Trust” sentiments will evaporate.

7.  kujo says:

rlhjr,

This WR class looks beastly, ala 2009. I’ve been one of the more vocal proponents of taking either a WR or CB at #12, and given the pass-rushers, QBs and OTs that could very well be taken in the top 10, we will likely have a shot at the 3rd or 4th best WR in the draft.

•  rlhjr says:

Agree. Evans, Watkins and the like are but pipe dreams.

There are some players who will be available later on. Maybe a big body TE can be found day two. But Evans would have be the $7!+.

8.  kujo says:

Watkins just ran a 4.34!!!! Holy SH*T!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

dude can fly. he’s gonna be a stud.

•  kujo says:

Convo between Benton and I just now:

Dan: His speed in a straight line is remarkably non-useful to an NFL game.

Kujo: I know you’re down on the 40, but come on…there’s definitely correlation between that sort of speed and success as a WR

Dan: Darius Heyward Bay disagrees

Kujo: Correlation, not causation.

Dan: I am sure Al Davis would be jizzing himself

Kujo: I can’t believe you’ve gone that insane, Dan. I agree that the 40 is vastly overrated, but it’s not useless.

Dan: No stat is entirely useless. It’s just the least important of all. Think about the scenarios in which a fast 40 is useful in an NFL game. You can count on 2 hands how many times that played a factor over the course of an entire season

Kujo: A fly pattern, which we run with exclusivity

Dan: A safety over top makes that useless

Kujo: Useless? I think you’re being far too critical.

Dan: Maybe. But at least me being over critical helps level out the insane and ridiculous over-hyping that is 40 times lol

Kujo: Oh you’re changing hearts and minds! You’re like the hipster of NFL scouts.

Dan: It’s an important role. Someone has to play it lol

•  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Watkins can play . He reminds me of his hakeem nicks coming out of USC. Would love to take him if he is there at 12.

•  Kettles78 says:

He also did more reps (16)at 225 than Evans (13)and Benjamin(12). They say shorter arms make it easier but this kid is a freak

9.  Dirt says:

Reason number 2981 the Giants should be part of the Security Council of the NFL:

Walk around MetLife Stadium and you see nothing but sponsorships from gigantic, multinational corporations with tens of billions – or more – in market capitalization.

Walk around Lucas Oil Stadium and you see large advertisements from Ray’s Trash Service.

And Jim Irsay gets to walk around like he’s some successful business man.

I vote to the Security Council: Giants, Cowboys, R-Words, Eagles, Bears. They all get 4 votes for every 1 vote for everyone else. And they share 70% of the shared revenue, with the other 27 teams sharing the remaining 30%.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

so there are major “red flags” around Clowney supposedly. Possibly another Da’Quan Bowers?

Still don’t care what you guys said about Evans. The kids a stud and played with a QB who likes to throw the ball up like Eli does. He’d fit in VERY well here.

I’m coming around to Lewen eing the pick but his play on the field was erratic this year. His combine though might have actually moved him up quite a bit. Watching the O-line looks like there’s TONS of good value in rounds 3-5. So at #12, I dont think we should be picking Oline unless Matthews or Robinson magically drop.

I can’t tell what direction we go. But given a new coordinator and how ad our offense was, I think it will be really hard to pass up Ebron or Evans at #12 if they’re both still there. Same goes for Kahlil Mack. He can likely start day one here. And if Beason is a goner, and Mack is sitting there, he’ll be the pick.

•  kujo says:

I just don’t see a LB or a TE being the pick. I think there will be a bevy of WRs and CBs available that we could and SHOULD choose from. I suppose an OT would be acceptable, but I just wonder what the utility is with that–are we going to move Pugh inside? Are we going to switch Beatty to RT? I don’t see either of those scenarios being optimal or logical, to be honest.

1 2 3