February 22nd, 2014 at 10:00 AM

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ In late January, it was revealed that New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul would likely avoid offseason shoulder surgery to repair a lingering issue that plagued him in 2013. At the time, it was said that his rehab was "going well" and expectations were that he'd be ready for the start of 2014.

On Friday, during a press conference at the NFL Combine, head coach Tom Coughlin reiterated that optimism and added that JPP now has "no limitations."

“At this point in time he’s on schedule,” Coughlin said on Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “There was no surgery involved, so hopefully he’s going to return back to feeling the way he has in the past and be excited about himself because he feels good and there’s no limitations.”

But a return to health is not all the Giants are looking for as Coughlin made it abundantly clear that the team doesn't just want JPP back in 2014, bur rather, they hope to see a return of the player from "a couple of years ago."

"We had good conversations before he left, and he wants to be the player that he was a couple years ago when he returns, and I’m interested in that,” Coughlin added.

Following a 2011 season that saw JPP record 16.5 sacks en route to a Super Bowl trophy, his play has been in a steady decline. In 2012, Pierre-Paul recorded only 6.5 sacks over the course of 16 games before being limited due to injury in 2013. He ultimately played in only 11 games, recording a career-low two sacks.

Despite the sudden injuries and statistical decline, JPP maintains that he's ready to return to form in 2014 and strike fear into his opponents.

“I’m on the verge of breaking out again and being the old me. I’m going to see [the] doctors again and see what they say, but right now I’m feeling good. I think I’m healthy, I’m about 90 percent healthy. Before the season, I should be even healthier," he said in late January.

The 25-year-old Pierre-Paul is entering the final year of his rookie contract, so a healthy and productive season could, potentially, earn JPP big bucks a year from now.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

6 Responses to “New York Giants Looking for Jason Pierre-Paul to Return to the Player He was “A Couple of Years Ago””

1.  JBeast3 says:

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    February 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    Everyone should calm down.

TC was extended because that’s just how we handle things. It was only for a year. A coach with the success that TC has had just isn’t going to be allowed to coach under an expiring deal. TC is going to retire or be asked to retire not have his contract run out and just not re-signed.

With Snee the big deal isn’t that he returns, it’s that his contract much like Diehl and Webster is adjusted way down to give us cap space. The truth is a healthy Snee is probably better than the free agent guards out there. But like everyone else I don’t believe there’s a such thing as a healthy Snee anymore. If he’s kept for 1-2 mil that does hurt us much.

I think not restructuring Eli is actually the most disturbing thing I have heard. Eli is going to be here long term no matter what some of you think. There’s no reason to suffer cap wise this year while not extending him. We should extend him.

I can’t speak for everyone but I’m ok with TC getting a one year extension. It just takes him out of that distraction of being a lame duck coach.

The Snee situation, its a big deal if he is back yea the 1-2 mil he might make its the fact that he will take snaps on the starting OL. Im sorry but Snee even if healthy isn’t better that most FA OGs. He sure as hell shouldn’t play over and rookie OG drafted in the first 3 rounds. He needs to retire, if he is back that 7 mil and Tuck/Nicks?Linval all walk can you imagine the divide in the locker room?

As for Eli I’m ok with them not extending him, we have a ton of cap space if Snee retires so lets take the cap hit now from Eli not next year.

2.  rlhjr says:

I believe almost everything………….that I see……………
    I really hope this guy get’s his mojo

REPOST:
    rlhjr says:
    February 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    Actually I’ve prayed for “ELEMENTS” of Left Coast offense. Anything else would not be Giant football. I want the toughness that was symbolized by the departed Pope and hopefully carried on by Flaherty. (Which is why I think he was retained)

What myself and others would like to see is an infusion of something new.
    I want to see players being utilized according to their dominant skill sets.

I’d like to not be able to predict what play will be called on third and 7.
    In fact I’d like to see an offense where the team stays on “schedule” and third and seven is going to be third and three with the full selection plays to pick from.

In short you could say more imagination and like “OTHER” ball clubs.
    A Giants fan would have an allergic reaction rash in reaction to a full west coast offense in blue. We tend to be physical folks.

But a screen pass or two during the SEASON as well as getting playmakers isolated either in space or in a miss match would be really refreshing.
    And I hope McAdoo can accomplish that and Coughlin wont screw it up.
    Because both styles can coexist. A similar change defensively would be welcome.

•  Krow says:

Actually I think we need to put some of what you said in the historical sense. We fans want to see tough, physical “Giants football” … but it’s not how we’ve played the past couple years. Our OL is tissue paper. The run game has vanished. And our bend-then-break defense is virtually the opposite of that style. This is not the Taylor-Simms Giants by any stretch of the imagination.

3.  rlhjr says:

Checking out the O-line at the combine, the kid (Tackle) from Alabama I would not come close to selecting at 12. IMHO this kid is a second day player if that.
    Stiff, slow the kid Botino looks like the sleeper. Gabe Jackson as I thought is a brute who moves people out of the way. But at 12, nope……..

4.  rlhjr says:

The 25-year-old Pierre-Paul is 90 percent healthy in the off season.

Lets hope he can maintain that 90 percent for the most of the season.
    That would really help this team defensively.

I have no question about this youngsters heart or his motor when running on all cylinders. Awesome talent and so young.

Well, I do NOT like the extension for Coughlin. Totally unnecessary. But if Mara wants to give him a going away gift if they agree after the season that he needs to pull a Gilbride, fine with me. Not my money. What will NOT be fine with me is if Coughlin ever gets a multi-year deal unless he wins another championship while coaching under a one-year extension.

I really hope the decision not to restructure Eli is an indication that the powers-that-be see 2014 the same way I do: a building year but certainly no title season, in which case they should be looking to 2015-2016 and saving space against the cap then by spending it now (in Eli’s case).

Snee at $2MM might be tolerable (though I’d want to only pay veteran minimum plus incentives, though, of course, that would mean that Coughlin would play him over any alternatives, so perhaps a flat salary is a better idea). Snee at $3-4MM is an insult. Snee at $7MM is an outrage and an indication that things are VERY wrong somewhere within this franchise.

I hope we someday find out the real story with Hakeem Nicks. I still think that, if healthy, this guy can be one of the great receivers in the league. I’m deeply suspicious that something happened to make him wary about the Giants and how he’d be treated in contract negotiations if he was at all injured. I also simply do not trust the process that was being used within that coaching staff and how players were used. Something just seems screwy about the entire Affaire Nicks.