As free agency rumors continue to pick up speed, it appears as though one of the New York Giants' top priorities in free agency is to acquire a running back. In just the past week alone, rumors and reports have hinted towards the Giants targeting running backs such as Knowshon Moreno and James Starks. You can now add another name to that list: Minnesota Vikings running back Toby Gerhart.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Gerhart is unlikely to re-sign with the Vikings and will be testing free agency. It also lists the Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins and Giants as potential suitors.
Gerhart is yet another back that can either shoulder the load as a solo back, or at least be a valuable grind-it-out type of runner in a rotation or committee approach. Like James Starks, Gerhart runs hard, has the potential to be a starter, is entering his fifth season in the league, and most importantly does not have much wear and tear on his body playing behind Adrian Peterson. Considering Gerhart doesn’t have the body of work that Moreno has over his career, his value likens to that of James Starks and could be a cheap addition to the Giants backfield.
The six-foot, 230-pound Gerhart played in 14 games in 2014 while having arguably his best season with the Viking. He carried the ball 36 times for 283 yards, averaging 7.9 yards per carry while also rushing for two touchdowns.
Although the numbers are not particularly mind blowing, the yards per carry are relatively impressive considering the lack of playmakers on the Vikings offense outside of Peterson, especially when coupled with the team’s less than stellar quarterback play. Again this is all just rumors and speculation. Only thing we can say with some certainty is that the Giants are targeting a running back. Until one is found, we here at Giants 101 will look to bring you all the possible names with rumored ties to the New York Giants.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Adrian Peterson, Football, James Starks, Knowshon Moreno, Minnesota, Minnesota Vikings, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Toby Gerhart
- Could James Starks Be a Good Fit for New York Giants’ Running Back Rotation?
- Running Back Knowshon Moreno “High” on New York Giants’ Radar?
- Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson Intends to Play on Monday Night Vs. New York Giants
- Green Bay Packers RB James Starks Could Be “Contingency Plan” for New York Giants
- New York Giants May Have a Giant Need at Running Back: Potential Free Agent Interests
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18h6