New York Giants Have Sixth-Easiest 2014 Schedule Based on Winning Percentage

February 20th, 2014 at 2:00 PM
By Billy Javed

As we await the frenzy that is free agency, a second glance at the New York Giants' 2014 opponents revealed that the Giants may have an easier road to the playoffs in 2014 than in recent seasons.

Maxim34374 / Foter / CC BY

According to researchers at ESPN, the Giants have the sixth-easiest schedule in 2014. Based on their 2013 records, the Giants’ 2014 opponents had a winning percentage of 0.465. The Baltimore Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Tennessee Titans and Indianapolis Colts round out the top five with the Colts having the supposed easiest path back into the playoffs.

Unfortunately for the mathematicians, these numbers will have little to no say as to what transpires in the 2014 season. Teams like the Kansas City Chiefs are a quintessential example of how to disprove this theory. The Chiefs went from 2-14 in 2012 to 11-5 in 2013 thanks to the addition of Andy Reid. The Giants hope the arrival of Ben McAdoo, along with some free agent acquisitions, and a productive draft class, they can have a similar turnaround. Which is possible as the Giants have a strong foundation on defense, similar to what the Chiefs had prior to the arrival of Reid.

It remains to be seen whether the Giants will have the sixth easiest schedule in the NFL or not. The offseason is currently still in its infancy; free agency and the draft could drastically alter how these teams appear on paper in 2014. For now we will list the home and away opponents and let you decide if you think the Giants’ schedule favors Big Blue in 2014.

Home: Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons, Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

Away: St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City, Kansas City Chiefs, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tennessee, Tennessee Titans

17 Responses to “New York Giants Have Sixth-Easiest 2014 Schedule Based on Winning Percentage”

1.  jerseyrich says:

There is only one game on that schedule (jax) that I firmly believe we will win without question as of today. Of course, we haven’t improved our team yet either.

I actually think the rating of our schedule is misleading. Atlanta, Detroit and Houston are very capable of being playoff teams next year. We just have to worry about improving and our division because the games outside of our division will be challenging.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    February 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    This sounds like a situation where Tuck is not going sign here right away. His value from his agent’s perspective and the team seem sure to be far off. But unlike Osi who felt disrespected, Tuck seems to have a better relationship. So I think if tuck returns it will be as a secondary choice much like Bradshaw did a few years ago.

I think the extra 4 mil in cap room is huge. I think it means both Beason and Joseph return. I think it also means players like Nicks or Tuck have lesser chances to return. The extra cap room gives other teams the room to overpay and give a bigger than expected offer for Nicks or Tuck. I think with the extra room it allows us to make a Beatty like offer so neither even reaches free agency. I do see us making those offers to Nicks or Tuck so they become harder to retain.

Wilson is going to be here but will be a durability question. If we also want to bring back Andre Brown RBs like Moreno and Starks don’t make sense because those RBs also have durability concerns. We need at least one reliable vet RB. I think we also draft a RB. So we have 5 RBs of roster quality fighting for 4 spots.

I think Hillis is only brought back if he’s being converted to a west coast offense FB. He’s a JAG as a RB and really we should aim to do better. I think he seemed decent more do to the lack of performance from the other RBs than being a good RB himself. But as a FB Hillis I like the skills brings to the table. He could be a better version of Kuhn from GB.

BigBlueGiant says:
    February 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    agree on Hillis.

Also, I’m all for signing Tuck at the right price. He had a good season for us, but with his injuries in the past and the 2 seasons prior to last, i think it’s nothing but a waste of money, IMO.

I don’t think signing Tuck would be a waste but where we are as a team I think it’s time to move forward with younger players. We do need some vets sprinkled in so in my view we keep Kiwi unless Tuck becomes cheap enough to sign at value. I consider value for Tuck an Osi level contract.

That doesn’t look like an easy schedule to me. But since I won’t be expecting that much in 2014 unless a lot of great things happen between now and September, I don’t care that much. I just want to see the team building toward 2015-2016. And that can be done no matter the schedule.

5.  kujo says:

So….my wife is pregnant :)

•  GIANTT says:

How did you find out ? I kid but its good to know the meat locker did no permanent damage ! Congratulations you will offically go from the DINK to the much poorer SIK (Thats Double Income No Kids to Single Income Kids )

•  jfunk says:

Congrats man!

Don’t let anyone tell you anything other than this will be the best thing that ever happens in your life. Congrats.

We’ll have some little kuji running around free. Is America a great place or what?

•  Dirt says:

Well done!

G101 just lost another regular.

•  Doug Rush says:

Congratulations! It’s an awesome experience….and yea, prepare to lose sleep in about 9 months or whenever she is due.

You will hear that a lot from people and you think it’s a joke, but trust me, it’s so true. My son is just starting to sleep through the night at 2 months now, but before then, yea, I didn’t get to bed until 5 or 6AM.

6.  Dirt says:

I fvkin hate ESPN. “According to researchers at ESPN”? Are you fvkin serious? An intern could do that, and probably did. I’m so tired of networks deep throating themselves.

7.  Dirt says:

Just read that PFF had Will Hill as the #2 safety in all of football last year.

Is it true he’s facing an 8 game suspension?