Earlier in the week, rumors suggested that the New York Giants had been eyeing Denver Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno as free agency quickly approaches. While Eli Manning could probably swindle Peyton Manning into putting in a good word for the team, Moreno is just one of many options that the Giants may look into during free agency.
Rumors have also suggested that Green Bay Packers running back James Starks could be another veteran option at running back. Assuming such rumors are true, Starks and Moreno do share a similar aggressive running style, one that may very well be what the Giants are looking for in their backfield. The 27-year-old Starks would be a cheaper option relative to Moreno and has the potential to be both a workhorse or a rotational back to share carries with David Wilson and Andre Brown.
Starks, like Moreno also has a connection to New York as he played with new Giants offensive coordinator, Ben McAdoo during their time together with the Green Bay Packers. McAdoo may very well see big potential for the familiar face in his new offense. Starks is coming off his best season in a backup role to offensive rookie of the year Eddie Lacy. While filling for an injured Lacy, Starks was able to keep the running game productive for the Packers with some tough running. Starks finished with 493 yards on 89 carries for an average of 5.5 yards per carry, while also managing three touchdowns. In 322 attempts over 35 games for his career, Starks has lost one fumble.
Again, this is merely speculation, but it wouldn’t be entirely shocking if the Giants chose to go with Starks if they deem Moreno too pricey. Entering his fifth season, Starks still has plenty of tread on his tires and could certainly get a look with Ben McAdoo behind the wheel of the Giants offense.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Andre Brown, Ben McAdoo, David Wilson, Denver, Denver Broncos, Eddie Lacy, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, James Starks, Knowshon Moreno, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Green Bay Packers RB James Starks Could Be “Contingency Plan” for New York Giants
- Running Back Knowshon Moreno “High” on New York Giants’ Radar?
- New York Giants May Have a Giant Need at Running Back: Potential Free Agent Interests
- New York Giants Likely to Target Wide Receiver James Jones?
- David Wilson Still Represents Best Running Back Option for New York Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18fe