February 19th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

The 2014 NFL Draft has been said to be one of the deepest in recent memory. That includes a quarterback class that features names like Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles. Even on the deep end, it features quality QBs like Jimmy Garappolo and Derek Carr. But, as former NFL Scout Russell Lande says, at least one NFL executive feels none are better than New York Giants quarterback Ryan Nassib, whom Big Blue traded up for and selected in the 4th round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

"This week, I had a higher up in NFL tell me none of this year's QB's are as good as Nassib," Lande tweeted.

Nassib has been a hot topic in New York since the moment he was drafted, Many fans were upset with the pick, viewing it as wasted, while others expected him to come in and compete with Eli Manning. Neither of those turned out to be true, and Nassib spent his rookie season as a No. 3 behind both Manning and Curtis Painter.

Heading into 2014 however, Nassib is expected to see an increased role and will head into training camp competing for the No. 2 spot.

"You always want to have a guy that can back up. … A guy you think can carry a team and win a couple of games for you," General Manager Jerry Reese said in January. "He was here for the whole season, went through all the practices and OTAs and leaned what the National Football League is about. He's gonna be fighting for the No. 2 spot next year"

"We always want Eli to stay healthy, but if Eli's not healthy, we hope [Nassib] is a guy we can put in there, a talented football player that's been a winner, that we can put in there and he can win some games for us."

Giants co-owner John Mara has also gone public with his desire to see more of Nassib, saying he'd like to see much more of the second-year player come preseason.

“I want to see [Nassib] play as much as possible,” Mara said. “I want to know what we have.”

Considering even the Giants don't know what they have in Nassib — which is why the GM and owners want to see more of him — it's quite a bold statement for someone to make in suggesting he's better than the entirety of the 2014 quarterback class. But, at the same time, that line of thinking — especially from an NFL executive — speaks volumes about the Giants' decision to snag Nassib in the fourth-round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

(H/T to Big Blue View on this find)

Photo credit: TheSignalCaller / Photobucket / CC BY-NC-SA

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Johnny Manziel, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib, Teddy Bridgewater

38 Responses to “NFL Exec: New York Giants’ Ryan Nassib Better than All Quarterbacks in 2014 NFL Draft”

It doesn’t matter if he’s the reincarnation of Tom Brady. Eli is here for another 5-ish years. By then Nassib will have either rotted on the bench … or left for another team. It has very little to do with his level of talent. There’s no opportunity for him to play … unless disaster strikes. Of course given the state of our OL maybe I’m being hasty.

2.  GIANTT says:

So what do we do for backups then , keep getting Painter and Carr types? Hes on a rookie contract . If he can be the backup til his contract runs out then the Giants have saved some money with someone who could possibly do the job as well as anyone .

•  Krow says:

I believe we packaged up a 4th and a 6th to get him … at a time when our OL was disinterating. It’s nothing to do with Nassib … in fact he was probably a bargain … IF we needed a QB (which we don’t) and if we didn’t have other pressing problems (which we do). I’d have kept Carr … and exercised the picks elsewhere.

There’s too much assumption those picks would fix the OL or another area. We just invested in having cheap labor for our backup QB. We do need a backup QB.

A 4th & 6th round pick is worth a quality backup QB even if he doesn’t take a single snap the next 3 years. He’s getting paid nothing so he’s frees our salary cap can be spend on other areas. If Nassib is not the backup this year then people can complain but if he is then it was the right move. Look at Mallet in NE, Nassib would follow the same exact model. I don’t see Mallet as a waste because he isn’t taking snaps because he looks like a good backup and he was a 3rd round pick. Also recall that Mallet was 3rd string his rookie year behind Hoyer.

•  Krow says:

Well first off … you can’t pick and choose assumptions. If I’m wrong for assuming we’d have spent our 4th and 6th picks wisely … you can’t then assume that Nassib is a quality backup after playing zero snaps in 2013. We’re both exercising opinions.

Secondly, the Patriots made the playoffs. They’re in a better position to draft a backup QB than we are. We had/have holes that need filling.

Thirdly, Nassib didn’t replace Carr … Painter did. By the time you factor in both his and Nassib’s 4th round pick salary I doubt we saved a dime.

Fourthly … Tom Brady is a couple years older than Eli. It makes more sense to start exploring replacements. Eli should almost certainly outlast Nassib’s 4 year contract.

F55 – I agree with your injury sentiment. But I’m just not sure it applies to Nicks because I feel ignorant it why he played as he did this year. Was he just trying to avoid injury? Was he hurt? Or has he been hurt and will never recover to the 2011 version of himself? I am really confused what the answer is.

But 2 players I would add as 2014 examples are Holsey and Robinson. Both were inexperienced year 1 and injured year 2. I think we can see Hosley is at least good enough to be our nickel CB if healthy. Robinson is much more of a mystery but I think he can give us at least a Bennett in Dallas type of presence at TE.

•  Krow says:

I don’t mean to be argumentative, and we all hope both Hosley and Robinson work out … but what leads you to believe that they will? Granted Hosley has had a few moments. But Robinson has done nothing … and there’s been little said about him from the coaches.

Hosley from year 1 to year 2 made similar progression as a player to Prince he was just injured. If he makes another job he’s a starting level #2 CB.

Robinson had positive reviews in training camp before he got injured. In fact I think there was a 50-50 chance he would have started or at least split time if he didn’t get hurt from game #1. He got injured and was never able to contribute. He’s a prospect that we drafted raw so taking to the 3rd year until he really shows something isn’t a shock although I hoped it would be a lot sooner. Thomas from Denver had a similar first 2 years at TE. These seem to be the type of TEs that turn out good. The Cleveland kid Cameron is another case. Or a guy like Cumberland from the Jets that did nothing for 2 years then contributed last year is another comparable.

5.  Eric S says:

I think I get the thought process behind drafting Nassib. Before getting into that though I must ask, what fans thought Nassib would compete with Eli? Clearly they know nothing about this sport and this team in particular.

As for the pick of Nassib I can see where Reese may have been coming from. At the time Eli was coming off an average year in which everything seemed off and there was talk of a dead arm. He’s in his early 30′s. Perhaps this is the start of a decline? If so, it’s unlikely we’ll be top-5 pick bad even with a declining Eli and coach Coughlin. This kid Nassib is somebody they had a 2nd or 3rd round grade on. Why not let him learn behind a clutch 2 time SB champ and MVP?

I understand many if us wanted OL in that round but we’d simply be complaining about that guy like we do other Oline picks in that range like Brewer and Mosely. And does anyone believe for one minute that any Olineman we would have drafted instead of Nassib there would have even seen the field under Coughlin?

•  Krow says:

If that’s true … that Nassib is the successor to Eli, and not merely a backup … then yes, it makes sense. But I have to say that I would be shocked if it were.

•  Eric S says:

I think Nassib was a hedge against a steep decline by Eli. They probably figure at worst he’s a young cheap backup. Or they could maybe flip him for picks if he flashes in preseason. Or he becomes Eli’s successor should Eli’s ability fall off the table.

6.  Highbridge Harry says:

I know I’m in the minority here but I don’t think this kid has had a chance to show us anything.He was in one or two playoff games with the forth string and that was the end of his first season.So before debating what we could of or should of done with the pick how about a little patience.Again maybe it’s just me but I don’t see Eli as our QB for the next five years and we do need a backup.

•  Eric S says:

I’ve said this before. No way we can judge Nassib yet. Not when he played behind an Oline even worse than the guys we kept whole trying to learn the most insanely complex offense in the NFL, whilst ceding valyable reps to 2 vet backups and under coaches who loathe playing rookies over vets.

One thing is for sure .. Nassib has a hell of a lot better chance getting snaps under McAdoo then he ever would have with Gilbride at the helm.

•  Eric S says:

Hopefully. I also hope Reese abstains from wasting cap space on Painter or guys of his ilk. Waste of cap space. Waste of a roster spot and takes away valuable reps that Nassib needs.

Krow -

We were coming off a 9-7 year when we were clearly good enough the playoff but we appeared to be lacking consistency than talent. The Pat’s made the pick much like us because they just saw too much value in Mallet much like we did with Nassib.

You’re right we don’t know if Nassib is a quality backup but we also don’t know if anyone we drafted would have helped. A 6th round pick isn’t even 50-50 to make it in the NFL.

I was a move that wasn’t made for 2013, it was made for 2014-2016. You’re being short sighted. When no one was likely to play drafted in the 4th round last year. We save plenty of money the next 3 years with Nassib as the backup.

Mallet was drafted 2 years prior to Nassib so the difference of age between Eli and Brady when their backup was drafted is almost only a year or two. you don’t get a pick as highly rated as Nassib was by some that’s falls to the 4th round many times. Our system under KG clearly wasn’t easy for rookies to learn so it’s very easy to see why a 4th string rookie with limited snaps wasn’t great right away.

•  Sintexo says:

I also think the pick was related to the teams view of what we had on the OL. They thought what we had was acceptable (it wasn’t), while a lot of fans wanted another OL. In hindsight, while we may not know what Nassib can do, having Barrett Jones ready to compete this year would certainly make me feel more comfortable than having Nassib as our backup QB.

If we don’t have Nassib then we need a backup QB still. And Jones would just be in the group of Mosley & Brewer as unproven players. And Jones is already a durability concern as I beleive he finished last year on IR. If we didn’t have Nassib after having Painter we would be looking to spend 2-3 mil on a quality backup QB. Or maybe even a mid round QB in this draft. We can still draft a center in the 4th round this year that is better than Jones.

•  Sintexo says:

I only made the point because like you said, Nassib wasn’t a pick for 2013 but one for 2014-2016. The same would have been true about the injured Jones. Having a half decent prospect fighting for one of our many (hopefully soon to be vacant) OL positions wouldn’t have been a bad thing.

9.  jerseyrich says:

Nassib is a cheap back-up. If we have to pay another guy to back up Eli though, with Nassib wasting a roster spot as the 3rd stringer, then his value to the team is negligible. Im assuming we carry Eli and Nassib this year and that’s it.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

I’ll tell you this right now… From what I’ve seen of Nassib, and what i’ve seen out of Bridgewater, Broyles and Manziel… Nassib is NOT better than these guys.

I’d like to know what NFL Exec said this. It was probably coming from someone in our front office to get some trade value, or buzz around the kid for a trade to garner more picks.

all 3 guys that i’ve mentioned are better then Nassib. Next.

I believe that’s the same guy that had Nassib rated as his top player from last year. So that comment does come with a grain of salt. But I do like Nassib better than the players we would likely see in the 4th round this year. I also think what we saw from Nassib wasn’t fair to take much from. I’m glad Mara wants to see because I do too.