February 19th, 2014 at 9:00 AM
By Doug Rush

The secondary of the New York Giants may be in for a bit of a make-shift in 2014, as Corey Webster had his contract voided and will not return to the team and Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas and Stevie Brown are all free agents and their whereabouts for next season are unknown.

With that said, one of the holdovers from last season who has not only turned into a fine football player and the best cornerback on the team, but perhaps a fine role model for young people all over to look up to is Prince Amukamara, who once referred to himself as "the Black Tim Tebow" for his lifestyle of no drinking, drugs and taking proper care of himself; something that at times is not a practice of many NFL players around the league.

The former first round pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, who once got the injury prone label for missing time in his first two NFL seasons, has now gone from being someone many fans wondered if he would even get onto the field into a potential shutdown corner for the Giants as he continues to get better each season and in each game that he sees the opponents top receiver.

This past week, Amukamara sat down with Alexis Celluro of NY Giants Rush in an exclusive interview to talk many different things from his lifestyle, covering Calvin Johnson, Eli Manning and his practical joke ability, the influences he's had in the NFL, among other things.

Amukamara on who the toughest receiver in the NFL he has had to cover?

"Calvin Johnson, because of his size! He’s like the Lebron James of football. He’s big and he can run, it’s almost impossible to stop him."

Amukamara on who the biggest practical joker on the team has been?

"Eli hands down! Well, I’m sure most people have seen Eli on SNL and he’s definitely showed his sense of humor there. I can’t really share locker room talk, but one thing he did was I came back to my phone and it was all Chinese."

Amukamara on who has been an influence on him in the NFL since coming in as a rookie in 2011?

"Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas."

Amukamara on what part of his game he needs to work on for 2014?

"Catching the ball! I dropped so many picks!"

Amukamara on his lifestyle of no drinking, no drugs and no fast food and how he keeps up with it in today's league?

"It actually has stayed the same. Just no fast food or soda and since I’m married I love eating my wife’s food. So I rarely eat out now."

Amukamara on other people outside of the NFL that he's tried to emulate?

"Never tried to be anyone. I was a fan of wrestlers like Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock though."

Photo credit: pnther60 via Flickr cc

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Calvin Johnson, Corey Webster, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Terrell Thomas

12 Responses to “New York Giants CB Prince Amukamara Discusses Calvin Johnson, Eli Manning, Influences in NFL”

This article had me … right up until the part about the wrestlers. Then I realize Prince was pranking us. Well played.

As was tangentially discussed in some previous threads, no matter how much we may want to sign a free agent there’s always a point where the cost exceeds his worth. I don’t care who it is. If a team is crazy enough then they can put an unmatchable offer on the table. We see it time and again. Everyone has a line we won’t … and shouldn’t … cross.

3.  GIANTT says:

Krow , exactly right and as much as we fans think we know about any player , the team knows so much more and as much as we can b-tch and moan about any situation , I think its very rare that we as fans get all the skinny (apologies to Doogan )

•  skinnydoogan says:

LOL

This is clearly true, but it is also apparently true that sometimes we see a quality of play, or potential, in a player that for whatever reason (personal agendas, sticking with old formulas, plain old stubbornness, even incompetence) the coaches do not (nor does the front office).

One of the most interesting lessons I’ve learned over a long career is that sometimes the people who are least knowledgeable and experienced in regard to something should be listened to carefully, because out of naivete sometimes come the best questions and the most obvious conclusions, questions and conclusions that do not occur to the “experts” who live with the problems every day and have long since decided how to solve them.

I think the Giants have suffered from the lack of youth (and fresh eyes) on their coaching staff, and that’s why I am so hopeful about McAdoo. I think he may prove to be the most important hire this team has made in a long time. Dan insists he has no chance of becoming the Head Coach of this team and will be moving on long before Tom Coughlin retires. I’m not so sure of that.

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Been here but laying low lately…..

As for Prince, I remember being more than a little amused at the chorus around here when he had trouble staying on the field in his first few years. It was so obvious to me that he was going to be good. All you had to do was watch him.

I think the two sources of conventional wisdom around here that are almost ALWAYS misleading are when a player is injured early in his career and when coaches don’t play a youngster. That player gets quickly labeled a bust. Completely ridiculous. Injuries happen in the NFL. Just because a player is injured one year does not mean he will be more likely to be injured again (unless that injury is chronic or in a vulnerable joint). I’ll use Hakeem Nicks as a great current example and Michael Strahan as a past example. As for a kid not playing, how about how long it took to get Victor Cruz on the field, or Jerrel Jernigan? And don’t bet against Hosley or Mosley, or Moore.

So many fans are dead wrong about a player, forget that they were, and then go ahead and make the same silly mistake in evaluating other players. Prince was ALWAYS going to be good. David Wilson, if he can play again, WILL be good. All you have to do is watch him.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I was guilty of thinking that about Prince but now that Coughlin and his staff have been truly exposed, losing has a way of doing that, I look at it differently now.

6.  Begiant says:

Going back to last thread. I think it would be dumb to cut Antrell Rolle (obviously). But also dumb to extend him. He is coming off a career year at safety and we have young talent in Brown and Hill behind him. He is also on the wrong side of 30. Maybe a one year extension to get his cap number down, but I would rather we just let him play out his contract.