February 16th, 2014 at 2:15 PM

"Re-Living History" is the latest Giants 101 offseason feature and a chance for long-time New York Giants fans to experience a part of their youth all over again. Each Sunday, we'll sit down and re-watch a historical game in full and write a subsequent game recap/review in real time. Knowledge of results and/or future events will not factor into these reviews, and any/all quotes used in said reviews are entirely 100% authentic. Enjoy.

Coming off of an opening week loss to the Dallas Cowboys, many had already begun to wonder if the New York Giants' bubble had burst and if they were truly the Super Bowl caliber team many believed them to be only a few short weeks ago. And entering Week 2, things got no easier for Bill Parcells & Co. as the Dan Fouts-led San Diego Chargers came to town.

"[Fouts] doesn't have any weaknesses as a quarterback," said Parcells. "He's always been great, this year he has a better supporting cast, and it's getting better. If they play like they played Sunday nobody will stop them."

After a letdown against the Cowboys in Week 1, coach Parcells ripped into a few defensive players and made it abundantly clear that the same mistakes could not be made in consecutive weeks. He specifically targeted and unnamed "three of four" who, he said, entered the regular season with suspect physical conditioning.

''I'm talking about three or four people. I was displeased with their conditioning and inability to function under pressure at the end of the game. I've spoken to those people," Parcells said earlier this week.

Whatever was said, the message was received loud and clear. And the Giants defense re-appeared, holding the high-powered Chargers offense to a mere touchdown en route to what Billy Ard had earlier referred to as a must win.

"It was not a very typical game for us," Fouts said. "We never established any rhythm or tempo. The Giants played extremely well. Their defense contained very well, and they had good pressure on the quarterback. We just didn't play anywhere near what we're capable of."

A week after dropping 50 points and 500 yards on the Miami Dolphins, the Big Blue Wrecking Crew held Fouts and the Chargers offense to the aforementioned touchdown and only 262 total yards while coming away with seven turnovers (five interceptions, two fumbles).

Perhaps the most telling number of all was the 41 yards on 13 carries the Giants' much-aligned defensive line gave up. It's a number that Parcells will undoubtedly praise and use as an example over the next week.

Meanwhile, on the offensive side of the ball, quarterback Phil Simms again put up solid number, completing 18 of his 37 passes for 300 yards and touchdown. Although he did add an interception.

The sole negative for the Giants was that kicker Joe Cooper, who last played in 1984 with the Houston Oilers and was signed earlier this week to replace Bob Thomas (IR – knee), missed a chip-shot field goal. Luckily he would put another two through the crossbars and the miss wouldn't come back to haunt the team.

Statistical Notes:

• Joe Morris carried the ball 30 times for 83 yards and 1 TD. He also had 35 receiving yards.
  • Terry Kindard (2), Kenny Hill (2) and Mark Collins (1) were responsible for Fouts' picks.
  • George Martin was credited with a sack.

In Week 3, the New York Giants (1-1) travel to California to take on the Los Angeles Raiders (0-2), while the San Diego Chargers (1-1) play host to the Washington Redskins (2-0).

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Bill Parcells, Dan Fouts, Football, George Martin, Joe Morris, Mark Collins, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms, San Diego, San Diego Chargers

10 Responses to “New York Giants Defense Rebounds in 20-7 Victory Over High-Powered San Diego Chargers”

1.  GIANTT says:

I was laughing at someones post about picking up Tebow , Sam and Incognito
    All I could think of was a guys night out in the Village and see how THAT turned
    out
    ‘These three guys walk in to a bar in the village ……………. I was trying to think up some lines to end it . Any suggestions ?

•  Krow says:

The bartender says, “Hey, where’d ya get those two a$$holes?”

All 3 answer, “Off season pickups.”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    February 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    F55 several interesting posts:

I agree with you about your take on the Dolphins locker room. I thought it was me but I thought there needed to be more to justify to situation as so terrible. I haven’t been in a NFL locker room but i know men and that type of talk is just how men act towards each other in an enclosed setting amongst friends. While some of the stuff is in decent that’s just how some guys talk to each other IMO. However, I do think the owner needed to react how he did because the public perception is different than our view and he rightly understands that as the owner.

I think you have to realize that most fans haven’t been around for 60 years. Actually I don’t think most have been around for nearly 30 years like myself. And most of the success in the SB era has been the last 30 years so that’s how most will view the greatest players.

I understand your view on Nicks. I have been a huge fan of Nicks but his 2013 concerned me. There are just so many questions about him physically, mentally and even if he wants to return. I always thought Nicks was going to get 9 mil plus so I thought he was gone. I think if Nicks more in the 6 mil range that’s different. It’s something I would consider but I still probably keep Joseph over nicks for similar money per year because he’s the safer bet. I think Joseph showed he’s a player a lot like Cruz, he’s very good player but needs other good players around him.

In addition like I said last offseason I don’t like investing so much in WR. Nicks was good enough to soften on the view. The Nicks we saw this year isn’t good enough to change that view. Now I still take Nicks over Cruz but that decision has already been made. We need to send money and resources not only on the OL but on the DL. The lines are more important than skill position players given how much we struggled rushing the passer and in all aspects of the OL. If we are going to re-sign Tuck and Joseph all of a sudden we need two fairly high draft picks on the DL IMO.

Look like most I don’t think highly of tebow as a QB but truth be told he’s better than Painter. I honestly rather have Tebow at backup QB than Painter again. Of course the we all hope Nassib earns the backup job.

As football players I can see Incognito, Sam and Tebow all helping us. Incognito as a player save for the penalties is a lot of what we need. I doubt he’s signed but IMO that’s more because he’s just a bad guy than then Martin incident. Sam like I have said before 4th round or later could make a ton of sense if we don’t re-sign Tuck.

•  jerseyrich says:

Im not sure if Sam isn’t just a smaller, less talented version of D. Moore. I would sign Incognito tomorrow. We need some maniacs on this team, and Incognito, if he could limit his craziness to the field, would be perfect for us. Other than pugh, I don’t think we have one lineman with an ounce of nastiness. This is one of the reasons I hope we get Lewan. Overall, except for a couple of guys, we are an extremely soft team.

I think Sam is more like a poor man’s Osi IMO, they almost have the same measurements, Osi is just probably a better athlete.

I feel like Moore has the ability to be an all around DE because with his frame he can naturally get a lot bigger and stronger. Right now Moore looks to be a pass rusher only type of player but I think he can become an all around DE. There are not many defenders that are 6″5′ but only 250 because lifted on an NFL level it’s hard to stay that small with that frame especially if you want to gain weight.

Incognito is the type of player that’s hard to root for because he just seems to be a world class jerk. But he might be exactly what we need. It wasn’t his fault that Miami was stupid enough to put a player like him in a leadership position. As just a soldier he could work. But I would just JR’s decision on him being able to fit in with our locker room.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Was too young to enjoy the 86 season but had the 85′ and 86 video yearbooks dubbed on an old VHS tape that I watched over and over as a kid. Those and the 90 yearbook. Obviously it’s not the same as witnessing the season live as it plays out, but still enjoyable as a young fan. So I owe a huge debt of gratitude to NFL Films for molding me into a Giants fan. Them, and Emmit Smith for making me cry after that separated shoulder game. Because you really can’t be a full fledged fan until you’ve experienced a heartbreaking loss.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Here it is online if anyone is interested and you have an hour to burn.

So good.

•  jerseyrich says:

I have missed one game over the past 30 years as a Giants fan. On SB Sunday when we were playing the Broncos back in January of 87, I was on a plane with the rest of my HS wrestling team coming back to NJ after having wrestled 3 duel meets in Florida. It wasn’t until we landed in Newark that we found out the Giants had won the game.

5.  jerseyrich says:

As far as this game, I don’t remember either Joe Cooper or Bob Thomas. I remember danelo, sheikh, allegre, and Barr….the rest of those kickers from back then are a blur.