Mere days after it was reported that the Washington Redskins are likely to pursue Linval Joseph once free agency begins on March 11th, the defensive tackle hit Twitter to quiet things down and express his desire to remain with the New York Giants.
"I want to be back with the Giants next year," Joseph tweeted on Friday. "This where it all started; just want to take care of my family and put on that blue every Sunday."
Joseph has long maintained that he'd like to remain with the Giants, but the concern surrounding him is the massive contract he's likely to command once free agency begins. And as he alluded to on Twitter, he needs to make sure he can take care of his family. In other words, he'd like the Giants to pay him the big bucks above all else, but if that doesn't happen, well … business is business.
All of that said, Joseph's desire to stay with the team that drafted him appears genuine. And considering he's one of the best all-around defensive tackles in the game — tremendous gap control, run defense and pass rushing ability — it would behoove the Giants to keep him around. It also has the potential to be a necessity signing as the team would be left with only Cullen Jenkins, Markus Kuhn and Johnathan Hankins in the event Joseph departed.
UPDATE: Justin Tuck tweets (verified) that this Twitter account is, in fact, a fake. And that's the downside to social media.
Photo Credit: Mike Gannon
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Cullen Jenkins, Football, Johnathan Hankins, Linval Joseph, Markus Kuhn, Mike Patterson, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington, Washington Redskins
- Washington Redskins May Target Linval Joseph in Free Agency
- Linval Joseph Would “Love to Stay” with New York Giants, but Can They Afford Him?
- New York Giants Face Tough Decision with Linval Joseph; DT Could Command $35-40MM in Free Agency
- New York Giants Sunday Morning Storylines: Super Bowl Sunday Has Arrived
- Carolina Panthers Beat New York Giants into Emotionless Submission; Drop Big Blue 38-0
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18ap