Although both he and the team had hoped to avoid a neck surgery, New York Giants running back David Wilson underwent a successful fusion of his vertebrae to repair a herniated disc in mid-January. Now, about a month removed from that surgery and Wilson is already working out, lifting weights and right on schedule with his rehab.
Because the swelling in Wilson's neck subsided early, and because he's right on schedule with rehab, it's beginning to look more and more like he'll make a return to football in 2014. In fact, a source tells ESPN's Dan Graziano that's exactly how this situation is going to play out.
"[There's] no reason to believe he won't be playing [in 2014]," a source told ESPN's Dan Graziano.
Despite the positive outlook, team owners, General Manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin have been, at best, only cautiously optimistic as it relates to Wilson. Given the severity of his injury — an injury that has ended other NFL careers — none of them are ready to pencil him in for the 2014 season just yet.
“I don’t think you go into the next season saying David Wilson’s going to be our No. 1 starting running back," Reese said in late December. “The guy is coming off of a neck surgery, if he decides to have it. The earlier reports that I’ve gotten, doctors do think they can fix this and he’ll be able to play."
To Wilson's credit, he's never wavered in his determination to return to the field. He's maintained from the onset he'd do whatever was necessary to put that Giants helmet back on; and although some doctors have advised against returning to the violence of football, it would appear as if he'll give it one more go. And perhaps right on schedule.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.David Wilson, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Will Have Fusion of Vertebrae to Repair Herniated Disc in Neck
- New York Giants GM Jerry Reese: We Can’t Count on David Wilson Yet for 2014
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Doing Well After Surgery; Moons New York City Traffic
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Out Indefinitely with Neck Injury; Will Seek Second Opinion on Monday
- Eli Manning Feared Peyton Manning’s Football Career was Over Following Neck Surgery
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18am