February 14th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

The New York Giants have been exceptionally loyal to cornerback Terrell Thomas, sticking with him through two ACL tears and a microfracture surgery. That loyalty paid off in 2013, as Thomas made his return to the field, playing in all 16 games, and really turned things on towards the end of the season. But, whether or not they'll stick with him in 2014 and beyond remains to be seen. And thus far, the two sides have not talked contract.

"I know my agent will talk to them, and if they come back with something that's extremely favorable, I'd sign it," Thomas told ESPN. "But more than likely, I'm going to hit the market. I feel I owe it to myself, and I think the Giants understand that and would agree."

After two straight offseason rehabs and complete uncertainty, Thomas is taking a relatively relaxed approach to the upcoming free agency period. He'd ideally like to return to the Giants, but after missing out on what was sure to be a tremendous free agent payday prior to his first NFL ACL tear (had one in college), this may be his final opportunity to sign a solid deal.

The good news, Thomas says, is that his knee is feeling much better and should no longer be of much concern.

"Knee feeling better and better each day," Thomas tweeted this week.

With higher priorities set on players like Jon Beason, Justin Tuck and Linval Joseph, as well as the Brown trio, Thomas is certainly going to have other options. Ultimately, any potential return to the Giants will hinge solely on money and whether or not he's willing to give Big Blue a hometown discount.

Photo credit: Marianne O'Leary / Foter.com / CC BY

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

8 Responses to “New York Giants, Terrell Thomas Have not Negotiated New Deal; CB Expects to Become Free Agent”

1.  Dirt says:

Thomas will also want assurances that the locker room is free of sin before contemplating a hometown discount. He’d need to be handsomely compensated if he were to have to deal with any unholy shenanigans.

2.  BillyS says:

He feels he “owes it to himself”? I understand he wants to be paid, but he kind of brushes off the fact that the Giants freaking stuck by this guy for years and he still got a decent amount of money from them. He restructured that … I think it was $6 mil option on his contract into a vet minimum (with signing bonus). I’m sure the Giants could have found a way to just cut him completely and save even more money. Either way the Giants stuck by this guy after multiple leg surgeries and the whole being gone unless the Giants give him an “extremely favorable contract” sounds like a backhanded comment aimed at them.

•  Dirt says:

An ideal candidate to be let go from a team that got sh|tty, entitled and full (the opposite of hungry) almost overnight.

He should not be a high priority for Reese. I love the kid, and he has his strengths, but he could be replaced at what will probably be a much cheaper cost than what TT will want. And let’s not forget, he wasn’t really a great deep-cover guy BEFORE he was hurt. He should have a solid career and help teams for which he plays, but what we really need is a stud draftee at corner and the maturation of Hosley, plus the signing of McBride and possibly bringing back James.

•  BillyS says:

He was a good tackler, but as you said…he got burned deep quite a few times. I personally don’t want him back because he’s getting up there in age and he’s had several major leg injuries. 1 is bad, but to have as many as he’s had…he just isn’t worth giving guaranteed money to. Some desperate team will probably give him something decent, but it shouldn’t be us. We need to spend our cap space wisely because we have so many holes to plug as is. I feel we could get an adequate replacement via the draft. I hope we go tackle or CB with our 1st rounder. Either would help and I’m not too picky (even though I would love a stud offensive line).

4.  BillyS says:

And off topic, but how about that scumbag Darren Sharper? That dude makes me sick.

5.  aj226 says:

Do you guys think that we should entertain the idea of taking a cornerback round one? I mean if we lose Thomas in addition to terminating Webster’s contract this could be one of our biggest needs. There are also a couple of good first round options like Darqueze Dennard and Justin Gilbert.