Only a day after his teammate, Terrell Thomas, said Michael Sam would be a distraction to an NFL franchise and that living an openly gay lifestyle is a sin, wide receiver Victor Cruz said the Missouri defensive lineman would absolutely be accepted by the New York Giants locker-room.
“I think they would be received just fine,” Cruz said at a charity event in Jersey City on Wednesday night. “We’re a team and organization that embraces any type of player.”
Whether or not that'd be the case on other NFL teams, Cruz is unsure, but the wide receiver is hopeful that Sam would be accepted and welcomed by all. He also believes Sam's decision to come out and live and openly gay lifestyle will help other homosexual athletes feel more comfortable with who they are and less afraid of living openly.
“From a player’s standpoint I think he would accepted everywhere, but it’s tough to tell, Cruz added. “I think it will be easier for other athletes [now]. You’re going to start seeing some guys maybe coming out.”
Cruz's stance is in direct contrast to that of Terrell Thomas, and seems to align much more with the stance of Giants team owners, John Mara and Steve Tisch, who have both spoken out in support of Sam.
Cruz's support of the LGBT community is nothing new, as the former Pro Bowler recently worked with a homosexual teen in an effort to help him overcome his own fear of the locker-room.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Football, John Mara, Michael Sam, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Tisch, Terrell Thomas, Victor Cruz
- New York Giants WR Victor Cruz Helps Bullied Gay Teen Overcome Locker-Room Fear: Video
- Ex-Giant Barry Cofield Feels Tom Coughlin Still “Has Grasp” of Big Blue Locker-Room
- Victor Cruz Feels New York Giants Offense Could Survive Without Hakeem Nicks
- Giants’ Victor Cruz Feels Beating Seattle Seahawks Would “Make Season More Disappointing”
- Losing Season Beginning to Fracture New York Giants’ Locker-Room; Infighting Goes Public
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/187d