New York Giants TE Adrien Robinson Projects a ‘Breakout Season” in 2014

February 12th, 2014 at 1:00 PM
By Billy Javed

New York Giants third-year tight end Adrien Robinson was once called the “JPP of tight ends” by general manager Jerry Reese due to his freakish athleticism and speed for a player with his size. At 6’4 and 264 pounds, Robinson sure looks the part, but has not been unable to stay healthy enough to see the field.

In two seasons with the Giants, Robinson has only played in three games while amassing donuts in every other statistical category. That said, it does not mean Robinson is a bust just yet. Many late bloomers have proven that over time, through practice and hard work that even some of these perceived “busts” have turned their careers around.

Robinson, who is coming off a knee sprain suffered against the Detroit Lions in his first and only play of the season, is excited about his prospects for two reasons. The first being that he is currently the only tight end on the roster aside from Larry Donnell who is a developing tight end in his own right. With Brandon Myers and Mike Pope gone, Robinson is looking forward to playing with Ben McAdoo who was part of an offense in Green Bay that often utilized the tight end position. Packers' free agent tight end Jermichael Finley was on pace for a career year before his injury.

Robinson was alongside Damontre Moore at the Biondi School in Yonkers where each gave a speech to the students ranging on topics from personal struggles to how the players would feel if the Giants drafted Michael Sam. In addition, Robinson noted that he studied McAdoo’s offense.

"Definitely, I watched to see what type of offense it would be," Robinson said. He added, "They throw the ball to the tight end a lot. So for me, individually, that's good."

Robinson was then asked if this would be his breakout year. To which he smiled and responded, “I hope so.” Followed by, “definitely.” Which was then followed by a short pause that concluded with, “it has to be this year.” After struggling with foot and knee injuries, this may very well be the year the Robinson makes an impression on the field and lives up to his JPP comparison. If he is unable to, he will likely find himself as the odd man out and the Giants will more than likely move on without Robinson.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Ben McAdoo, Brandon Myers, Damontre Moore, Football, Jermichael Finley, Jerry Reese, Larry Donnell, Michael Sam, Mike Pope, New York, New York Giants, NFL

46 Responses to “New York Giants TE Adrien Robinson Projects a ‘Breakout Season” in 2014”

1.  Nosh.0 says:

I hope so.

2.  rlhjr says:

It’s good for Ebron too.

God only knows how many people are praying to just see Robinson take a snap. I’ve never had that privilege.

I certainly agree with the “it has to be” part of his response. Time for this kid to step up or it’s a career-killer for him and a huge mark against Jerry Reese, who really put his reputation for evaluation of talent on the line when he called this kid what he did.

I’m assuming that he WILL be at least adequate. All he has to be is the equivalent of Kevin Boss to make a huge difference for the offense, and he’s quite possibly going to be better than that. He’ll make mistakes, but so did Bennett, whom everyone now seems to think was the Second Coming.

Just a guess, but the reason I think there’s nearly no chance that the Giants draft Ebron is that I think Reese wants Robinson to get his shot and that the former has a lot of confidence in the latter. I cannot see them using that #12 pick for anything but a WR, a corner, a linebacker or an offensive lineman.

4.  Eric S says:

Repost

Krow says:
    February 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    Stra was clean. Without a good helping of PEDs you’re typically not going to add that much muscle mass.

Eric S says:
    February 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    Never suggested Strahan wasn’t clean. As for Moore 10-15lbs of natural muscle is not unrealistic. Given his young age, he’s still naturally maturing an filling out. He appears to have great genetics at 6’5? and 250 with that kind of athleticism. Generally speaking you could reasonably expect to lack on muscle naturally at a rate if .5% – 1% of body weight per month. For Moore that translates to 7.5 – 15 lbs of muscle in 6 months.

5.  rlhjr says:

You know I almost forgot, Robinson is a Jerry Reese pick. Even if he stinks out loud, it’s going to take four years for Reese to cut him.

Statute of Reeseitations I’m surprised Austin didn’t get another go…………….
    Ebron will not be a Giant.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

Benton-
    Not intolerant of any religion. People have the right to practice whatever religion they desire. But I also have the right to call bull-s-h-i-t when their religion weighs in on human rights issues.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Like the right of religious freedom? Or the right of freedom of speech? Or what specifically?

Because no one here (nor T2) was preventing Sam from doing anything. Whereas the reaction to this has basically been entirely intolerant of T2′s human rights. So I am legitimately confused by the “tolerance through intolerance” thing.

•  JimStoll says:

In the words of the immortal Barry McGuire:

“Hate your next door neighbor, but don’t forget to say grace”

•  Krow says:

To be honest … I don’t recall Jesus weighing in on the geh lifestyle. I’m no expert, but I don’t recall anything on this topic. I’m a bit puzzled how it crept into Christian theology … much less football.

Ut oh … the last guy who promised to ‘shock the world’ met with a very limited success.

•  JimStoll says:

I don’t know about that.
      I think pretty much everyone in the world was shocked sinorice Moss was drafted at all, let alone No. 2, let alone a trade up in that round

The thing that bothers me about Robinson is the same one that concerned me about James Brewer … no buzz. There’s been very little said about him. No … “wow, he’s made so much progress on his blocking” … or “man, did you see that catch he made in practice” … nothing. Not hardy a crumb. And that’s a bad sign.

You mean like the buzz about how great Barden was? Or the absolute silence regarding Jernigan for three years? I don’t think we can judge anything based on that stuff. On the offensive side of the ball, in particular, it’s obvious that the coaches were dysfunctional and their opinions were not worth much.

I was killed for a few years for saying that I thought Jernigan could play if given a chance. I like Mosley yet we’ve heard little about him and not seen very much either. On the defensive side of the ball I think Hosley is going to be a good one yet you hear almost nothing about him so most assume he’s a bust. I’ve found that trusting my eyes makes a lot more sense than taking too seriously what comes out of the mouths of this coaching staff and front office. And the media, for the most part, wouldn’t know a good football player if he was standing right in front of them. A collection of fools is depended upon for “buzz”, and that’s a mistake. Their ignorance is vast in its dimensions.

•  rlhjr says:

In addition to being young, Jernigan was IMO nervous about his game.
        The kid was given legit opportunity at being a K/P returner, and he developed brick hands and lost his rhythm as a open field runner.

The game was too big for him. Going from a player who caused collage players to gasp each time he touched he ball, to a JAG is going to set anyone back.
        That’s the NFL press clippings don’t cut it.

What will make him a good player is the ability to up his game. I did not help him being relegated to the bench. But unlike a lot of young Giants Jernigan was given a chance to contribute much like Wilson was given the chance to return K/O’s.
        He just wasn’t ready. His chance has come around again, I think this time he’ll be prepaired to take advantage of it.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

Hey, let’s see what this kids got. I’ve been a hater for a while, but it’s now his time to shine. And play well enough to land off our roster in a year due do him demanding larger money.

That’s why I’d draft Ebron if no OT’s fall and Mack wasn’t available. I’ve said my piece on this kid, and i think he will be a great one.

•  Krow says:

Robinson … as you allude … typifies one of our core failings … “the project”. While it made sense in the past to spend time coaching up a player in the modern salary cap era it’s utter foolishness. Yes, Robinson will do one of two things … either he’ll bomb out and prove himself a total waste … or he’ll turn into the player we all hoped he’d be just in time for his contract year.

Nowadays you cannot afford to spend more than one year waiting for someone to contribute. One of the keys to success is to leverage the rookie deals. And that doesn’t work with multi-year developmental projects.

No more projects unless the hope is that an undiscovered kid can turn into a decent role player after being picked in late rounds. “Decent role players” can be signed to second and third contracts. Really good players cost you so you’d better squeeze them for contributions quickly. Most will be gone if they turn into what you hoped.

10.  JBeast3 says:

I am ok giving Robinson next year to prove him self as a real player with a decent veteran TE in camp to battle him for the spot. Ideally i would bring in a guy like Quarless and have him and Robinson battle it out in camp and go from there.