New York Giants OC Ben McAdoo Listed as 5th Best Coordinator Hire of 2014

February 12th, 2014 at 9:00 AM
By Doug Rush

After the conclusion of the 2013 season, we saw "Black Monday" claim the jobs of a lot of head coaches in the league. But head coaches weren't the only ones who were issued pink slips from their bosses, as many assistant coaches were told to look for work elsewhere in 2014.

The biggest change the New York Giants made was at offensive coordinator due to the retiring of long-time assistant Kevin Gilbride, which lead to the hiring of Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo.  McAdoo is taking the position and will implement a lot of Mike McCarthy's coaching schemes, such as the featuring of the West Coast offense next season.

In fact, before McAdoo's hiring, it was widely expected that Gilbride was going to be fired just days after the conclusion of the 2013 season, due to last year's offensive problems.  While Tom Coughlin was expected to battle Giants owner John Mara to save his job, Gilbride ended up retiring, giving Coughlin a pass in having potential arguments and disagreements with Mara. With Gilbride now out of the league, it allowed McAdoo the chance to take the next step in his career, which will be to run an offense and call plays for the first time in his career.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated broke down the 10 best assistant coach/coordinator hires for the 2014 season and named McAdoo the fifth best coaching hire of the offseason. Of the Top 10 that was on the list, McAdoo was listed as the best offensive coordinator of the group; Scott Linehan of the Dallas Cowboys was listed at number three, but he is only considered the passing game coordinator and play caller; even though Bill Callahan is still technically the team's offensive coordinator (great job Jason Garrett.) Banks said hiring McAdoo was a risk the team needed to take to revive their offense.

"The Giants aren't known for risk-taking or trend-setting as an organization, but I like the chance they're taking on McAdoo. Under Gilbride, New York's offense last season was predictable and stale, and McAdoo's fresh perspective should inject some much-needed life into the attack. After 10 years of the Tom Coughlin era, the offense is in desperate need of a makeover. [McAdoo's] main priority is obvious: restoring Eli Manning's faltering game to its Super Bowl-winning level. Manning threw a league- and career-high 27 interceptions last season, and forced way too many throws that ended up costing the offensively-challenged Giants.  Likened to a young Andy Reid, McAdoo will have Manning getting the ball out quickly and accurately in an attempt to hit receivers in stride and allow them to gain significant chunks of yardage after the catch. It should be a new and exciting way of doing business for a Giants offense that finally ran out of gas in 2013."

Some have felt that McAdoo's arrival in New York could lead to him being a potential successor for the 67-year-old Tom Coughlin as the Giants head coach, although if things go really well for the Giants and McAdoo is successful in turning the Giants offense around, as well as Eli Manning, there is a very good chance that McAdoo could be in the next wave of must-have assistant coaches that teams will want to hire for a head coach in 2015. Before taking the Giants offensive coordinator job, McAdoo interviewed for the Cleveland Browns head coaching vacancy as well as for the Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator job, but opted to head to New York, a move many felt was the best for his coaching career.

Not only is McAdoo implementing many of the coaching styles that he got from McCarthy in Green Bay, there's a very good possibility that he could be a driving influence in some of the Green Bay free agents coming to New York; tight end Jermichael Finley has been highly discussed, as have wide receiver James Jones, running back James Starks and center Evan Dietrich-Smith; all of which will become free agents on March 11.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Football, Green Bay Packers, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL

19 Responses to “New York Giants OC Ben McAdoo Listed as 5th Best Coordinator Hire of 2014”

1.  Dirt says:

“Me being a follower of Christ and a strong Christian obviously that’s a sin and I definitely don’t believe in it.”

I’m not a strong Christian as Thomas alledges to be, but isn’t having a child out of wedlock or divorce also a big no-no? You’d lose half the locker room if you got rid of those “unnecessary distractions” as well.

Thomas included.

Oops.

I burnt out on lists once I heard that Borat’s sister was the 4th best prostitute in Kazakhstan.

3.  Dirt says:

Dan,

Not trying to be a d|ck, but I hadn’t heard about the disproving of the theory that man evolved from certain primates. I’m genuinely interested in learning what you were referencing – can you point me in a direction so I can search/read more?

4.  JimStoll says:

any of you guys questioning TT for exercising his religious freedom to be intolerant will have to be publicly stoned, which, can be accomplished by moving to colorado and visiting any number of roadside establishments

Boyoboyoboy. We don’t have enough ignorance about sports and the Giants floating around? Now we have to add willful ignorance in support of crackpot theories? OF COURSE evolution is a “theory” and all scientific theories are subject to later discovery that they are in error, whether to small or great extent. As it happens, the great preponderance of evidence over a few hundred years generally supports that theory in broad strokes even if not in every detail. On the other hand, “Creationism” has so little testable evidence on its side as to be ridiculous.

I begrudge no one his or her faith. But let’s not add to the sum total of silliness by engaging in this fruitless debate. Frankly, I don’t care what TT said about Sam. I’m sure the same thing was said about black players in the locker rooms before the Browns hired Marion Motley: they’d disrupt team “chemistry”. Same thing was said about Jack Robinson. Heck, the same thing WAS said about Tim Tebow. If a player can play his teammates will rally around him. If not, they won’t. Plain and simple.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

Bottom line if you are worried about a gay guy in the locker room or shower, you are probably gay yourself. I am perfectly secure in desiring women, so therefore, I have no issue with a gay guy being in a locker room or shower with me. I go to the gym everyday, that includes the locker room and shower, last thing I have on my mind is looking at other dudes. I am pretty sure it is the same when you are going out to battle (football in this case) I highly doubt this young fellow has his sexual desires on his mind when he is preparing to either go out to battle, or coming back from one.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

In that case, ****, let’s get all the women to shower with the men at the gym. If they’re worried about it, they must just wanna bang every dude there.

Come on. That’s ridiculous logic, brother.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Huh? all I am saying is that it is ridiculous to postulate that putting a “gay” guy in the locker room with straight guys puts all the straight guys at some sort of risk.

•  skinnydoogan says:

The locker room is part of the job, I have trouble believing that with everything else going on, they are thinking about “banging”

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I can see already I am gonna spend my entire day checking and clearing moderation. lol Ugh.

•  skinnydoogan says:

No I am done.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I didn’t mean that in a negative way. People on here have been mature about the discussion. I merely meant that moderation pings every comment with the word “gay.” So it’s gonna be annoying to keep clearing comments that aren’t negative.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I didn’t take any offense I am just not willing to beat this topic anymore. Clearly I am in the minority so I will avoid a public flogging and just quit while I am ahead.

McAdoo was a critical hire because the Giants needed an outsider to offset the rot that had settled in. Their offense (Coughlin’s, and Gilbride’s) has been a disaster and became predictable long before THEY seemed to notice. Their defense has only been adequate when the players force the coordinator to make it simpler and allow them to run around and hit people instead of always reacting to what the offense is doing.

It’s a breath of fresh air for a team that has suffocated on the verities that are simply not applicable in this new age of the NFL. I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: hiring McAdoo is the equivalent of having a great draft. he can make THAT much difference. If Mara is wise enough to keep him here (assuming he proves himself in 2014) then this could really turn into a two-year build-to-competitiveness-with-the-best. My hope is that come 2016 the Giants are right back in the hunt for a championship. I think there was little chance of that if there hadn’t been a BIG change in the coaching ranks. Frankly, I hope there’s more coming next year unless we see a major shift in approach to personnel and the use of the players, as well as offensive and defensive schemes.

•  JimStoll says:

but why is he only the 5th best coordinator hire?
      that’s what I want to know.
      seems like the giants already screwed up by not hiring one of the other 4
      by the by, how many coordinators have been hired so far this offseason?
      hopefully more than 5

8.  rlhjr says:

kujo says:
    February 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    I think the b-word you’re looking for to describe Thomas’ stance is “bigoted.”

Now here this kujo. If I wanted to use the word bigoted, I’d have used it.
    Please don’t assume you can put words in anyone’s mouth.

What Thomas said does take guts now. Because he can be bashed as intolerant and bigoted simply for believing in scripture. As always (when you go off half cocked) you failed to read and digest the entire post. The dilemma for anyone who claims to be Christian is the Christian prime directive as it were.

You are supposed to love folks. And you are not supposed to kill them (literally or figuratively) because they are different from you. The most profound Christian concept is “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”.

Work with it Kujo.

And by the way, despite your best efforts, I know you are not bigoted, and not half the A-hole you sometimes portray your self to be. In fact your open mind is a large reason why am glad you are one of the people who is charged with educating our youth. Your stance on the Richard Sherman issue is prime evidence of what I’m saying. You think into subjects and I really hope you pass that wit on the each student you teach.

But if you want to talk about bigoted, take a look at Michael Sam’s father comments after finding out his son was gay. Carry on, nothing to see here.