February 12th, 2014 at 11:00 AM
By Billy Javed

The New York Giants pass rush struggled to generate much as a whole in 2013 and the Giants are hoping they can garner a stronger contribution from the former rookie and third-round pick Damontre Moore.

Moore flashed moments of strength and speed, even blocking two punts (one in the preseason). The Texas A&M alumni saw his snaps increase as the season wore on but still didn’t exactly log meaningful minutes as he finished the season with only 9 tackles, a pass defended, and a forced fumble.

He looks to have a stronger impact in his sophomore season and will probably get the snaps required to make a difference. Unfortunately, Moore had minor offseason shoulder surgery. And when asked about the surgery Moore said, “It sucked, I couldn’t get to sleep. It was horrible.” Luckily the injury was not too severe and Moore is already logging hours in the gym to get back in shape. He has not been fully cleared by the doctors but has been using his time to get his conditioning up to par.

"I can do light stuff, I'm not cleared to lift weights yet but as far as the other stuff goes, I'm maintaining my cardiovascular strength and stuff like that. Just trying to enhance that part of the game so once I get cleared I can focus on the weights,” said Moore at the Biondi School on Tuesday where he was giving a speech to young students. Moore added, "I want to get back as healthy as possible and pick up like 15 pounds of muscle.”

If Moore is able to successfully recover, put the on the weight he desires, while also maintaining the speed that gave him top-10 grades by some analysts as he was coming out of college, he could prove to be a dangerous weapon in the Giants defensive arsenal, assuming the rest of the defensive line holds up their end.

Photo credit: rburtzel / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Damontre Moore, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

17 Responses to “New York Giants’ Damontre Moore Looks to Pack on 15 Lbs. of Muscle Following Shoulder Surgery”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

TT is entitled to his beliefs and opinions. This country was constructed by the freedom of speech, press and religion.

However, in today’s society in THIS COUNTRY, it makes you look ignorant and intolerant, ****-phobic, bigoted, stupid, and uneducated.

2.  rlhjr says:

REPOST: Dan, I am going to remove the key word so rest easy. LOL

kujo says:
    February 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    I think the b-word you’re looking for to describe Thomas’ stance is “bigoted.”

Now here this kujo. If I wanted to use the word bigoted, I’d have used it.
    Please don’t assume you can put words in anyone’s mouth.

What Thomas said does take guts now. Because he can be bashed as intolerant and bigoted simply for believing in scripture. As always (when you go off half cocked) you failed to read and digest the entire post. The dilemma for anyone who claims to be Christian is the Christian prime directive as it were.

You are supposed to love folks. And you are not supposed to kill them (literally or figuratively) because they are different from you. The most profound Christian concept is “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”.

Work with it Kujo.

And by the way, despite your best efforts, I know you are not bigoted, and not half the A-hole you sometimes portray your self to be. In fact your open mind is a large reason why am glad you are one of the people who is charged with educating our youth. Your stance on the Richard Sherman issue is prime evidence of what I’m saying. You think into subjects and I really hope you pass that wit on the each student you teach.

But if you want to talk about bigoted, take a look at Michael Sam’s father comments after finding out his son was ***. Carry on, nothing to see here.

3.  Eric S says:

At 6’5″ and already 250lbs Moore should have no trouble packing on an additional 15lbs on his frame without sacrificing his explosiveness. More important than simply weight will be the amount of strength he can gain. Strahan played his final year at 255 and was still strong enough to rag doll 300lb + linemen.

•  rlhjr says:

This ^

Alan Page played his last two years at defensive tackle at 236. But he was so quick and strong that he was actually more of an issue for O-linemen than he was at 265.

Strahan was basically from Krypton.

4.  rlhjr says:

I really like Moore. I just don’t like him putting on weight to meet a prototypical standard. The best way is the natural way. If Moore picks up 10 pounds of solid mass that is a step in the right direction. But 30??? That’s an eye brow raiser.

That much solid muscle mass is not done is 5 months. Unless you play for Seattle.

I just hope the youngster is use properly and according to what he does well.
    Spot him some snaps hand down and standing. Right now IMO his best chance to have impact is to stand him up and let him run by offensive linemen.
    Kid is quick and fast. He had a bad hammy during the combine. A just flat slept on his strength conditioning only able to produce 12 reps.

His pro day was a different story. I think he’s going to be good.

•  Eric S says:

Nobody, not even Moore is suggesting he needs to put on 30lbs. Moore said he is shooting to out on “like 15lbs”. Totally doable and not eyebrow raising. Plus, he’s young. Doesn’t turn 22 until September. He’s still maturing into his frame.

I think Moore is going to be a good one. Very good. And there’s no reason he cannot gain that weight without losing quickness and speed. He’s still a very young kid.

Comparing players to Strahan isn’t fair. The guy was unbelievable, and it’s only because we all saw his entire career (injuries and all) that we don’t realize how great he was. If all you saw of him was his SportsCenter highlights you’d think he was the best defensive end to ever live (and, in fact, he’s damned close).

But we may have a pretty exciting pair in Moore and JPP. I’m putting all my chips in that JPP has a great season as he comes back healthy and determined to prove that he’s the elite player he promised to be and is worth a huge contract. And most of you still don’t give Kiwi enough credit. He is a very good player and makes everyone around him better. We tend to notice the games where he gets shut out, but ignore those where he gets lots of pressures and stops runs cold. He’s a strong part of what could be a terrific trio. And we know Jenkins will sometimes play defensive end, so I think we have a pretty good rotation. If Tuck will sign at a reasonable price then the rotation gets even better, allowing Tuck and Jenkins to each play outside and inside depending upon needs and circumstances.

I’m not saying we don’t need to draft another pass-rusher (we do), but combining the above players with a promising rookie sounds fine to me. There are much bigger problems elsewhere on the roster.

•  Eric S says:

Wasn’t comparing him to Strahan. Was merely pointing out that strength is more important than weight and used Strahan’s dropping weight without sacrificing strength to illustrate the point.

•  Krow says:

Stra was clean. Without a good helping of PEDs you’re typically not going to add that much muscle mass.

•  Eric S says:

Never suggested Strahan wasn’t clean. As for Moore 10-15lbs of natural muscle is not unrealistic. Given his young age, he’s still naturally maturing an filling out. He appears to have great genetics at 6’5″ and 250 with that kind of athleticism. Generally speaking you could reasonably expect to lack on muscle naturally at a rate if .5% – 1% of body weight per month. For Moore that translates to 7.5 – 15 lbs of muscle in 6 months.

6.  JBeast3 says:

I agree with most on this post, Moore will be a major player and i think its more important to add strength more than weight. I honestly think he needs more playing time next season. I am completely fine with going into the new season with JPP, Kiwi, Moore Jenkins as the defensive ends ( Jenkins of course will play at DT also) and a journey man DE a dave tollefson-esque kinda guy. Like FF55 say, we have bigger much bigger needs in other areas of the team namely OL, CB, LB, TE and to a lesser extent WR. i know its pre-combine but gimme Dennard, Yankey/Richardson/Jackson, T. Smith and Stork as our first 4 picks and sign 1-2 starting caliber FA OL ( asamoah and Wade Smith), 1 FA RB (Starks), 1 FA WR (Manningham), 1 FA TE (Quarless) and we are well on our way to competing for the NFC East.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

Always entertaining when people hide behind the bible to defend their homophobic beliefs. I believe slave owners used this same tactic also.

What I’m curious about is where the Mormons came up with the part about god saying it was o.k. to f-u-c.k your wifes sister.

8.  GmenMania says: