The New York Giants pass rush struggled to generate much as a whole in 2013 and the Giants are hoping they can garner a stronger contribution from the former rookie and third-round pick Damontre Moore.
Moore flashed moments of strength and speed, even blocking two punts (one in the preseason). The Texas A&M alumni saw his snaps increase as the season wore on but still didn’t exactly log meaningful minutes as he finished the season with only 9 tackles, a pass defended, and a forced fumble.
He looks to have a stronger impact in his sophomore season and will probably get the snaps required to make a difference. Unfortunately, Moore had minor offseason shoulder surgery. And when asked about the surgery Moore said, “It sucked, I couldn’t get to sleep. It was horrible.” Luckily the injury was not too severe and Moore is already logging hours in the gym to get back in shape. He has not been fully cleared by the doctors but has been using his time to get his conditioning up to par.
"I can do light stuff, I'm not cleared to lift weights yet but as far as the other stuff goes, I'm maintaining my cardiovascular strength and stuff like that. Just trying to enhance that part of the game so once I get cleared I can focus on the weights,” said Moore at the Biondi School on Tuesday where he was giving a speech to young students. Moore added, "I want to get back as healthy as possible and pick up like 15 pounds of muscle.”
If Moore is able to successfully recover, put the on the weight he desires, while also maintaining the speed that gave him top-10 grades by some analysts as he was coming out of college, he could prove to be a dangerous weapon in the Giants defensive arsenal, assuming the rest of the defensive line holds up their end.
Photo credit: rburtzel / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Damontre Moore, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants’ Damontre Moore Undergoes Shoulder Surgery; Will Be Ready by OTAs
- David Baas, Damontre Moore Return to Practice for New York Giants
- Giants “Trying” to Get Damontre Moore Involved & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul May not Need Offseason Shoulder Surgery After All
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/186f