During their year-end press conferences, both New York Giants co-owner John Mara and General Manager Jerry Reese discussed futility on Special Teams and noted that a solid return man is something the team was lacking. As such, it should come as no real surprise that Big Blue will likely be targeting return men once free agency officially begins in March.
Several potential options exist for the Giants to explore, including Jacoby Jones (Baltimore Ravens), Devin Hester (Chicago Bears), Ted Ginn (Carolina Panthers) and Dexter McCluster (Kansas City Chiefs), who had a Tecmo Bowl-like 89-yard punt return for a touchdown against the Giants in Week 4 (see above).
However, another potential option would be Josh Cribbs, whom the Giants expressed quite a bit of interest in a year ago, but opted not to sign. That decision obviously proved costly for Big Blue, and they were left with a revolving door at kick returner following a neck injury to David Wilson, while sticking with Rueben Randle as their punt returner.
The Giants could also go back to their past and give Domenik Hixon, who will become an unrestricted free agent after one year with the Carolina Panthers, a look. After all, he had been their most prolific and consistent return man in many years and is the last player to bring a punt back to the house for Big Blue (2009).
In total, seven players returned kicks for the Giants this past season, while four others returned punts.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.David Wilson, Devin Hester, Dexter McCluster, Domenik Hixon, Football, Jacoby Jones, Jerry Reese, John Mara, Josh Cribbs, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle
- New York Giants GM Jerry Reese Says a Few Players May Be Re-Signed Prior to Start of Free Agency
- New York Giants 2014 Free Agency Scorecard
- Giants, Justin Tuck Have Talked New Contract, but DE “Looks Forward” to Testing Free Agency
- New York Giants Face Tough Decision with Linval Joseph; DT Could Command $35-40MM in Free Agency
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/181v