"I came to tell the world I'm an openly proud gay man," Sam said. "I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be … I want to be a football player in the NFL."
Immediately following his announcement, the NFL put out a statement saying they "admire" Sam's "honesty and courage" and that they "look forward to welcoming and supporting [him] in 2014."
In addition to Tisch, and many other athletes the world over, Giants long-snapper Zak DeOssie also chimed in via Twitter.
Zak DeOssie (@zdeossie) February 10, 2014
Sam is projected to be a mid-round pick in May's 2014 NFL Draft.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Football, Michael Sam, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Tisch, Zak DeOssie
- New York Giants’ Jonathan Tisch Gives Support to Tom Coughlin; Still Sees Playoffs in 2013
- New York Giants Owners, Front Office Praise Kevin Gilbride Following Retirement Announcement
- New York Giants’ Jonathan Tisch Would Like to See a New York/New Jersey Super Bowl Every 10 Years
- New York Giants’ Jerald Ingram Praises New Faces; Team Likely to Use RB by Committee
- Aaron Rodgers Praises Newly Signed New York Giants Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1810