February 10th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

University of Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam — an All-American and 2013 SEC Defensive Player of the Year — announced on Sunday in an interview with ESPN that he's gay.

mmtzjr69out / Foter / CC BY

"I came to tell the world I'm an openly proud gay man," Sam said. "I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be … I want to be a football player in the NFL."

Immediately following his announcement, the NFL put out a statement saying they "admire" Sam's "honesty and courage" and that they "look forward to welcoming and supporting [him] in 2014."

One of the first owners to step up and praise Sam was none other than New York Giants co-owner Steve Tisch, who offered a brief statement via TMZ.

"Michael Sam is a gifted athlete and a courageous man," Tisch said in a brief interview with TMZ. "I hope any NFL team would not hesitate to draft Michael if he is right for their team."

In addition to Tisch, and many other athletes the world over, Giants long-snapper Zak DeOssie also chimed in via Twitter.

Sam is projected to be a mid-round pick in May's 2014 NFL Draft.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Football, Michael Sam, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Tisch, Zak DeOssie

18 Responses to “Giants Co-Owner Steve Tisch Praises Michael Sam Following Announcement That He’s Gay”

1.  rlhjr says:

My bad, I thought it was Iowa. Missouri.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    February 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Catching up the past few days I don’t like what I’m hearing. Vet WRs like Boldin or James I don’t think are the right answer. Yes, they can help and won’t be expensive but they are not good enough to possibly stunt the growth of Randle and Jernigan. We are trying to win next year but 2014 is about reconstructing our foundation so that we can be good again going forward.

This is why I think Joseph is key. Our DL must be elite for us to become elite again and Joseph should be a major part of that foundation. We can do a fair job of replacing him in 2014 but for future years letting Joseph go we will have to re-invest a high pick or significant dollars into DT by 2015. While investing in the OL is very important this offseason getting the DL back to an elite unit is also important. I can even buy signing a DE like Bennett instead of Joseph and Tuck but the key is making the DL and the OL upper tier units again.

I think people should be careful before they label Moore. He was drafted 6’5? 250 as a 20 year old true junior. I think he could easily get up to 265 ish with NFL weight training and natural maturity. He got by in college off of natural ability and now has to do the real work to become an NFL DE.

In laying the foundation for the future I’m thinking we probably have to lose Tuck. I don’t think Beason is a lock to return because while he played great for us he’s a very risky investment. Same with Nicks though at least he’s young.

A guy like Finley is very risky but for let’s say a Myers structured type of deal is not the worse thing though I wouldn’t do it. Right now we have no answers at TE, while I feel we have some talent he’s not a bad Beason type of risk. But it’s a risk. I rather go Quarless because he will likely be on the field and have upside with our holdovers and/or a draft pick.

Given where we are I rather go young than vet if it’s close to an either way decision. However, with Rolle I don’t see how cutting him helps us. Rolle was drafted as a first round CB so his athleticism even at 31 for safety is still very good. He has the profile of a player who’s still in the midst of his prime on the field and clearly one of if not our #1 leader. Signing him to a 3-4 deal does have some risk but IMO not the same as Tuck. Plus With Hill, Brown, Taylor, Mundy and even Thomas we have a ton of questions.

A free agent WR that’s worth a look as a cheaper stop gap option that should hold back Randle and Jernigan is Ted Ginn. We do need a field stretcher, I’m not sure if Murphy just wasn’t good enough or just used poorly but that type of player is someone we need. Ginn also give us a proven return specialist. If Wilson really is healthy he really should concentrate of RB and if he isn’t we need a guy anyways.

Nosh.0 says:
    February 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    I agree with a lot of this, which is why I would look into an O-Lineman at #12. Because it’s not just about 2014, but about having an upper tier OL for the future.

Beason is a risk, which is why I expect we can get him for reasonable money. Hopefully with some injury clauses in his contract. The difference between him and Nicks is this, Beason showed us last year he can still play. #88 hasn’t shown us that since 2011. But I suppose you and others will keep bringing up his name until he signs somewhere else next month, without the Giants even offering him a deal.

As for Joseph, I’ve said my piece. He’s gone to the highest bidder. People that want to keep him should ask themselves if they want to pay him like a top 5-8 DT, because that’s the money he will get. Think 5-6 mill per.

And yeah we’re in agreement on the FA WR. A cheap #4 type guy. I like Ginn for that role. Also am intrigued by Heyward Bey.

GOAT56 says:
    February 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    6 years 36 mil is what Cofield got and I think that’s about the range we should be willing to pay for Joseph. While we survived without Cofield I think it still was a mistake and we ended up paying even more for Canty. The question you have to ask is are you really getting a better free agent(s) with that money and I just don’t think so. We will still have to replace Joseph with a top draft pick or free agent by 2015. I don’t believe Jenkins, Patterson or Kuhn are quality starting DTs in 2015.

I went to Maryland so I have long been a DHB follower. This year really caused me to lose faith in him. He’s a different option than Ginn and more like Murphy because he’s not a return guy. But DHB does still have promise at WR if he can just catch the ball.

Begiant says:
    February 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    What do you guys think of drafting a starting #1 RB in the draft? Wilson can be the #2 running back and KR specialist. We can let Brown walk because of his injury history or if no team wants to pay him big money we can resign him for cheap. Micheal Cox can be the #3/4 depending on Brown.

jerseyrich says:
    February 10, 2014 at 4:13 AM
    There may be guys available in the 4th round that are possibly more talented than anyone on our roster. I doubt they’d be able to be the lead dog in their rookie season but probably by 2015. We almost have to draft a quality RB though, whether he’s starting from day 1 or not. What we went through last year was ridiculous, and im not confident on Wilson coming back, at least not until the season is half over. I want to keep Brown because I truly know very little about cox.

Krow says:
    February 10, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    RBs have such a short shelf life that drafting one high only makes sense if you’re a contender who needs the proverbial ‘last piece of the puzzle’. Wilson made that kind of sense when we thought we were that kind of team. Now that we know we’re not drafting a RB 1 or 2 is a luxury we can’t afford.

jerseyrich says:
    February 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Drafting one higher than the 4th round would be nuts, I agree. I think it would be wise though to use our 4th or one of our 5ths (if we get the extra pick) on one. There are some decent guys who might be there.

I don’t think anyone expects us to draft a RB in the first few rounds but we clearly need to draft a RB, maybe 2. You can clearly get excellent RBs in the mid to later rounds.

3.  TuckThis says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if no announcements were necessary?
    Yes, I realize we’ve come a long way, but this makes you realize how far we still need to go! Good luck Sam.

This wasn’t a Jason Collins basically he announced because he knew it was going to get out. He told he teammates in August. He just wanted it to get out on his terms. I still think it takes a ton of courage to do so before the draft. I thought it would be a while before this day came in the NFL, the most macho of the major spots. Sometimes being an adult you don’t realize just how much society has changed even in the last 10-20 years.

•  JBeast3 says:

Im not for or against being gay to be frank i really dont care what your orientation is and i feel thats the way it should be, why should anyone care if this kid is gay? Can he play football? Is he good at it? I have never seen him play but an all american and SEC defensive player of the year i would love if he was around in rounds 4-6 i would take him in a heart beat. The reason i say that low is i think OL CB RB LB are all bigger needs.

As a prospect it seems that Sam may get undervalued and really could be on our radar if he’s there in the mid to late rounds. I understand he’s a tweener and not a great athlete but when you’re in the SEC and have is production that normally gets you drafted at least by the 3rd round. For our needs because as a 4-3 DE he’s a pass rush guy only he’s no more than a 4th round pick for us. But given our pass rush issues in the 4th round you have to take a long look at this kid.

Off the field he reminds me of Teo media wise. you let him speak once then as long as he’s not seeking outside attention the story will die down and he will just become a football player.

5.  rlhjr says:

Krow says:
    February 10, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    I think Bradshaw took an XBox from someone’s dorm room … and Manningham smoked a little dope in college. Those are rather harsh labels for such minor transgressions.

Click here to cancel reply.
    Logged in as rlhjr. Logout

I get your drift bud. But those transgressions cost both Bradshaw and Manningham position on the draft board. The took character hits.

6.  JBeast3 says:

As for WRs on the FA market i would pass on Boldin and James Jones unless its for a really cheap contract. Otherwise I’m with everyone else on the board draft a prospect or sign a WR 4 from FA. I like the idea of Ginn, Manningham. I dont want anything to do with DHB horrible hands never seem to try hard for over the middle catches, I’m good on DHB.

Gimme Manningham on a prove incentive laden deal, he is coming off a knee injury but appeared healthy in the last 4 games for SF. He is familiar with Eli and vice versa, he is decent at YAC and maybe with a simpler route pattern ( not the option route) he might make less mistakes.

If we go draft ill take Watkins in the first no other wr worth 12 or Benjamin/Lee in the 2 nd after that i wouldn’t take a wr until round 4 or later.

•  rlhjr says:

Manningham would be perfect IMO. And I too like the G101 draft analysis.
      However, I will reserve some of my opinion until the combine.

I’d like to see if Watkins is similar to the kid the Rams drafted last year.
      Tavon Austin is a player. Big time game changer and he can strike from any point on the field. Stunning speed/moves.

Side note, they also got Alec Ogletree who started every game for them.

•  JBeast3 says:

I wanted Ogletree last draft in the first him or Jarvis Jones. I thought Watkins was a different kinda player than Tavon Austin with different build. Watkins is 6’1 201lbs while Autsin is 5’9 180lbs. I think Watkins can be a true number 1 kinda like a Justin Blackmon kinda player. I only saw 1 game of his but have been watching his highlights and thats the impression i get. Would love to draft him at 12 if there, even tho i have been screaming for Dennard all offseason. At 12 it has to be either Dennard or Watkins if Clowney, Matthews and Robinson are all off the board at 12. If all 5 are gone by 12 i would love to trade down, if not possible, ill go Gilbert, Mack, Ebron or Nix/Jerrnigan

•  jerseyrich says:

LOL…if we do keep our 12 pick, its almost guaranteed that ONE of the guys you named will be the pick. Barr (if he drops), lewan, and zack martin are all wildcards though at that spot.

•  jerseyrich says:

I think we’d all take Watkins at 12….sadly he’ll be gone by then. Lee and Benjamin will be gone when we pick in the 2nd as well.

I want no part of Sam on this team, and it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. He’s a classic “college DE who needs to be converted to OLB in the NFL”. We’ve had more than enough of those guys. I don’t want another one. Anyway, he’s at best a round 4 pick despite being SEC Defensive Player of the year. He isn’t big enough to play defensive end in the NFL and he has never played linebacker. No thank you.

•  JBeast3 says:

I have never seen the kid play but he put up numbers and for a low round pick 4-7 i would be more than happy to have him.

8.  GIANTT says:

I dont know Sam as a player . I just hope that everyone has the attitude -eh , ok no big deal lets just judge his talent.
    I also hope that him coming out doesnt affect his position in the draft

9.  GIANTT says:

Hey Dan , Ive just been catching up and I LOVE the review on old games . But shouldnt the first game have been a WIN to get the occasional reader like me excited ?