Ex-Giant Carl Banks Rips Corey Webster on Twitter; Says He Quit on Team in 2013

February 10th, 2014 at 1:00 PM
By Doug Rush

It came as no shock to many when it was announced on Friday that the New York Giants had allowed veteran cornerback Corey Webster's contract to void, which will save the team $1 million in cap space for 2014.

With the voiding of Webster's deal, it will all but end his tenure with the team, which started out when Webster was taken in the second-round of the 2005 NFL Draft and helped the team win two Super Bowls in his time with the Giants. However, while a lot of Giants fans were appreciative of Webster's time and efforts with the team, one particular guy wasn't too appreciate of Webster's final season in New York.

Former Giants linebacker and current radio broadcaster Carl Banks took to Twitter on Friday and once the news broke of the team parting ways with Webster, decided to tear into Webster and felt that the 31-year-old quit on the team in 2013.

Webster only appeared in four games for the Giants, his last being in late October against the Philadelphia Eagles back in Week 8 but then never appeared in another game for the rest of the season despite hearing reports of Webster potentially playing and was placed on season-ending injured reserve in mid-December.

Considering Banks is around the team year-round from doing commentary on WFAN with Bob Papa, he has a good grasp on the feel and pulse of the team and his assessment of Webster not coming back to the Giants from his injuries may be legitimate and Webster's not playing could have been a bigger part of the problem in the season; something Banks eluded to back in Week 3 after the team getting shut out 38-0 by the Carolina Panthers when Banks said the team showed no fight and all but quit in the game.

If what Banks said about Webster is true and he really did quit on the team, then his departure came at just the right time where the Giants need to rebound from a disappointing 7-9 campaign last year.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Carl Banks, Corey Webster, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

25 Responses to “Ex-Giant Carl Banks Rips Corey Webster on Twitter; Says He Quit on Team in 2013”

1.  Kettles78 says:

Wow I wouldn’t have thought Webster would quit on the team. I would have thought he would want to prove he wasn’t finished like most of us thought

•  rlhjr says:

Same here. I thought the team should let him go, but not because he quit.

I’d love to hear Bank’s take on Tuck, Snee, Baas and Beatty.

2.  jerseyrich says:

I can see it…the guy has won 2 SB’s, he’s obviously at the end of his career, the team stinks, he’s not making a lot of money (as far as the NFL goes), he’s a bit banged up…..not too hard to believe.

I have no hard feeling towards him regardless….he was a good Giant.

•  Krow says:

Totally agree. Of course that assumes he keeps his mouth shut … and doesn’t go on to tell us how much he hates the team … the coaches … the fans … etc etc.

Twitter is like catnip to professional athletes. They just can’t resist it … but it ends up making them look like fools.

Isn’t this exactly what $nee did? Isn’t this exactly what $nee is trying to do in 2014? Isn’t this exactly what $nee will try to do in 2015 if it works in 2014? Etc etc …

If they’re payin’ then I’m stayin’ …

This does point out one thing … that when one of your guys starts to go downhill then it’s damn near impossible to keep them around even at a reduced salary. They’ll just be bitter and unhappy. Better they should move on to a new team and a clean slate while you bring in someone new.

This is just another story in what has become a very bitter off-season as we start to hear enough to figure out that this team was dysfunctional in many, many, ways. Players quit, some in games, some before the games even happened. Receivers refused to carry through their routes. Some players regularly missed assignments, which would indicate they didn’t study enough. The offensive coordinator made horrid decisions about personnel and play calls, and continued his regular practice of forcing the offense to run up against the play clock on way too many occasions. The front office didn’t recognize how awful the offensive line had become and was apparently unaware of how physically damaged members of that unit were (something the training staff should have made clear to all). The defense had to be simplified again (for about the fourth time under the same coordinator), after which it played pretty well.

I’m sorry. I know all about how wonderful Tom Coughlin is supposed to be, how he’s won two titles, etc. etc. But the more I hear the less I think Coughlin should be this team’s coach any longer. I am now even more convinced than I was that a contract extension is absolutely unjustified. This team was in disarray in 2013. It quit. It played stupidly. It was undermanned, in part because there was a disconnect between the draft room and the coaching staff. It all adds up to poor leadership. VERY poor leadership. And they can’t pin it on Mara. He’s the only one raising Holy Hell while Reese and Coughlin seem to think that a few twists here and there would fix everything. I have wanted to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, and have. But there’s way too much “stuff” coming out that should lead to any intelligent person’s recognition that something is rotten in Denmark, and change of leadership is past due.

John Mara should NOT reward Coughlin, or Reese, for past accomplishments. To hell with continuity. It appears to me that Coughlin is part of the problem, not the solution. I know Dan is more familiar with the inner workings of the team and insists Coughlin is still in command and will be here for years to come. But at this point, I sure hope not. Remember, these are COUGHLIN’S offenses and defenses (schemes and major decisions, and game plans, require his imprimatur or they die a quick death), they are HIS decisions not to play people who could have contributed, and that he DOES have great influence in the draft room but then has undermined a number of draft approaches with his and his coordinators’ choices about playing opportunities.

I don’t like much of anything I’ve heard about this team since the season began other than the change in offensive coaches, and I do not for a second believe that wasn’t John Mara’s doing. Anyone who claims otherwise is fooling himself. This was imposed on Coughlin, just as was Steve Spagnuolo when he was hired. The Head Coach went along for the ride.

Coughlin and Fewell, and Reese, should be on the hot seat, and the last thing Mara should do is allow Coughlin to feel comfortable in 2014. Let him fight for his job. Based on what we’ve been hearing I don’t think he deserves it any longer, but I’d allow him to serve out his contract. But without a run deep into the playoffs this season I’d seek a different coach. I’d start with McAdoo as my first candidate and spread from there.

•  Krow says:

As you know, if you run a business there are times when you have to make hard, unpopular decisions. This is where we are right now. Myers and Webster should be just the start. But none of it will take if the royal son-in-law gets another large chunk of the cap.

Let’s role play this from Webster’s perspective last year. Both he and $nee are making $7,000,000. The team cuts him in half. Even if he buys it … even if he understands the business dynamics of it … he’s still got to look over at $nee and think ‘yeah, it pays to be a nice white boy married to the coach’s daughter’. That’s got to eat at you. Locker room poison.

I don’t disagree, but if you take the money (and $1MM ain’t peanuts) you have to do the work.

The Snee situation is a cancer. Another reason I would like to see his father-in-law gone so Reese doesn’t have to think about cutting the guy. That contract is an outrage and should have been seen as such by everyone associated with the team. Do they really think the other players are stupid?

•  rlhjr says:

The high or low water mark (depending on your disposition) came when after the Steeler game two seasons ago, Coughlin proclaimed that David Diehl had played a good game.

My eyes have still not fully settled back into their respective sockets after that remark.

Then they send the kid Petrus away and he turns out to be serviceable.
      Mitch Petrus might have been the second best offensive lineman in 2013.
      That’s not saying much, but it’s more than what was available.

Why? Protecting DD and $nee, prime examples of loyalty and nepotism gone horribly wrong.

There are big bunches of BS going on in that office. Not the least of which are lack of communication and planning. The Bronx Zoo you say? How about the Bates Meadowlands Inn.

•  Kettles78 says:

Wait so let me get this straight? McAdoo hasn’t even called a play in the NFL and he could be Coughlins replacement? The team quit on Coughlin because Webster quit and Snee was injured? Sorry not with you on this one. Loyalty to a fault is one thing with Coughlin but to make it like he lost it with this team is incorrect. I will go based off the effort you see from majority of the players not a small few

If Snee is gone (or given a $1MM contract as a modest gift for past services, which I wouldn’t like but could tolerate if the guy can contribute ANYTHING in 2014), Eli gives back about $5MM as part of a contract extension, Rolle gives back $2-3MM as part of an extension, Myers is dumped, Tuck is either gone or signed to a modest contract at no more than $3MM, both Browns are brought back at very reasonable numbers, and Baas is gone if not COMPLETELY healthy, and beason is signed, then I’d say there’s at least a chance this team will be back on track. I wish I could say that I’m confident that will be the case under this regime. I’m not.

8.  jerseyrich says:

Just a reminder from what I posted the other day: as of today, for the 2014 season, Mr Baas has the second highest cap number in the NFL amongst all centers, Mr Beatty has the 10th highest cap number in the NFL amongst all LT’s, and Mr. Snee has the number ONE highest cap number in the NFL amongst all guards.

•  rlhjr says:

Good God Almighty…………………

•  JBeast3 says:

Snee needs to retire and Baas should be cut but by cutting him i only saves 1.4 mil so we might as well keep him and draft his replacement in Stork. If we cut Baas this season we dont save enough to sign someone for his spot. I will be more than happy to have Baas and Stork battling over the starting C spot. If Baas does win, great, but we all know he will miss at least 2 games with injuries.

•  jerseyrich says:

Cutting Baas has a negligible effect on the overall financial status of the team, I agree. The fact that he has done almost nothing at that price is what is so appalling.

Unless there is some date that factors into the money situation which im unaware of, I have no idea why snee hasn’t already been cut. As far as I know, he has no June 1st cut designation so the Giants (again, as far as I know) have no reason not to have cut him already.

•  JimStoll says:

the o-line is Exhibit A in the trial of Jerry Reese for treason against the State of the New York giants

In a separate trial, both Snee and Baas have been charge with Larceny

•  Kettles78 says:

up until Last year Beatty played well and it was thought he was going to be an above average LT. He had a terrible year but to kick him to a curb as a waste is ridiculous based off of one year. Baas on the other hand yuck

9.  TuckThis says:

Baas was a disaster from the get go. He spent more time sitting than playing.
    Bad signing.
    Retaining Coughlin beyond this year is a BIG mistake. This team has to get younger, faster and healthier. Coughlin only believes in playing old grizzled vets. Not a good match! Time to move on.