New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle a Potential Cap Casualty?

February 9th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

MattBritt00 / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA
Although the New York Giants are expected to be in a much better salary cap situation in 2014 — especially given the retirement of David Diehl and the voided contracts of Corey Webster and Brandon Myers — there are still a few players who could, potentially, be cap casualties. And despite his desire to work with the Giants, Sports Illustrated lists safety Antrel Rolle and his $9.25M as a potential salary cap cut for Big Blue.

"The Giants are in a stronger cap position for 2014 than the Cowboys, but they also likely have no interest in keeping Rolle’s $9.25 million hit on the books. A contract extension for the 31-year-old safety could solve that problem, but releasing him would free up $7.25 million — all of Rolle’s remaining deal save leftover bonus money."

Given his massive cap hit, Rolle is well aware that some sort of move needs to be made. Ideally, the Giants' lone Pro Bowler would like to negotiate a contract extension, which would ease his cap burden in 2014, and move him one step closer to his ultimate goal: retiring as a member of the Giants.

"If that's what they want to do, I'll do it," Rolle said in December. "I would like to retire as a Giant. The ultimate goal is an extension and add more years to my deal so I can stay a part of this organization. I know easily I have four years left."

At the end of the day (see what we did there?), there's little chance that Rolle — a defensive captain, leader and solo star — ends up a cap casualty, especially when he's willing to re-negotiate. And despite many outlets reporting and speculating as such, it would be shocking to see No. 26 play in any other uniform for the remainder of his career.

Expect Rolle to work out some sort of deal with the Giants and, eventually, hang them up as a member of the organization.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Brandon Myers, Corey Webster, David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

13 Responses to “New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle a Potential Cap Casualty?”

1.  rlhjr says:

From what I’ve read Rolle could be a goner. This is strictly from a money standpoint (bean counter aspect). I think Rolle would modify his contract in order to help the team. Pretty sure Eli would as well. Snee (IMO) should be shown the door. If he stays and Rolle somehow is let go, I will take a break from watching Giant football games.

I suppose anything is possible, but you can’t bank of Hill being reliable enough to take over for Rolle. Steve Brown is returning from injury. Taylor Cooper, where you at? Put it this way, losing both Rolle and Beason on defense means a full blown rebuild effort would be underway. That added to the offensive overhaul equals rebuild….major.

•  Fran2Eli says:

What a sickening thought – Snee hangs on as nothing more than a cap hit and Rolle is let walk do to cap space.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

I personally think Rolle the player is a bit overrated, so this talk is not crazy. However the intangibles Rolle brings are pretty much un replaceable. Same goes for Beason. I think AP brought similar intangibles that he never got credit for.

rlhjr is right, lose those 2 guys and now we are looking at a major rebuild. I think Krow said it a few days ago, we’re right on the line right now between being a good team or a pretty bad one. Have a good off season and draft and we could be a contender next year. A bad offseason and draft and we’re looking at another losing season.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Saw some talk about Reese’s drafts last thread, and I’ll just add my 2 cents.

I think our personnel failures are due to a couple factors.

1. Talented players getting injured. (Kenny Phillips, Hakeem Nicks, JPP, David Wilson, TT, Jon Goff)

2. Injured before they ever had a chance (Marvin Austin, Chad Jones)

3. Didn’t fit the system (Sintim)

4. Just can’t play (Barden, Beckum, Dillard, Scott, and a bunch more)

Then you have to ask yourself what players have ability that the coaches did a poor job developing. David Wilson is a perfect example of this pre neck injury. You also have to wonder about OL prospects like Brewer and Mosley.

•  Nosh.0 says:

And then of course there are the UDFA’s Reese actually hit on. Guys like Cruz, Paysinger, Will Hill, Ballard, Hynoski.

•  Hanshi says:

Reese seems to miss on 2nd thru 4th rd.
      Year, Rd, Overall, Player
      2006 2 44 Sinorice Moss

2008 4 123 Bryan Kehl

2009 2 45 Clint Sintim

2009 3 85 Ramses Barden

2009 3 100 Travis Beckum

2010 4 115 Phillip Dillard

2011 2 52 Marvin Austin

$nee is the canary in the mine. If the team is serious about improving then this guy has to go. And it’s not that he hasn’t had a fine career. He was a part of two Superbowls, and for that we should all be grateful. But it’s pretty clear that he’s lost the fire … lost the desire. I think he knows he’s done with football. But he’s trying to leverage his reputation … and his family status … to grind as much cash out of the team as possible. It’s a disreputable thing to do … and should be beneath him … but unfortunately it’s not.

5.  kujo says:

100% agree with Dirt’s take on Reese and Accorsi in the previous thread, btw.

•  rlhjr says:

I read it and I’m there.

Reese has a chance to redeem himself. The players have been mentioned including Hankins, Moore and Pugh. We don’t really know about Taylor (Cooper) and Hosley.

The offensive linemen IMO are not even worth talking about. So I think he hits at about a 30 percent rate.

Accorsi knew how to handle his business. That’s a fact. I do think if Reese is asked to field a player for a specific task he can do pretty well. But when he has a whim, well the team only has JPP to show for it.

6.  WellingtonsGhost says:

This article makes me sick to my stomach. Rolle along with the addition of Beason are the heart of our defense. They motivate, act professionally, and come ready to play week in and week out. Rolle is a known quantity; practices hard, great run stopper, sufficient cover man if he is not put in a bad situation schematically i.e. much faster receiver. Such as the end of the Dallas game when Rolle got beat up because he played his heart out the whole game of which the defense was on the field most of the game and had nothing left in the tank on the final drive. In a year where the defense was on the field entirely too much, Rolle played his butt off and got pro bowl honors. Rolle should have been made a captain sooner regardless of Tuck. Tuck’s laissez faire demeanor doesnt motivate anyone to play better football and I question his accountability as a captain. Is he professional, yes; is that enough on sundays, no. Tuck picked it up the second half of the season but my theory is that was because he was rushing from the tackle position, which didnt require as much lateral speed rush and allowed him to bull rush. His speed to the QB from the defensive end position are done. Off the tangent, Rolle makes the players around him better, pure and simple. Those are the guys the Giants need to keep. Either way he has earned great respect from me with his play and a jersey with his name will be added to the collection. Thanks

•  rlhjr says:

That sir was very well put.

It could be argued that on defense Antrell, Beason and Joseph are pillars.
      In a perfect world, all three would be resigned and JPP could be cut a deal consumate with his recovery and talent already displayed.

Under no condition should Tuck, Snee or Baas be resigned. They are quite simply a burned roster spot. There are deserving kids and vets who can actually play at a high level for less money. Those three are done IMO.