"The Giants are in a stronger cap position for 2014 than the Cowboys, but they also likely have no interest in keeping Rolle’s $9.25 million hit on the books. A contract extension for the 31-year-old safety could solve that problem, but releasing him would free up $7.25 million — all of Rolle’s remaining deal save leftover bonus money."
Given his massive cap hit, Rolle is well aware that some sort of move needs to be made. Ideally, the Giants' lone Pro Bowler would like to negotiate a contract extension, which would ease his cap burden in 2014, and move him one step closer to his ultimate goal: retiring as a member of the Giants.
"If that's what they want to do, I'll do it," Rolle said in December. "I would like to retire as a Giant. The ultimate goal is an extension and add more years to my deal so I can stay a part of this organization. I know easily I have four years left."
At the end of the day (see what we did there?), there's little chance that Rolle — a defensive captain, leader and solo star — ends up a cap casualty, especially when he's willing to re-negotiate. And despite many outlets reporting and speculating as such, it would be shocking to see No. 26 play in any other uniform for the remainder of his career.
Expect Rolle to work out some sort of deal with the Giants and, eventually, hang them up as a member of the organization.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Antrel Rolle, Brandon Myers, Corey Webster, David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle Will Receive Thurman Munson Award at Gala in February
- Antrel Rolle Open to a Contract Extension with New York Giants; Wants to Retire a Giant
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Named a 2013 AP Second Team All-Pro
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Will Replace Earl Thomas in 2014 Pro Bowl
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17xi