Although no exact public formula exists for how the NFL determines compensatory picks, there is enough information available for the well-informed to make relatively accurate projections. And with a very sound resume, Craig Turner is essentially the expert compensatory pick projector. A year ago, he correctly projected picks for 24 teams, while only coming away entirely incorrect on three (which was credited to a "gray area"). As such, he get the benefit of the doubt.
In his most recent projections for the 2014 NFL Draft, Turner has the New York Giants receiving, at the very least, one 5th round compensatory pick. However, depending on how the NFL views a few other variables, Big Blue may walk away with up to three compensatory picks.
Let's take a look, shall we?
Players signed: Brandon Myers ($3.6M), Josh Brown ($930K), Ryan Mundy ($780K) and Louis Murphy ($715K).
Now, this is where things get tricky for the Giants.
Because Umenyiora's contract was voidable a season ago and used to "push money" to future cap purposes, Turner did not reward the Giants for his loss. However, the NFL may not see it that way and could potentially reward the Giants for his departure to the Atlanta Falcons. This scenario however, is unlikely.
Turner also took away a potential 7th round compensatory pick for the Giants because Mundy played over 100 snaps (667 snaps). However, if the NFL deems Mundy unqualified for compensatory pick factoring, it would result in the Giants receiving the aforementioned 7th round pick.
Finally, because kicker Josh Brown did not play a full season for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2012/2013, Cincy is unlikely to receive a compensatory pick for his loss to the Giants.
Ultimately, with Brandon Myers' contract having been voided, the decision by General Manager Jerry Reese not to pay Martellus Bennett his asking price a season ago has resulted in little more than a 5th round compensatory pick.
Likely final scenario: Giants receive a 5th round compensatory pick.
Best case scenario: Giants receive 5th round and two 7th round compensatory picks.
Super Bowl XLVIII Contest Winner: Congratulations to Krow, who won the Sports Media 101 Super Bowl XLVIII contest. Please e-mail email@example.com to claim your prize!
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Brandon Myers, Chase Blackburn, Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, Domenik Hixon, Football, Jerry Reese, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Ryan Mundy
- New York Giants Acquired Jon Beason from Carolina Panthers for a Seventh-Round Pick: Report
- Retired New York Giants DE Michael Strahan to Receive the 2014 Pat Summerall Award
- Would New York Giants Consider Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater If Landed #1 Pick in 2014 Draft?
- New York Giants Set to Acquire LB Jon Beason from Carolina Panthers for Late Draft Pick: Report
- New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle Will Receive Thurman Munson Award at Gala in February
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17xf