What becomes of New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks remains to be seen, but the general consensus is that he will not return in 2014. As such, the Giants may be in the market for another wide receiver, and now that Ben McAdoo will be calling the plays for them, familiarity could play a role in that search. As such, speculation has begun to circulate about the Giants' potential interest in pending Green Bay Packers free agent James Jones.
The likely key with Jones, as opposed to other high-profile free agents like Golden Tate, is that he's unlikely to break the bank. And with a ton of money already tied up in Victor Cruz, as well as guaranteed roster spots for Rueben Randle and Jerrel Jernigan (who thought we'd ever say that about JJ?), he would appear to make the most sense.
With Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin and plenty of holes to fill on defense, it’d surprise me if Green Bay made much of an attempt to resign the soon-to-be 30-year-old.
Jones signed a 3-year deal worth almost $10 million after the Packers 2010 Super Bowl run, as the market for Jones’ services was dry. Now 3 years older, Jones will have even less suitors, and he’ll surely get less than that this time around.
In 104 career games, Jones has caught 310 passes for 4,305 yards and 37 touchdowns. His best season came in 2012 when he hauled in 64 passes for 784 yards and 14 touchdowns.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Ben McAdoo, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, Hakeem Nicks, James Jones, Jerrel Jernigan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle
- Green Bay Packers RB James Starks Could Be “Contingency Plan” for New York Giants
- New York Giants Wide Receivers Regain Familiarity with Sean Ryan
- New York Giants’ Charles James to 2014 NFL Draft Class: “Don’t Let Those Rankings Be Your Downfall”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17vs