For the better part of the last week, Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley, a pending free agent, has been a hot topic in New York. And it all started with New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle attempting to "recruit" him at a Super Bowl XLVIII viewing party.
"He said that he would love to be a part of the Giants," Rolle said. "He was telling me Ben McAdoo is a brain, that he’s going to keep defenses guessing, he’s very smart. I just said ‘Yes!’"
Although Rolle claims Finley said he would love to join the Giants, this news led to Finley's agent, Blake Baratz, making a statement about his client's desire to retire with the Packers.
“Right now he is a Packer and I know he would love to play his entire career there," Finley’s agent, Blake Baratz, said in an email to the New York Post. “For the next five weeks or so they have his exclusive negotiation rights. If it doesn’t work out in Green Bay for whatever reason then I believe there are a number of teams that could use a talent like Jermichael."
Despite that, the Latino Post is now reporting that the Giants are expected to make a "strong push" for the tight end in the event he makes it to free agency. And with Brandon Myers having his deal voided on Friday night, the team certainly now has a need at the position.
The major concern with Finley is a serious neck injury — and subsequent surgery — that ended his 2013 season. However, while making the rounds at Radio Row a week ago, Finley said he's about 99.9% recovered and will be cleared for contact sometime over the next three or four weeks. He was previously cleared to run routes and catch passes.
Health could make Finley a hot free agent commodity. In 70 career games with the Green Bay Packers, the tight end hauled in 223 passes for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns. His best season came in 2011 when he caught 55 passes for 767 yards and eight touchdowns.
In six NFL seasons, Finley has played in all 16 games only twice — 2011 and 2012.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Antrel Rolle, Ben McAdoo, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, Jermichael Finley, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Jermichael Finley “Would Love” to Be a Part of the New York Giants
- Antrel Rolle Trying to “Sell” New York Giants to Jermichael Finley
- Jermichael Finley’s Agent Says He’d Like to Retire with Packers, but New York Giants an Option
- “Strong Likelihood” Jon Beason Returns to New York Giants in 2014: Report
- Hakeem Nicks not Expected to Return to New York Giants; Fined Multiple Times by Team: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17v1