Ex-Giant Ahmad Bradshaw Unlikely to Re-Sign with Indianapolis Colts

February 5th, 2014 at 1:00 PM
By Doug Rush

The first six years of Ahmad Bradshaw's career were quite successful with the New York Giants, but his first year away from the Giants — with the Indianapolis Colts — did not quite go as planned.

Bradshaw signed with the Colts this past summer looking to take over as the number one running back, but he only lasted three games, as he injured his neck in September, which forced him to have season-ending neck surgery and was placed on injured reserve and lead to the Colts making a trade with the Cleveland Browns to pry Trent Richardson away.

In his three games, Bradshaw had 41 carries for 185 yards and 186 yards and two touchdowns. His final game with the Colts was back on September 22 against the San Francisco 49ers in which he had 19 carries for 95 yards and a touchdown, but as Mike Wells of ESPN Indianapolis has reported, it will likely be the final game he plays with the Colts.

"Bradshaw said in December that he felt good enough to play but the Colts had already placed him on injured reserve, ending his season. He wants to continue his playing career. It likely won’t be with the Colts, though. Vick Ballard will be back from ACL surgery and Richardson is returning. It’s hard to imagine Bradshaw accepting the role as the third running back on the depth chart."

It's a highly unlikely scenario given that the Giants cut him because of his salary and due to the fact that he had trouble staying healthy, however, given the fact that the Giants current running back situation is very bleak due to Brandon Jacobs retirement, Andre Brown being a free agent and David Wilson recovering from neck surgery, the Giants could always look to their former seventh round draft pick from 2007 if they need some familiarity to their offense; sort of similar to what the team did when they were in need of a running back in Week 2 and re-signed Jacobs off his couch.

In order to come back to the team, Bradshaw would likely have to accept a one-year offer for the veteran minimum given the fact he's coming off a major surgery, but since Wilson is not a given to even be healthy for 2014, Bradshaw might have the chance to play if he were to come back, plus more importantly, he knows how to pass protect and block for Eli Manning, something the running backs struggled with during the season.

If Bradshaw however doesn't come back to New Jersey and to the only place he's ever called home and won two Super Bowls with, there will likely be a few interested teams who can use a veteran running back and fierce team leader on their roster.

Photo credit: korpics via Flickr cc

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, David Wilson, Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Trent Richardson

19 Responses to “Ex-Giant Ahmad Bradshaw Unlikely to Re-Sign with Indianapolis Colts”

He was a great Giant … but we need to look forward … not backward.

And THIS could have been Superbowl weather !

Dakota Dozier, OG … this kid’s stock is on the rise. He’d be a steal in the 4th.

fanfor55years says:
    February 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I’ve actually taken the time to talk to some friends from Wisconsin and look at some tape of the Packers (who are my second favorite team).

I’m convinced that we got an absolute gem in McAdoo. We will see more creativity in our offense by Week 2 than we’ve seen in all of Kevin Gilbride’s career. How many of you know that the Pack actually used a wide receiver as a back in the Red Zone so they could threaten the defense down there with an extra mismatch? And then ran out of that formation for touchdown? They used four tight ends in one formation, with one going into motion. They had a fullback split out wide. they used a defensive back on offense in two games.

And oh, they LIKE to speed up the game by getting out of the huddle fast and running their plays quickly. We are going to have to do without our old tempo on offense of having plays get to Eli with 18 seconds on the clock, getting the call set with 12 seconds left, going to the line, making the read, calling an audible and then, hopefully, snapping the ball as the clock runs to 1 or zero. I sure am going to miss that.

Adding McAdoo could easily be worth the equivalent of one stud offensive lineman and a quality tight end. This was a GREAT hire, and we should all be thankful for John Mara finally saying he’d had enough and forcing Gilbride out. I don’t care what story they retail. That’s what happened and only complete Coughlin apologists pretend otherwise.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I absolutely agree on McAddo. And which is also why i think that we draft Eli an weapon. either WR or Ebron or another TE. I just so happen to think that Ebron is the most athletic of the bunch and can be used in many different formations.

That said, I disagree with you about Lewen. I have mixed feelings about him. I’ve seen him look like a stud, and i’ve seen him more times look like he has concrete on his feet.

I just don’t see an Olineman worthy at #12. Unless Robinson, or Matthews fall.

Also, I like Gilbert over Dennard bc of his speed. Although i think that Dennard is the more physical the two. Dennard actually didn’t play great in the Rose Bowl. He took some bad angles, and get beat deep a few times. I have a feeling one of them might be the next Aaron Ross. Which is also why i’m leaning towards Ebron, Marquise Lee, Evans, Benjamin etc…

And i liked your sarcasim about Nicks on the other page, but in all honesty, i think the team should pay Linval over Nicks. I think Nicks value is really overrated around here. The kid simply isn’t what he was. And it’s his health.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Lewan too. But I really like his nasty streak. He really does remind me of Diehl at his best, and that ain’t bad.

Neither Robinson nor Matthews is falling to #12, but if one did I’d take him in a nanosecond. Ain’t happening.

I agree that Gilbert is the more athletic of the two, but not by that much, and I like Dennard’s attitude. It’s time for us to get some guys in here with a desire to hit people until they start making “business decisions” and cut off routes. Dennard will do that. And I think that would rub off on Prince, who has been too influenced by Fewell’s constant refrain of “Don’t get beat deep”. Prince is a big kid who plays the run very well. If he gets an “attitude” he could be an elite corner, but I think he needs a “partner” who gets him going in that direction.

I’m hoping Nicks recovers his health. If he does, and we keep him, our offense under McAdoo should be special (as long as we shore up the O-line). The reason I’d direct money toward him ahead of Linval is that while I like the latter a lot, I really think we don’t lose very much at DT as long as we retain Mike Patterson. Jenkins, Patterson, Hankins, a draftee, and Kuhn or Rogers (if he’s healthy enough) would not be successfully run on if Beason is behind them. Now, if Beason leaves, that’s another story. But I’m counting on Reese to avoid being an idiot and letting Jon Beason go. On the other hand, a reasonably healthy Hakeem Nicks is a top-10 receiver and cannot be replaced by many people in the world. No doubt a gamble, but if the doctors say he’s healthy it’s one I’d take.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Nicks hasn’t played well in the past few years. I dont see a reason to re-sign him. I think he’s fell out of the top 10 WR’s mark, but he’ still might be top 15.

He played all year and he stunk.

He played all year hurt and trying to protect himself. The only question in my mind is whether doctors feel he can regain full health. If he can he is still very much an elite receiver, and those don’t grow in trees.

If he can’t pass a rigorous physical I want no part of him. If he can, then I want him on the Giants and I’d sacrifice Joseph and Tuck to keep him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

So know you do believe he was playing hurt and trying to protect himself?

I’ve been saying this since the 1st game!

anyway, if that’s the case, he’s cost himself a lot of money. I can’t wait to see what kind of contract he gets.

Have fun in Minnesota, Hakeem.

•  JBeast3 says:

We agree that OL shouldn’t be the pick at 12 unless its Mathews or Robinson. I do like Dennard over Gilbert at 12, Dennard reminds me of Revis; Dennard’s man to man skills are pretty good and as FF55 says he is very physical. The only other player i would take at 12 is WR Watkins. If all my guys are gone I would go with Ebron.

As for Nicks i would like him back but not at 9-10 mil per and if it comes down to Nicks or Linval ill take Linval.

•  JBeast3 says:

Im in Illinois for a year so i was able to see ALOT of Bears, Packers, Cincy, Colts and Rams games so i agree with you about the McAdoo hiring. I have noticed the HUGE difference in offensive style after watching a giants game then tune in to a GB game. I hope McAdoo brings some of that versatility with him. I get so sick of seeing Eli hurry to try and read a defense and try to make adjustments but can’t cause the play clock is at 1. If McAdoo can use a lot of different formations to set up mismatches esp in the red zone i will be so happy. I think we drafted Wilson a year too early lol. If he was coming to the giants now when we have McAdoo man o man how explosive the offense could be.

I’d happily take Bradshaw back as long as he’d take veteran minimum. e can ask Brandon Jacobs about that. If we got 2/3 of a season out of him it wold be worth it.

A kid I’d love to see us get as a running back (and who should be available in Round 4 or 5) is Lache Seastrunk. He absolutely jumped off the screen when I saw Baylor play once this season. And I saw a video on him that shows where he’s come from and how hard he had to work to get where he is. Great work ethic and takes nothing for granted. He’s tough and would be a great addition to the Giants.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

NO THANK YOU to Seastrunk.

he’s the most overrated RB in college.

I only saw him play one game, but he was terrific in that game. What makes you say that? Have you seen a lot of him?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

He struggled against top competition. And from what i’ve seen he’s likes to run east to west instead of north and south. Also haven’t seen him break too many tackles. He’s played great against weaker defense. That worries me.

he’s a small back too.

Just one last draft point. I see no way Yankey falls to us in the second round, though I’d love to get him, but the kid from UCLA (Xavier something) is almost as good but doesn’t have as high a reputation, so he might be a great target for us as an interior offensive lineman in Round 2. Kid can play and is VERY athletic for a big man.

•  JBeast3 says:

i hope he is there in round two i kinda have a feeling him and OG/OT Martin will have a Pugh like rise this draft.

Any one knows much about G Gabe Jackson?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Xavior Su’a Filo (SAMOAN, BTW) is rising up the charts. But at 12, he’s a reach. He’s projected anywhere from bottom 2nd to late 1st. I like the kid a lot.

And it’s certainly not out of reach for us to grab Yankey, but if we REALLY want him, they should up for him to secure him.

Yankey will be interesting to see what his pro-day and combine shows. He can either move up into the 1st or move to where we pick in the 2nd.

Yankey is one of the safest picks in the draft. He’ll be gone by mid-20′s.