February 4th, 2014 at 1:55 PM

It's been little less than a week since news broke of a bombshell lawsuit that accused the New York Giants, quarterback Eli Manning and several other members of the organization of knowingly creating and distributing fake "game-used" memorabilia for upwards of a decade. And with official statements having been released by the team and Manning, as well as counter-statements by the attorney for Eric Inselberg, who is a New Jersey sports collector and memorabilia dealer at the heart of the lawsuit, all has fallen quiet on the legal front.

However, while speaking about a second New York/New Jersey Super Bowl this past Sunday, Giants co-owner John Mara briefly opened up about the accusations and stated confidently that he expects the case to be thrown out of court.

“It’s a frivolous suit. And, unfortunately, it’s the cost of doing business in this day and age — that people sue you and you have to defend yourselves," Mara said. "And, unfortunately, the filing of the lawsuit always brings a lot more attention than the ultimate dismissal of the lawsuit. We’re very confident that this lawsuit will be dismissed, and I just hope that it receives a little bit of attention when it does because it is tough to have to deal with lawsuits like that, particularly this week. We’re going to vigorously defend ourselves and we’re very confident that this will be thrown out of court.”

In addition to allegations of creation and distribution of fake "games-used" memorabilia, the lawsuit also claims that the Giants used ideas and profited off of meetings provided by long-time sports memorabilia collector and reseller, Eric Inselberg. Further, the lawsuit claims that Giants brass "coerced, convinced, manipulated, persuaded, instructed and intimidated" members of their staff to lie to a Grand Jury and the FBI.

The lawsuit, which can be read here, also includes an e-mail exchange between Inselberg and Giants equipment director Joe Skiba which sets out to show the that fraudulent memorabilia was, in fact, purposely created and circulated.

In full, the suit names: New York Giants, Inc., quarterback Eli Manning, co-owner John Mara, equipment director Joe Skiba, assistant equipment director Ed Skiba, team CFO Christine Procops, team lawyer William Heller, team dry cleaner Barry Barone and locker-room manager Ed Wagner Jr. as defendants.

Photo credit: www.cheapjerseyslink.com / Foter / CC BY-SA

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Ed Skiba, Eli Manning, Eric Inselberg, Football, Joe Skiba, John Mara, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL

21 Responses to “New York Giants’ John Mara on Memorabilia Lawsuit: “We’re Very Confident This Will Be Thrown Out””

1.  Kettles78 says:

even though the draft was only moved back like a week, it seems so much further away. Can’t wait till Free Agency and the draft take place

I wonder what gang Eli will join in prison? I’m guessing this one …

3.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Has been a while since I have posted on here, but wanted to chime in real quick on potential picks at #12.

For me, the true “value” at #12 is, as many have stated, at CB or WR – although, more at CB. At #12, were we to go CB, we would likely be taking the first one off the board, as opposed to WR where a guy like Watkins could go as high as #2. For me, Dennard or Gilbert is the pick, with my heart leaning towards Dennard. I do like Kahlil Mack as a prospect but feel that if we were going to take a LB at #12 that Reese and company would prefer a guy like CJ Mosley from a larger, National Championship-winning, pro-style system as opposed to Mack. Just my thoughts – as I mentioned, either of those LB would immediately have an impact on our defense. Look at the Niners defense and what those stud LB’s do for them. I do think however that adding another stud CB to our secondary, in the “pass-first” NFL would do wonders for this defense.

We definitely have plenty of holes to fill this offseason…and Reese is going to really have to work some magic to make it happen. We do also have the most cap space that we have had in a LONG time. For me, I would extend both Rolle and Eli to free up a little bit more money. I would also offer Will Hill a very incentive based contract extension and lock him up NOW before next off season when he becomes a FA. In FA, I would target one ELITE OL prospect in FA (for me, it’s Alex Mack) one second tier FA OL (Wade Smith, Jon Asamoah) and then allocate the rest of our FA money to solid depth players at positions that we need to restock the shelves on – and then really hone in on the draft…selecting IMPACT players as opposed to project players. This is a very deep draft, and there will be players available in EVERY round. Believe that. I’d also go after Colt Lyerla with our last pick or go hard at him as a UDFA; the kid messed up in Oregon, but hopefully has learned from it…and with our coaching staff, etc. could become a steal of the draft.

•  kujo says:

I don’t buy this new idea that we’re going to draft a TE in the 1st round, but then I never thought we’d draft a RB in the 1st either.

That seems to have worked out well…

•  Krow says:

If he’s all they say then sure. Right now we need talent more than we need positional upgrades. The OL has to get fixed, but for me that’s free agency.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

would you rather pick a guy that you can plug in on the O-line at 12 and waste a pick on real talent though?

There’s noone there at 12 worth of slotting at the Oline IMO. unless by miracle someone falls.

•  Hanshi says:

Krow, where did yo hear that about Pugh. I’ve read nothing but good things about him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

probably from me, if it’s what i think you’re talking about.

Kid was a mess Friday night at the NYG SB party. And word has it that he’s like that a lot.

He might be a great guy, but he likes the cocaine for sure. FACT.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

McAddo uses TE’s his offense. Gilrbide didn’t. This kids the real deal. And could be a nice weapon for Eli, especially since Nicks is checked out.

I think they’ll go CB, WR, or TE if Ebron has a great combine. Mack is a can’t miss if he’s sitting at 12. I just dont see us settling on an O-lineman at 12.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Agree. Unless Matthews is sitting there at #12 (he won’t be) then the value isn’t there. I think that after the Combine that Ebron is going to jump up the mocks based purely on the freakish numbers he is going to put up. To me, he is very much a Vernon Davis type of TE…except for the fact that Davis is a MUCH better blocker than Ebron. I think in terms of combine numbers though that they will be similar. For me though, even though Macadoo utilizes TE’s….#12 seems high for this guy, especially with who should be left on the board.

•  rlhjr says:

If Reese takes Ebron, my buddy Kujo will Flipp “another” $7!+. LMFAO.

But I would sign off on that draft scenario any time BBG.
          That would be sweet.

This year even more than most, when we have so many balls in the air in regard to free agency (both retaining some of ours and grabbing some we’ve targeted), and we have so many pressing needs, it’s especially impossible to analyze our draft before we see who Reese has already brought in.

We also have no (or very little) idea about what to expect from Robinson, Mosley, Hankins and Moore. Presumably, the staff has a lot better sense of the potential impact of those players than do we. I sure hope so.

Until we know more I think it’s a bit crazy, even if fun, to start debating which player we should take. But we know a few things, or should. First, there will be very good players available at #12 and #44 if we choose to retain our picks. Second, this is a deep draft, so pick #44 and #76 should be valuable slots. Third, the Giants need to start thinking about toughness, in mind and body and spirit when they make these picks. This has become a soft team. The Seahawks and Niners are not soft. If you want to compete with them you need to stiffen up the players you’ve got. Fourth, this is a make-or-break draft for this front office and this coaching staff. If they blow this off-season I think Mara is going to clean house, and I think he should.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I think it’s safe to say that Mosely isn’t going to be our #2 CB and Robinson will not be our #1 TE. Hankins and Moore seem like they might get more time this year, but who knows. DT and DE are still positions we need help and depth at.

Since we blew a pick trading up for Nassib, i think the ONLY position we won’t be drafting is a QB.

FA will be telling for sure, but with our cap situation assuming we sign Beason, Linval or Tuck or whoever else, we don’t really have room to wiggle or intrigue top FA’s. THAT and add the fact that some guys wanna come in to win, and this team isn’t near there yet.

like you said months back, we are a 2 year project at this point. Things will be ok, but it’s gonna take some time.

•  JimStoll says:

I have to agree that we have a pretty good idea about Robinson and Mosely and it ain’t pretty.
        There’s plenty of room for optimism with Moore and hankins, although we are far from certain as to either.

But as most have said over and over, the o-line was so bad this past season that the offense simply was not competitive in 2013.
        If radical changes resulting in significant improvement are not made to that unit, nothing else will matter

5.  JBeast3 says:

My offseason plan to fix the giants:

Extend Eli and Rolle to free up cap space, have Snee retire or cut him to save 7 mil with these moves we should have about 30 mil in cap space.

Resign:

Draft:
    1. CB Dennard
    2. OG Yankey
    3. OLB Telvin Smith
    4. RB James White

•  jb322 says:

Love it! Only thing that I would change is adding Nicks to the list of Resign and substitute Andre Williams for James White.