February 4th, 2014 at 10:00 AM
By Doug Rush

It's been almost six years since Jared Lorenzen donned the colors of the New York Giants and five years since he was in the NFL altogether. Most people remember him for the funny nicknames when he was in the league. "The Hefty Lefty," "The Pillsbury Throw Boy" and "The Big Mound of Touchdown."

Even though he hasn't played professionally in a long time, Lorenzen is still taking snaps at quarterback for the North Kentucky River Monsters of the Continental Indoor League and in the video posted, the former Giant left-handed backup quarterback still possesses some scrambling ability.

The 32-year-old was once listed at 285 pounds when he was in the NFL, but apparently with the River Monsters, Lorenzen weighs in at 320 pounds — something unheard of for a quarterback considering anyone over 300 pounds in the NFL would play either on the offensive line or defensive line, yet Lorenzen still has his abilities to play the position.

Lorenzen was the backup quarterback to Eli Manning when the Giants won the Super Bowl back in the 2007 season over the New England Patriots.

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Jared Lorenzen, New York, New York Giants, NFL

10 Responses to “Former New York Giants QB Jared Lorenzen Playing Semi-Pro Football at 320 Pounds”

1.  JimStoll says:

back-up QB has been an area where JR has really made head-scratching decisions
    I think he’s drafted 4 in his 7 drafts; all have been oddly questionable

fanfor55years says:
    February 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I agree with Krow. This team could go either way. I’m one of Isaiah Berlin’s (look him up) “hedgehogs”. I don’t know much, but what I know I know well. And I know that teams are built from the “core” out. That core I speak of frequently consists of the offensive line, the defensive line, and the quarterback. If you are not strong there you are not winning a championship unless it’s a fluke.

If this team doesn’t QUICKLY rebuild its offensive line into a better-than-average unit, retain its strength against the run on defense by keeping their defensive tackles strong and in place, and get personnel into schemes that allow their defensive ends (with occasional help from an extra rusher) to pressure the quarterback, all of the other moves they make will be in vain.

I’m watching what they do closely. The extent to which they adhere to the above will tell the story. If they try to go “cute” in regard to the O-line while drafting wide receivers and corners early in May I’ll know all I need to know about the rest of the Manning Era. They have a great quarterback. But if they’re not going to protect him with a good blocking scheme and very good personnel and a solid run game, then they might as well draft a kid who can run around and make plays from outside the pocket on a regular basis. And we’d better resign ourselves to waiting for a new regime before we see another championship.

•  Krow says:

Reposted as a refrence …

At this moment I get the feeling that we’re a team on the edge. With a few good moves we can right the ship in a couple of years and be a solid contender. A few wrong moves and we’ll slide into obscurity for the next 3-5 years. For those of us at a certain age there’s an eerie sense of 1960’s déjà vu. In this updated version the part of Ali Sherman will be played by veteran actor Tom Coughlin. Eli Manning will reprise the role made famous by Y. A. Title. Rumors abound that Jerry Reese is the front runner to play Andy Robustelli. What a cast ! Let’s hope for a different Act III.

He’s got a SB ring and a boat load of stories to tell.

4.  Kettles78 says:

So crazy to see the hefty lefty be that big. He was always a big guy but wow

5.  rlhjr says:

So is it out of the question that a team picking ahead of the Giants would simply want to position themselves at 12 vice let’s say 9 or 8 for whatever reason?

I no impact players are left at 12, they almost have to trade down.
    The hope would be for an additional pick on the second and third round.

But from what I can tell, the organization doesn’t deal their first rounder.
    For that matter the Giants don’t deal their second and third rounder either.

So what would tempt them (other than job security) to go against the grain?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Plenty of Impact players will be there at 12. None of them will be O-line unless one of them magically falls.

but WR, TE, LB, DB will all be there for our picking and some good ones too.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

BigBlueGiant says:
    February 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

We have A LOT of needs in order to right the ship. Oline ( OT & OG), RB, TE, WR, DE, and CB.

Unless someone like Robinson or Matthews falls to us at #12, i doubt we go there. I also don’t see a G worth drafting there either. What I could see happening is Giants trading back in the 1st and grab someone like Lewen or if he’s gone go TE. Ebron is shooting up the mocks. So again, he very well might be the guy at #12 (sorry GOAT).

I think that CB has a few really good players most definitely worth at #12. Gilbert or Dennard would fit the bill. I’m actually leaning more towards Gilbert. the Kid could FLY.

RB can be addressed in the 3rd round, but we need another weapon for Eli to throw too. There is tons of good value at #12 at WR, which i’ve been saying all along, and with Nicks leaving, i think this is the pick.

Also, i’ve heard an inside source informing me that the Giants absolutely LOVE Kahlil Mack. If he lasts to #12, we might go ahead and pick him. And NO, he isn’t more suited for a 3-4, he’s an outside LB that will be able to play in ANY system he’s in. Won’t be mad at that pick.

Even though OL is our biggest need, i just dont see a worthy pick there at #12 unless someone slips. Robinson won’t be there.

Like I said I’m not a big fan of drafting Ebron that high but it’s certainly possible and has some logic moving to more of a west coast offense.

I like Gilbert too because he’s more athletic and had to stand up to big time passing games in the big 12. But I’m scared to overlook Dennard because he does seem to have a lot of Revis to his profile.

Mack is interesting. I don’t think a LB adds as much to our defense or team as much as other positions. But Mack seems to have as much of a can’t miss profile as anyone in this draft. Though I would have to thoroughly investigate his coverage skills because if you can’t cover well in today’s NFL at LB you’re just a part time player. However, Mack does have pass rush skills and can be use much like Denver uses Von Miller.

We are in a position that a lot of different type of players can help. Looking at value CB to me seems like best bet if we stay at 12.

It’s sad because I think if he actually got in let’s say big ben tye of size and shape he would have at least been a backup QB for a long time.

Even with a franchise QB you have invest into finding a backup QB at least every few years. Yes, JR has missed so far but it’s the right strategy. Nassib is still a long way from determining he can’t be the answer at backup QB.