Although help along the offensive line is the New York Giants' most glaring need, there's little flash about 300+ lbs. men battling it out in the trenches. And as General Manager Jerry Reese can attest, Big Blue fans like flashy. It's for that reason a hot offseason topic will be unrestricted free agent tight end Jermichael Finley, who not only fits a need for the Giants, but would find a comfortable place in a Ben McAdoo-run offense.
Like many fans, Giants players are not immune to this line of thinking. It's for that reason safety Antrel Rolle spent much of Super Bowl Sunday trying to "sell" the New York Giants to the talented tight end, reports Tom Rock of Newsday.
The major concern with Finley is a serious neck injury — and subsequent surgery — that ended his 2013 season. However, while making the rounds at Radio Row a week ago, Finley told Pro Football Talk that he's about 99.9% recovered and will be cleared for contact sometime over the next three or four weeks. He was previously cleared to run routes and catch passes.
Health could make Finley a hot free agent commodity. In 70 career games with the Green Bay Packers, the tight end hauled in 223 passes for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns. His best season came in 2011 when he caught 55 passes for 767 yards and eight touchdowns.
In six NFL seasons, Finley has played in all 16 games only twice — 2011 and 2012.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.Antrel Rolle, Ben McAdoo, Football, Jermichael Finley, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: “Things Need to Be Shaken up” After “Eye-Opening” Season
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: Leader, Motivator & 2014 Pro Bowl Snub
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Will Replace Earl Thomas in 2014 Pro Bowl
- No New York Giants Named to 2014 Pro Bowl; Antrel Rolle Calls His Snub a “Joke”
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Named a 2013 AP Second Team All-Pro
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17qx