Antrel Rolle Trying to “Sell” New York Giants to Jermichael Finley

February 4th, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Although help along the offensive line is the New York Giants' most glaring need, there's little flash about 300+ lbs. men battling it out in the trenches. And as General Manager Jerry Reese can attest, Big Blue fans like flashy. It's for that reason a hot offseason topic will be unrestricted free agent tight end Jermichael Finley, who not only fits a need for the Giants, but would find a comfortable place in a Ben McAdoo-run offense.

Like many fans, Giants players are not immune to this line of thinking. It's for that reason safety Antrel Rolle spent much of Super Bowl Sunday trying to "sell" the New York Giants to the talented tight end, reports Tom Rock of Newsday.

"He said that he would love to be a part of the Giants," Rolle said. "He was telling me Ben McAdoo is a brain, that he’s going to keep defenses guessing, he’s very smart. I just said ‘Yes!’"

And playing for the Giants is not a new thought for Finley. The six-year veteran said during Super Bowl week that "if [Ben McAdoo] came calling, I guess I'd go running."

The major concern with Finley is a serious neck injury — and subsequent surgery — that ended his 2013 season. However, while making the rounds at Radio Row a week ago, Finley told Pro Football Talk that he's about 99.9% recovered and will be cleared for contact sometime over the next three or four weeks. He was previously cleared to run routes and catch passes.

Health could make Finley a hot free agent commodity. In 70 career games with the Green Bay Packers, the tight end hauled in 223 passes for 2,785 yards and 20 touchdowns. His best season came in 2011 when he caught 55 passes for 767 yards and eight touchdowns.

In six NFL seasons, Finley has played in all 16 games only twice — 2011 and 2012.

Photo credit: elviskennedy / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Ben McAdoo, Football, Jermichael Finley, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL

20 Responses to “Antrel Rolle Trying to “Sell” New York Giants to Jermichael Finley”

Would be interesting but he had always been inconsistent. On the positive side I’m not sure he’d command a big contract.

2.  Eric S says:

He’s an immense physical talent. But he’s inconsistent catching the ball. Coming off a neck injury also concerns me. I seem to recall the Guants strategy against him a few years ago in the NFC Champ game being “beat up 88″. The thought was he loses focus and drops balls when it gets physical out there.

3.  JBeast3 says:

repost

My offseason plan to fix the giants:

Extend Eli and Rolle to free up cap space, have Snee retire or cut him to save 7 mil with these moves we should have about 30 mil in cap space.

Resign:

Draft:
    1. CB Dennard
    2. OG Yankey
    3. OLB Telvin Smith
    4. RB James White

•  Kettles78 says:

Do you bite the bullet on baas? Or do you tie up that much money in centers? I don’t think releasing him is much if an option financially this year from what I remember

•  jb322 says:

I would add Nicks to the list of signings and substitute Andre Williams as the rb. I might also drop Mack and think of taking Weston Richburg or Brian Stork in the 3rd round. I would love to have Dennard and Yankey, that right there would make it a successful draft.

•  JBeast3 says:

I dont think we can afford Nicks especially if we are looking to upgrade the OL in FA. I think Mack is needed here more than a rookie. We know a rookie 3rd round pick will not play over Baas. I rather get Mack move Baas over to G and take an OLB in the third. Telvin Smith can be had in the 3rd as of now and i know he isn’t the biggest guy and might be a bit weak against the run but he is a good prospect.

PS I do like Stork in the 3rd esp if we dont sign Mack

•  JBeast3 says:

I envisioned Baas at G ( he played it in SF) Mack at C and Yankey on the bench until he out plays Baas or until Baas gets injured.

OL would be:

Beatty, Baas, Mack, Asamoah, Pugh

•  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Mack will sign for 7-8 mil per and asamoah will sign for 5-6 mil per

4.  jfunk says:

Meh. Finley has always looked the part but rarely seems to produce on par with expectations. I feel like the last thing we need is an oft-injured underachiever.

If McAdoo wants him and he comes cheap, I wouldn’t want to quash his bringing in one of his own guys for familiarity’s sake in his first year, but other than that I’d pass.

5.  Kettles78 says:

I would like Finley if he is healthy. He needs to get himself 100% healthy. He does tend to disappear but maybe a change of scenery is what he needs

6.  William says:

Another Super Bowl and what have we learned??

-Interestingly, we discovered that our home stadium can be loud and cause offenses to be intimidated, who knew. If granola eating, sandal wearing fans can create noise I wonder what real NY fans could produce?
    -We saw a defense be dominate by being super aggressive. Over the 3 Seattle playoff games I can say with certainty that Seattle never rushed 3 people…EVER, nor did they “ever” drop Cliff Avril into coverage.
    -Special teams matter. Being bad in punt or kickoff coverage is unacceptable and just throwing a warm body back for punts and kickoff returns in very short sighted.

7.  Kettles78 says:

Assuming the Giants go after a RB in free agency, would you prefer:
    Ben Tate
    James Starks
    Knowshon Moreno
    Chris Johnson (assuming he is released)
    Another free agent RB

8.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

You guys are coming up with ridiculous numbers and ridiculous free agents signing with us . Moreno is going to command top dollar there is no way we sign Mack , Moreno, or Chris Johnson.
    Guys I want us to sign that we can afford are ( vontae Davis, de la ****, the center from Green Bay, Ben Tate, quarless, asomoah.

Who would you guys rather sign at DT ? Jason hatcher(cowboys have no cAp space) or landfill for same $$$$ ?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Moreno isn’t that good. He’s not getting top dollar. CJ is on the last leg of his career, not sure he’s that sought after. Tate will command more then both of these guys but I, not sure for what? He’s decent at best.

Cleveland will be resigning Mack. Cleveland I’ll have a very good team if they get a QB. Yup I said it. that o-line of Cleveland’s is pretty stout. Breaking it up would be silly and the browns have the money to pay.

9.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

Antrel on Finley: “He’s a fiery guy & that’s something we can use on the offensive side of the ball, a guy w/some fire, a guy w/ intensity.”

Looking at you Hakeem nicks . Definitely not referring to my boy Cruz .

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

If we want a player like finely, then draft Ebron. He’s younger, faster and more hungry at this point then Finley is.

Finley is damaged goods IMO, between he concussions and the neck injury… I, worried about his health and pretty sure he’s concerned with his as well.

•  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

I agree 100% but Ebron is too high at 12. We could trade down pick up an extra 2nd and still get Ebron if and ONLY if we take care of Oline in FA otherwise only OLINE,wr , cb make sense at 12