Super Bowl XLII Voted Greatest Super Bowl of All-Time

February 3rd, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Leading up to Super Bowl XLVIII, NFL Network asked the fans to vote in a poll to determine the greatest Super Bowl of All-Time. And just prior to kickoff on Sunday night, the votes were tallied and the winner was announced: Super Bowl XLII between the New York Giants and New England Patriots stood tall and was named the greatest of all-time.

"The fans have spoken," David Tyree posted via Facebook. "Humbled."

For Giants fans, this poll will not come as much of a surprise. Anyone who lived through Super Bowl XLII will forever proclaim it be the greatest game ever played, as well as the biggest upset of all-time. For the wildcard Giants to knock off the then 18-0 Patriots … it's just something that will only grow more and more impressive over time.

Coincidentally, today marks the sixth anniversary of that tremendous upset. So what better way to celebrate it than having it names as the single greatest Super Bowl in NFL history?

Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.

Tags: David Tyree, Football, New England, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Super Bowl XLII

29 Responses to “Super Bowl XLII Voted Greatest Super Bowl of All-Time”

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    February 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    There will be no dynasties in today’s NFL. Wax all you want about the youth and potential of Seattle and how their quarterback is on a rookie deal, but that all ends after next season. And their success with later round draft picks? Largely the luck of the draw. Once you get into the fifth round no one knows how a player will turn out. No one.

Meanwhile, all of Eli’s critics, including many around here, should think about how one of the GOATs (his brother) looked when he had little protection, his receivers decided to make business decisions after being hit hard a few times by the Seahawks’ secondary, he had no running game, and the game plan played right into the strengths of the defense. The level of ignorance about the game on the part of most fans astonishes me, but then I expect most people to be intelligent and that’s a mistake.

I took a few things from that game:

1) Peyton may not be through, but he can’t throw the long ball, so a strong defense will beat him if they realize that and don’t play deep (most of the defenses in the NFL aren’t all that strong, so he can still be an effective quarterback, but right now I’ll take Eli over him);

2) Perry Fewell, and Tom Coughlin, should be taken to the woodshed if they continue to play bend-don’t-break after seeing what a real defense looks like. We have the secondary to do to offenses exactly what Seattle did. I’ll take Rolle and Hill and expect them to do just as well as Thomas and Chancellor (whom I begged the Giants to draft when he came out, knowing he’d become exactly what he has proved to be), and Prince could be a very aggressive corner (as he has proved coming up against the run). We can draft another. But we probably won’t change, and that is one of the reasons I do not want to hear about an extension for Coughlin; and

3) Bruno Mars is a combo of James Brown and Michael Jackson, is headed toward superstardom, and was the highlight of the game unless you’re a Seattle fan or like largely dumb commercials.

Krow says:
    February 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    Fewell’s bend-over defense is the perfect patsy for uptempo, spread offenses. I said this earlier, but our defensive scheme is virtually the opposite of Seattle’s. If we come out next year with the same philosophy then I fear we can expect the same results.

Eric S says:
    February 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Well Fewell is still here so his brand if defense will be too.

GOAT56 says:
    February 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    I don’t think you can consider Seattle’s success luck with late to mid round picks. It’s not just one guy it’s been many guys. I think what some have missed with Carroll is much like Jimmy Johnson did with those cowboy teams he seems to bring more knowledge about college players than most NFL team have. He picked Thomas above his own USC highly rated safety. He has a guy like Maxwell who just steps in and looks like a probowl player when he was their 4th CB. Look at Steve Smith’s brother, they wanted him all along but the played the draft right and got him in the 7th round. I think you’re greatly underrated their talent evaluation.

I also think your criticism of our defensive schemes in comparison to Seattle’s is just wrong. I saw Seattle bring very few blitzes and play mostly play zone. They just got consistent pressure with 4. When you get pressure with 4 like we did in 2011 you can stop any QB. Seattle’s back 7 is great but that game was won by the front 4.

•  Krow says:

So you think Seattle played a soft zone like us huh? I thought they looked different. Weird.

•  jfunk says:

I’d have to watch again (and I won’t), but my impression was that he is right.

I saw lots of zone, guys being passed off deep, safeties nowhere in the frame at the snap, etc.

They just did it great. They’re incredibly fast (including amazing change of direction, especially from the safeties who go from a backpedal to a forward sprint with ankle-breaking acceleration), and hit like a freakin ton of bricks.

I think they played their zone better. I don’t think our zone is necessarily soft we just don’t play our responsibilities nor have as good of players in the back 7 as Seattle so it looks different. Their success isn’t in scheme it’s their players. They don’t confuse you they just beat you. We improve our pass rush hopefully with Tuck returning, JPP regaining form and Moore developing plus add a starting quality CB and we can look more like Seattle. Our defense was good this year, just not dominant. I think with a better pass rush and addition of a starting quality CB we can become dominant type of defense.

My point isn’t that fewell scheme’s are the best or that he’s great but I don’t think he’s hold us back. And that seems to be the thought here by some.

•  Krow says:

Funny, but I thought the Seattle defense looked a lot different than ours. Guess there’s no reason to change then.

Don’t argue. He has made some pretty outrageous statements today. This one was just ridiculous, but sometimes you have to let horses have their head.

Because I don’t agree my statements are just crazy. Seattle just has to be lucky and they are winning because their schemes not their players are better. Yeah there’s not way that’s a valid argument.

No, but their zone is absolutely NOT the same as ours. Their safeties don’t drop nearly as far, their corners press the receivers and force them into areas easier for the safeties to get to, and their linebackers play different passing lanes than do ours. It’s a totally different defense except for those who don’t pay attention to the varieties of zone.

And they never drop one of the front four into coverage.

As for your other argument, give me a break. You really think player evaluations of the 175th player picked in the draft are better because the coach used to be a college coach? Or that ANYONE knows if that player will translate into a quality NFL player. That CAN be the case for players picked in the first 90-110 picks, but beyond that its pretty much a crapshoot.

Krow I disagree about Denver. I think the Seattle defense with their pass rush ability and their DBs is just a bad match for Denver. But other top defenses like SF or Carolina were much better matchups because of their CBs. I didn’t see the margin at all but I thought Denver matched up badly against this Seattle defense if they got a consistent pass rush.

Also, I think we all forget that Denver is playing without 2 of it’s top 3 players in Clady and Miller. Denver also had a lot of injuries to their defense and back of their roster which killed their special teams. I think Denver played two games in the playoff against teams that overachieved so their flaws were just not shown. I think next year with a draft and vets signing on to win Denver can correct a lot. Clady by himself helps the offense a ton because he allows them to help the other tackle and therefore give Peyton a clean pocket.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

don’t forget they lost one of their top DB’s in Chris Harris during the playoffs.

I think Denver was just rattled from the 1st play, and were extremely out of sync.

not taking anything away from the Champs, they deserved it. But Denver could play with them. they just choose the worst time to not show up.

The game got out of hand I agree. But to me it’s similar the the Saints issue versus Seattle. The game definitely could have been a lot closer but Denver with an average defense against that defense was going to have it’s issues.

•  Krow says:

As FF55 points out, it’s a week-to-week league. I don’t doubt that any team can make a dramatic turn around … in either direction But it seems like the power is in the NFC right now. It will change of course. The AFC will rise. Maybe even in a year or two. And Denver could very well be that team. But does Peyton … 38 in March … want to take that chance?

I see Peyton as the type will play until he can’t play anymore. Think MJ, I think he will even play as a non elite QB if he’s still good as long as he’s still given a passing grad by doctors. I see Peyton at least playing out his 5 year deal.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

REPOST:

BigBlueGiant says:
    February 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Anyone else felt like they were watching the Giants last night?

I was fortunate on friday night to attend the NY Giants Super Bowl party at Bounce 21 in NYC. All the players were their. Got talking to some older players like Rodney Hampton and George Martin which was pretty cool.

Our defense ( Rolle, TT, Stevie Brown, Rivers, Beason, Shaun Rodgers, Jenkins) were all sitting at a table popping bottles, having a good time, While JPP sat at a table away from them close to the DJ booth. Pretty strange that he wasn’t seated with the other defensive guys.

a few other players from other teams were there, some eagle players, some skin’s, ‘boys, Tate from teh Seahawks was there (rocking google glasses) and other players from other teams as well. Too many to name.

here’s the bad news….. And prepare yourselves for this. Seems like we might have a serious problem on our hand with Justin Pugh. The kid’s jaw was moving from side to side faster than if Mayweather was using it as a speedbag. He was constantly making trips to the bathroom and drinking like a whale. In fact, i asked someone who sees him out frequently and they said that he is building quite a reputation around the sports world as a partier and is always doing cocaine whenever he’s out.

Hey, at least it’s in the offseason. But you have heard it here first. So if there’s a violation of drug poilcy in the future, don’t be shocked. He needs to get act together. It was VERY noticeable and he looked like a fool.

The thing about the drug policy is you get at least one freebie testing wise before suspension.

•  Krow says:

Awesome. Looks like our crack personnel department did their homework on this kid. Well done Reese.

•  Krow says:

Does Pugh have a Facebook page or a Twitter account? If so we should all ask him about these drug/party rumors. “Hey dude … is it true you’re snorting your career up your nose?”

•  Nosh.0 says:

Well that’s not good. I happen to know some dirt on a Giants player as well but that was more of the cheating on his wife type dirt. Which while sucks for his marriage, does’t really affect on field play. Pugh doing bumps in bathroom stalls is a bigger issue. Why can’t he just smoke weed like a normal NFL player.

•  rlhjr says:

Got two words for you BBG, “Lawrence” “Taylor”. And he did it during the season. Of course, Pugh is just a mere mortal. Whereas we’re all still trying to figure Taylor out.

Let us know when Pugh comes to an offensive meeting with hand cuffs on and no key to speak of……………….LOL.

Seriously, I hear you man, the dude needs to tighten up if that’s his act.
      Pretty sure this has not reached Reese, Coughlin or old man Mara yet.
      But it will and Pugh ought to have enough smarts to realize that.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

55 posted earlier about how a great QB can look pretty bad with a poor OL, which is basically my sentiments when it comes to rebuilding our OL and why it needs to be given top priority.

I probably give Eli more blame than 55 does, but I also realize he needs help. I know some on here think that our OL doesn’t need a complete rebuild, but I disagree. We need at least 3 new starters on it. And if you want to beat these young fast defenses like Seattle and San Fran, having a physical OL that allows you to run the ball on them is a huge key to success. It’s why I believe we should look hard into drafting an OT at #12 and look into moving Pugh inside where he has the physical ability to be a pro bowler, unlike his ability to play RT which is that of a good not great player.

•  Krow says:

Especially if Pugh turns out to be pulling a Philip Seymour Hoffman.

•  rlhjr says:

Hey, we all said we needed a pot head. We got the coke head instead.
        Every team needs at least two. What we don’t need are Rhodes Scholars.
        They do way too much thinking and way to little beating the brains out of the opposition. IMHO……………..

If Snee has a drug problem and is a “partier” then the Giants are really a pretty stupid franchise because they have a close relationship with the Syracuse program and should’ve known EVERY detail about their first-round pick before they made the selection.

I’m skeptical about this information, but we’ll see.

6.  rlhjr says:

From what I can tell, Seattle runs combination coverage. You as an offense have the figure out which side of the field and when they will be in man, zone or combo. They are clever because sometimes you see one safety high.
    But they end up with two (deep) over. Pretty sure they run mostly man in the red zone.

Also pretty sure when Chancellor light up Vernon Davis, Frisco’s chance to win that game was gone. No more lead in the pencil. Davis went into self-imposed exile after that shot.

The Seahawk secondary is like a riled nest of hornets. And it’s there secondary that changes games for them. That and very good run defense.

This is correct. But their zone is also a different zone than ours. Different drops by the safeties and linebackers; corners forcing receivers into different passing lanes; allowing short crossing patterns but not allowing 10-12 yard easy completions, thus requiring receivers to take hits. There are a LOT of different zones. Saying theirs is the same as ours is like saying the Empire State Building and the Chysler Building are the same. They’re both tall, beautiful, buildings. They’re both icons. But they are radically different from each other and it’s all in the details.

•  rlhjr says:

Thing that get me about then is almost every time the ball get out, they have a man in position to challenge the catch or knock the living $7!+ out of the receiver.
        The are supremely coordinated and very well coached in their technique.

If the Giants maintain their secondary and add a really good corner, they could be similar. But without guys like Sherman and Thomas similar is about all she wrote.
        And I take nothing from Hill or Rolle, but neither is a Thomas. Rolle is very good.
        Hill may one day be special. Provided he stays out of stir.

However, with JPP return to form and proper utilization of Moore, the Giants can make their secondary much better. Those things and some pressure up the middle can make he Giant defense very good indeed.