February 2nd, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Warren Sapp's verbal onslaught of retired New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan has been well documented for over a year now. And although he's faced significant pressure to alter his stance on Strahan — both personally and professionally — Sapp took exception to being called a "coward" earlier this week and challenged Strahan to "pick a spot" to meet him.

“Pick the spot and I’ll come see you and you can have a dose of it," Sapp said.

Strahan subsequently ignored Sapp, brushing off the seemingly endless nonsense, and on Saturday night, was appropriately voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame — almost one exact year to the day he was previously snubbed.

It was an incredible accomplishment for one of the NFL's all-time great players and people. And during his initial celebration, Strahan and Sapp coincidentally came face-to-face. However, what transpired next could not have been predicted by anyone.

“I saw Michael Strahan last night on my way going to [see] Derrick Brooks. I walked up to him, I grabbed him and hugged him and wouldn’t let him go," Sapp admitted on the NFL Network. "I said, ‘Please forgive me.’ I said, ‘Dumb Lex Luther came to the great city of Gotham and pulled Superman’s cape, how foolish could I have been?’ Please forgive me.”

Considering Sapp had, just days earlier, essentially challenged Strahan to fight, his apologetic pleading for forgiveness is somewhat suspect. And, ultimately, his bark was much, much bigger than his bite.

It remains unclear how the rest of their exchange went, but at least for the time being, the hatchet appears to have been buried.

Photo credit: Anthony Quintano / Foter / CC BY

Tags: Football, Hall of Fame, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Warren Sapp

7 Responses to “Days After Challenging Michael Strahan to Meet Him, Warren Sapp Pleads for His Forgiveness”

1.  Dirt says:

kujo,

The Giants finished the season somewhere in the ballpark of less than $300K under the cap. Dismissing $300K on a team likely to be right against the cap again is foolish, no matter if it’s Eli Manning, Chris $nee, Bear Pascoe or Turd Ferguson.

•  kujo says:

Sorry, I will continue to dismiss it because Eli, Snee, Rolle and Baas are the salary problems, not Bear Pascoe and his extra $300k.

And despite the fact that most teams that are “up against the cap”, it will only be problem if Reese doesn’t deal with those 4 players. See, there’s nothing wrong with being “up against the cap” when your roster is filled with good players making good money. But if you’re issue is that you’ve got 4 older veterans who make almost half, or more, of your cap, that’s when you’re in trouble.

•  Dirt says:

You’re right that there’s nothing wrong with being up against the cap. Except when you need to add talent. Then you need to find a bunch of three hundred thousands. I’d prefer the “all of the above” approach vis-a-vis the players being discussed.

•  kujo says:

No doubt about it. Just saying that the reason we are up against it has nothing to do with the Pascoes, Hezlichs and Pattersons on the team.

2.  Jason McEwan says:

Sapp is now on strike 2 with the NFL Network; strike 1 was when he called Shockey a snitch at the onset of the bounty gate scandal. One more slip up by Sapp and his analyst days are over.

3.  kujo says:

As for Super Bowl Sunday related decadence, allow me to divulge the menu in the Kiernan House this evening:

1) Bacon wrapped shrimp with my homemade spicy chipotle BBQ sauce
    2) Spinach dip
    3) Sloppy-joe biscuits
    4) Rumake (bacon-wrapped water chestnuts)
    5) Hot wings
    6) Dark chocolate chip cookies
    7) Buffalo chicken dip
    8) A whole bunch of growlers from the local brewery my sister-in-law works at

•  skinnydoogan says:

Ok so I have one question, am I still on the sh**list or can I come over and partake in the treats? I’ll bring something good……