Warren Sapp's verbal onslaught of retired New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan has been well documented for over a year now. And although he's faced significant pressure to alter his stance on Strahan — both personally and professionally — Sapp took exception to being called a "coward" earlier this week and challenged Strahan to "pick a spot" to meet him.
“Pick the spot and I’ll come see you and you can have a dose of it," Sapp said.
Strahan subsequently ignored Sapp, brushing off the seemingly endless nonsense, and on Saturday night, was appropriately voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame — almost one exact year to the day he was previously snubbed.
It was an incredible accomplishment for one of the NFL's all-time great players and people. And during his initial celebration, Strahan and Sapp coincidentally came face-to-face. However, what transpired next could not have been predicted by anyone.
“I saw Michael Strahan last night on my way going to [see] Derrick Brooks. I walked up to him, I grabbed him and hugged him and wouldn’t let him go," Sapp admitted on the NFL Network. "I said, ‘Please forgive me.’ I said, ‘Dumb Lex Luther came to the great city of Gotham and pulled Superman’s cape, how foolish could I have been?’ Please forgive me.”
Considering Sapp had, just days earlier, essentially challenged Strahan to fight, his apologetic pleading for forgiveness is somewhat suspect. And, ultimately, his bark was much, much bigger than his bite.
It remains unclear how the rest of their exchange went, but at least for the time being, the hatchet appears to have been buried.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Warren Sapp Doesn’t Think Michael Strahan is a Hall of Famer: All He Has is a ‘Mythical Sack Record’
- Michael Strahan on Warren Sapp: “A Tiger Does not Pay Attention to the Opinion of a Sheep”
- Ex-Giant Keith Hamilton Hammers Warren Sapp Over Comments on Michael Strahan
- Warren Sapp Challenges Michael Strahan: “Pick the Spot and I’ll Come See You”
- Retired Giants DE Michael Strahan not Stressing Over Hall of Fame; “Hopes” to Get in This Year
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17mx