Mike Patterson Would Like to Return to New York Giants in 2014

February 1st, 2014 at 3:00 PM
By Billy Javed

It’s no secret that the New York Giants run defense was their greatest strength in an otherwise abysmal 2013 season as they only allowed two running backs to rush for over 100 yards the entire season (DeAngelo Williams and Ryan Mathews). With the addition of Jon Beason the defense eventually catapulted into the top ten overall after a slow start. Beason certainly provided a spark for the defense, but could not have made the same impact without the help from the “big butts” that made up the Giants defensive line.

'Football: Jets v Eagles, Sep 2009 - 02' photo (c) 2009, Ed Yourdon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

While Linval Joseph and Cullen Jenkins had strong seasons and were able to keep blockers off of Beason, the line play was not simply just a four-man show. The rotation kept linemen fresh and provided valuable depth in the event of injuries. As a result the Giants were a tough team to run the football on. One of the key contributors to such a feat was former Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle, Mike Patterson.

In his first eight seasons in the NFL, Patterson faced the Giants at least twice each year. As a result, he gained some respect for the Giants defensive line as he watched from the opposite sideline. Throughout the years, the Giants have produced fearsome defensive lineman that have won everything from Pro Bowl honors to Super Bowl titles, whereas the Eagles’ only real consistent threat on the defensive line has been Trent Cole.

Patterson was recently quoted as saying, “I waited a long time to get into this locker room.” To which he added, “hopefully I’m back next season.”

While Patterson’s numbers don’t suggest any real valuable production — as he finished the year with 23 tackles, 0 sacks, and 3 tackles for loss — his impact can be assessed on tape. The veteran was often in the right position, protecting Beason from blockers, causing a few errant passes, while also clogging the middle.

On paper however, Patterson translates to an average or less than average lineman that demanded only $620,000 for his services. As a result, the demand and asking price may not be too much higher than it was for this past year and it is feasible to see Patterson returning for a second season, especially considering his desire to return.

In the event fellow defensive tackle Linval Joseph is lost too free agency, the importance of retaining Patterson only grows more important. Don’t be surprised if Patterson is back in the rotation next season with a one or two-year deal.

Tags: Cullen Jenkins, DeAngelo Williams, Football, Jon Beason, Linval Joseph, Mike Patterson, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Trent Cole

16 Responses to “Mike Patterson Would Like to Return to New York Giants in 2014”

Repost:

I really don’t like the idea of Pascoe returning. He’s a JAG if that. But I think it’s not a big deal because with changes to the offense and a new OC I think Pascoe struggles to make the team. I still would prefer getting more reps for Robinson and Donnell to see if they can help in 2014. Either one has a better chance to impact 2014.

Patterson should only return if Joseph is not re-signed or Jenkins is released. Patterson is a good 3rd DT but if Joseph and Jenkins are back we just don’t need Patterson. Hankins should be ready to be at least ready for the 3rd DT and maybe a starter. Patterson is someone that should be a top 3 DT. If he’s at the vet minimum level again then re-signing him hurt but I it would seem that Patterson is worth more.

I have long said I think Joseph is as important as any free agent we have. While a top 3 of Jenkins, Hankins and Patterson might be able to get us by in 2014 it puts the DT position in possible re-building mode for 2015. Or it makes us use a high draft pick on an area we might not need even a late rounder on. I also think Joseph is on the come so his best years aren’t even here yet.

•  Kettles78 says:

Pastor is the only tight end on the team that can block and slide to fb

I assume you mean Pascoe. We can add a different TE in free agency and/or the draft. That’s not a reason we need to keep Pascoe headed into the offseason. In this modified offense I doubt Pascoe can effectively slide to FB.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

Not trying to be a jerk about this, I know I have in the past. But, Joseph and Nicks are not coming back. I only bring it up because I see both these names being brought up every few threads, and it’s obvious that neither one will be returning. We went through this with Marty B, Kenny Phillips, and Mario the year before. I just think we should be talking about things with more relevance. Like where I can score a fake game worn Giants jersey.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Could you imagine the reaction if we wrote articles as if they had already officially left?

“Patterson should be a priority because Joseph is moving on via free agency….”

Cue all the forum posts:

“Giants 101 reports Linval Joseph is 100% a goner.”

Beat writers pick it up:

“Free agency hasn’t even started yet, folks. Don’t believe Giants 101. This is why you shouldn’t read blogs.”

Then one of two things happens:

1 – Joseph signs elsewhere and the beat writers post “They just threw stuff up against a wall. It was never a foregone conclusion.” The internet readers subsequently sh*t all over us for making up fake reports and traffic plummets.
      2 – Joseph Re-Signs and the beat writers post “See? This is why you don’t trust them.” The internet readers subsequently sh*t all over us for making up fake reports and traffic plummets.

For the benefit of our site, we’ll continue to write as if their future is uncertain. lol

3.  TroyThorne says:

I agree with Nosh. I can’t think of anything more irrelevant to the Giants than who will be on our roster next season and how we choose to spend our money in the offseason. Both really inconsequential when you think about it.

That was sarcasm in case it didn’t translate well.

4.  Dirt says:

Sorry, Mike, we don’t have any money for you. See, we spent it all on $nee and Pascoe.

5.  jb322 says:

I really think Pascoe is done. I don’t see where he brings anything to this team. I think you have to bring Joseph back. He would be my number one priority. As long as Patterson can be brought back on something just above vet minimum, I’m all in.

On a slightly different subject, whats the deal with Gilbride Jr? Tight End coach? Really?

6.  kujo says:

Bear Pascoe is fine, but it’s not his fault that he receives consistently solid playing time each and every year. That would be the fault of this organization, which has chosen to treat the TE position much like the linebacker spot–spend pennies (or supposedly “crapshoot” draft picks) on “could be’s” that only stay on the team for one or two years.

If you don’t like Pascoe, it’s simple–draft Zak Ebron at #12. Otherwise, STFU about a guy who has played well in his limited role, and contributed to our last Super Bowl.

7.  kujo says:

Giants 101 ?@Giants_101 now
    RT @giantswfan Voting for @profootballHOF has concluded…..early but unconfirmed word is #Strahan will be in

!!!! F*** you Sapp!!!!

8.  Sintexo says:

The draft simulator site we were all using last year was http://first-pick.com/

Too bad it’s not as easy to trade down in real life as it is in the simulator.

9.  kujo says:

And this “any money spent on Patterson/Pascoe” bit is supremely retarded. Teams don’t just throw their entire salary cap at their impending free agents. You have to sign role players, just like everything else. Whether or not Nicks or Linval or Tuck or anyone else remains on this team doesn’t have a damn thing to do with whether we sign these 3rd tier players. If we won’t those guys back, or want to sign other big name guys, three people need to cough up money:

1) Eli
    2) Rolle
    3) Snee

Plain. And simple.

•  Krow says:

Did you miss the “two years $1.8 million” part. That’s what’s retarded. Vet minimum … no problemo.

We should pay player because they were on the SB roster. There are just other JAG TEs we can get that are just better. We don’t have to draft a first round TE to find a guy better than Pascoe. I think the concern with keeping Pascoe is TC seems comfortable with him but we just need much more of a threat a TE than he provides. That SB team had 2 high level WRs and a very good 3rd WR, we don’t have that now so we can’t away with someone like Pasoe playing much of a role.

Here’s the reason why I think we keep Joseph and his name is Cofield. In hindsight of all the free agents we lost the one that seems like a poor decision is Cofield. Canty was good when he played but watching Cofield play for Washington I feel confident Cofield would have been at least as good for us and he would still be playing at a high level. Joseph is at a similar stage but I think with even more upside. You don’t get better by losing a player like Joseph. I know JPP cost a lot of money but only if we keep don’t Tuck is no one else on the DL making big money.

We draft players to keep them. Cofield was the rare example of a young productive player without injury concerns we let leave. I believe that was a mistake and I think JR has learned and if Joseph has a reasonable contract like Cofield got he will return.