With his Boston College ties and remarkable story, linebacker Mark Herzlich was immediately a fan favorite in New York. Even prior to signing with the New York Giants, fans were clamoring for Big Blue to add him as an undrafted rookie free agent. And when they did, the celebration was on like they had been given a free bet on World Cup 2014.
What fans may not know however, was that former Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress really sold New York to Herzlich during the NFL's Rookie Symposium, and made the linebacker even more excited about the prospect of playing for the Giants.
"I met Plaxico at the Rookie Symposium called 'The Business of Football' during the lockout," Herzlich said during a recent interview with Linda Cohn. "So Plax was down there and talked to us, and I talked to him a little but after, and Plax was the nicest guy. He was so encouraging. He's one of the reasons I was pretty excited about becoming a Giant. Because the way that he talked about the organization — even after what he went through — spoke volumes about the way the organization is run."
It's not at all uncommon to hear about current or former players praising the New York Giants, team owners and how the organization is run. But, given the situation that transpired with Burress and what many thought were hard feelings between the two sides at the time, it is interesting to hear that Burress spoke so highly of the Giants.
Then again, some of Burress' greatest career moments came as a member of the New York Giants, including one of the most dominating performances you will ever see by a wide receiver in the 2007 NFC Championship Game.
"Plax, in particular, had an amazing year [in 2007]," Herzlich said, adding praise for his NFC Championship Game performance.
It is truly a shame things ended the way they did between the Giants and Burress, but if nothing else, he, the organization and the fans will always have 2007.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle, Will Hill & Mark Herzlich Named to PFF’s All-NFC East Team
- Former Giants WR Plaxico Burress Pokes Fun at David Tyree, Steve Smith & New York Jets: Video
- Former New York Giants WR Plaxico Burress Offered Free Agency Advice, Guidance to Hakeem Nicks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17k5