Admit it. When you woke up on Thursday morning and read that the New York Giants and quarterback Eli Manning had been named in a lawsuit alleging they had knowingly created and distributed fake "game-used" memorabilia for years, it felt like someone had punched you in the stomach.
Well, that's exactly how Eli felt, too.
“It said, ‘Bombshell!’ It was a bombshell to him, too,” Eli's Father, Archie Manning said on Thursday, referring to the New York Post headline. "Eli has always tried to do what is right. It's Super Bowl week, they got a big story out there."
The timing of leak is somewhat suspect given that the Super Bowl, which will feature Eli's brother Peyton Manning, is just around the corner. However, the attorney for Eric Inselberg told Giants 101 that the team was informed of the impending lawsuit "weeks ago."
How or why Eli wasn't informed prior to Thursday remains uncertain, but upon learning about the allegations, Manning released the following statement:
"The Giants told me this suit is completely without merit and I have no reason to believe otherwise," Manning said. "The Giants are going to fight it and so will I."
In addition to Eli, the Giants also released a very brief statement on the matter. Their statement can be read here.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants: Lawsuit Against Team, Eli Manning is “Without Any Merit”
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning Releases Statement Regarding Sports Memorabilia Lawsuit
- New York Giants, Eli Manning Created & Distributed Fake Memorabilia: Explosive New Lawsuit
- Archie Manning: Eli Manning is Dying Just Like Everyone on the New York Giants
- Eric Inselberg Vs. New York Giants: Read the Entire Lawsuit
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17j9